Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Big Screen

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
What the hell is wrong with it these days? They had the Everton game on live before our match, and there were so many defects on the screen that you couldn't see the ball or even the players at times!

Comments

• Options
    The club is saving money by cutting back on pixels
  • Options
    Saturday night choice....a working big screen or Steve Waggott....for me the answer is obvious.
  • Options
    It's seriously effected by cold weather despite the insulation fitted at the start of the season. Will get better as the weather improves.
  • Options
    BDL could you try get some insulation fitted to or players? ta.
  • Options
    Sod the players I could have done with some extra insulation today, bloomin' freezing.
  • Options
    I use the burger stall just outside the club store for my extra insulation.
  • Options
    Time to get rid of it, its embarrassing now. Sell what parts work and get the money in the club.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: pshrimpt[/cite]Time to get rid of it, its embarrassing now. Sell what parts work and get the money in the club.

Well, that's our financial worries solved!
  • Options
    We should do like that kid on tinternet, sell the pixels to users to put a logo or pic on... then show it during matchdays, more helpful than me squinting 500m from it when only half the screen works..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]It's seriously effected by cold weather despite the insulation fitted at the start of the season. Will get better as the weather improves.

Other screens around the country (trains stations, Piccadilly circus, every other football club) don't seem to be affected by the weather, if this is true, why not turn it off when the weather is that bad, or insultate it more. I'd be interested to see the vast improvement come the summer.

I believe its more to do with the cost of replacing the units when they burn out.

Either way, we have played ourselves by getting it sponsored at the start of the season but not ensuring there was enough money for insultaiton / maintenance as we are now stuck with it for the rest of the season. Embarassment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it owned (leased?) by one of Richard Murray's companies?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]It's seriously effected by cold weather despite the insulation fitted at the start of the season. Will get better as the weather improves.

Other screens around the country (trains stations, Piccadilly circus, every other football club) don't seem to be affected by the weather, if this is true, why not turn it off when the weather is that bad, or insultate it more. I'd be interested to see the vast improvement come the summer.

I believe its more to do with the cost of replacing the units when they burn out.

Either way, we have played ourselves by getting it sponsored at the start of the season but not ensuring there was enough money for insultaiton / maintenance as we are now stuck with it for the rest of the season. Embarassment

Wrong.

It's over 10 years old now and showing it's age. There is an engineer present every game, it's switched on early to warm it up. The club have enough money to pay for the cells to be repaired (that was all budgeted for). It will improve as the weather gets better. However I would imagine that this particular screen will not be with us next season whatever happens.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

Wrong.

It's over 10 years old now and showing it's age. There is an engineer present every game, it's switched on early to warm it up. The club have enough money to pay for the cells to be repaired (that was all budgeted for). It will improve as the weather gets better. However I would imagine that this particular screen will not be with us next season whatever happens.

BDL....it may well be over 10 years old but I'm sure it's not been located at The Valley in all that time....has it?
  • Options
    They took it out last season and sent it to Manchester for the ufea final.
  • Options
    It's definately not been there 10 years. When the north stand was first built that corner was used for the SKY TV studio/hut that was in 2001/2.

We probably bought it from currys and refused the extended warranty
  • Options
    If you're really embarrassed by it, take a good look at the one they've got at Roots Hall this Friday. That makes ours look like a display at Picadilly Circus.
  • Options
    Yeovil fans were singing "what the f**king hell is that" at it prior to kick off!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Yeovil fans were singing "what the f**king hell is that" at it prior to kick off!

that's because they don't have TV's down in Yeovil

some of them were pointing at the sun and aeroplanes too before cowering
  • Options
    Good point Swisdom. "Witchraft!"
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

Wrong.

BDL....it may well be over 10 years old but I'm sure it's not been located at The Valley in all that time....has it?

We've had the current screen for about five years, it was secondhand when we bought it and replaced the smaller original screen.

What the club paid then would now buy a brand new screen as technology has improved and prices have dropped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The first game it was in use for was v Wolves in January 2004 (won 2-0, Euell & Ambrose).

So its definitely second hand but I can't remember who we got it from though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tommy Dowling[/cite]The first game it was in use for was v Wolves in January 2004 (won 2-0, Euell & Ambrose).

So its definitely second hand but I can't remember who we got it from though.

Pretty sure it was one of RM's companies............................but don't quote me on that.
  • Options
    Ambrose in 2004? ahead of yourself there Tommy!
  • Options
    Switch it off. Its broken.

I only ever look at it to see the game time and that is easily remedied.

We get BDL a flavour flav style watch necklace and have him circling the pitch for 90mins.
  • Options
    So BDL, where's this improvement now the weather's better??
  • Options
    The Big Screen - sponsored by specsavers
  • Options
    Did anyone notice Jackman for Gillingham was spelt 'Jckman' yesterday..... lol :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StubleyAddick[/cite]Did anyone notice Jackman for Gillingham was spelt 'Jckman' yesterday..... lol :)

Actually, that's the correct spelling of his surname. Apparently when his father parked up the caravan outside the registry office he'd had a few and got the spelling wrong. Poor fella has had to live with it ever since, although as none of his family can read or write it's never really been that much of a problem. FACT.
  • Options
    Seriously though, if it doesn't get any better how about they just stick up the team names/scores on a bit of the screen that is still in relatively good nick. Don't really need all of the players names up there do we, particularly when you can't read half of them - like the first three Gills names yesterday. Just looks a mess at the moment.

Oh yeah, and as for that film at half time - what was that all about? All I could hear on the appalling sound quality was a load of young girls giggling incessantly - had no idea what about or what they were saying.
  • Options
    feck the big screen we can't even afford a fourth officials board that works