Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Bugle

Comments

• Options
    Havent been back since -that- palace game. Feel as carter does. Landlord's a tosser if you ask me and doesn't deserve charlton custom.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I agree it takes the piss if people are doing that, I thought the bloke was a prize plate when he gave my mate grief at the Palace game a couple of years ago. He said he didn't need the aggro of a football crowd so I took that problem away from him and won't ever drink his shit beer in his shit pub again. If I'm on one on a match day I'll get through £30 easily drinking on my own. If he don't need that money then that's no dramas to me. I can give it to someone who'll have it and not offer me a twobit opinion or raise my blood temperature.

he was a bit of a fool that day carts from what i remember which isnt much cos after i left there i have hardly no memory of the game or night at all
  • Options
    Anyone care to divulge what exactly happened at the Palace game? If it was the Friday night game i was in there myself all afternoon and don't remember any aggro or anything?
  • Options
    Some comments here Chris. http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=17318&page=1#Item_0
  • Options
    Oh, better here: http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=14273&page=1#Item_0
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Anyone care to divulge what exactly happened at the Palace game? If it was the Friday night game i was in there myself all afternoon and don't remember any aggro or anything?

We had been regulars there for a couple of years, chucked loads of money over the bar then come the Palace game on the Friday Night he claimed he did not need the trade & we were more trouble than we were worth so we decided en masse to depart & leave never to return. I am not going to get personal about it, but those are the undisputable facts!
  • Options
    If i remember, he was on the door and was only letting people in with season tickets. So you were getting people trying to come in in groups of 3 or 4 with one person in the group having a match ticket and not a season ticket and turning them away, even though they drunk in there for every game. When people asked nicely to loosen up a bit, saying they were clearly Charlton supporters he said he didn't care, that the football side of things was only a very small percentage of his takings. The pub wasn't even half full and there was no trouble or anything.

I know quite a few that haven't been back there since, so he really did bite his nose off that day.
  • Options
    I see, cheers for the explanation lads. Seems a bit ridiculous on the landlords part though, alienating football fans when they've got 23 opportunities to go in there over a 9 month period.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I see, cheers for the explanation lads. Seems a bit ridiculous on the landlords part though, alienating football fans when they've got 23 opportunities to go in there over a 9 month period.

And all the Cup games.............
    Oh........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haha, good call paint pot cup, despite some of the comments, never had a problem with Lee. Always seemed a decent bloke, can also understand his issue with non drinkers for live games, probably not a problem with this game.
  • Options
    I like the pub they try their best and have met some good folk in this fine pub
  • Options
    I still drink in there...I like it! Understand people's frustrations re decor and notices, but it's their business and that's how they choose to run it.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I used to drink in the Bugle . had no problem with it apart from the state of the toilets. Even went in the back room a few times to watch the football but i had to wipe my feet on the way out it was so filthy. Dont bother with it now but not down to anything the pub did.

I did read a sign on the door saying if you were watching the footy you had to buy at least 2 pints because it cost £15k a year to have sky. Could this be true?
  • Options
    Regulars openly snorting coke in the toilets summed this up the last time I was in there. Shame as it would have very little competition if it cleaned up a bit. Those Man United fans who think public houses are there purely so they can follow their team free of charge, are lucky if all they are forced to do is buy a drink. It's the world-owes-me-a-living mentality - selfish and inconsiderate in the extreme.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    One can go in and get served virtually straight away, even though it is crowded, and Youngs or Charles Wells Bombardier offer a reasonable choice of bitter.

Rather go there than be ignored for half an hour standing at the bar trying to be served in other Charlton pubs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]One can go in and get served virtually straight away, even though it is crowded, and Youngs or Charles Wells Bombardier offer a reasonable choice of bitter.

Rather go there than be ignored for half an hour standing at the bar trying to be served in other Charlton pubs.

or Bartrams where there have ONE TV that you cant see properly and have bar staff that have the manners of a Jellyfish.
  • Options
    I wouldnt go as far as calling it a fine pub!

Drink in here a bit when having a quick one after work.

That sign on the window will be out front on the sandwich board the week before the game. I like the messages that are often left on there - the one after England V Germany was particularly good.

Such a shame he was so rude to some of you that night as i know from talking to him he does enjoy getting the extra charlton trade, perhaps just not on that particular friday night after someone must have irritated him. No excuse, silly thing to say.

But wish i could get back in the groove of a decent match day drink up. Dont like the Liberal. The oak you cant get served after 2pm and then elesehwere you dont really know anyone. Shame, i get melancholy when i go in the Oak and think how good it used to be with all the girls behind the bar and knowing tonnes in there, how many mates i used to see.

will those days be back? unlikely.
  • Options
    B what's the boozer by the river like before matches is it the anchor

Could be a good pre match beer in there
  • Options
    thats nice but too far down really!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's on odd one, The Bugle. It can't cost much to open that room at the back and the signs about non-drinkers seem overly stroppy. They have a point but the way they make it is not very welcoming for people who do drink. Also they've had live music on at one end of the bar at the same time as live football at the other end, which is just bone-headed. Hard to go in for a quite pint as there's always several tellies on too.

If there is a 2 pint minimum sign at Hardy's, it's more discrete as I haven't noticed it. Hardy's is a cracker, I agree. Good for watching Charlton when they're on the telly and great homemade steak & guinness pies. Nice vibe and good for the horse racing too.
  • Options
    No problem getting served in the Royal Oak on Saturday, right up to kick-off. The places was half-empty. I kid you not, there were gaps at the bar at 2pm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]No problem getting served in the Royal Oak on Saturday, right up to kick-off. The places was half-empty. I kid you not, there were gaps at the bar at 2pm.
    Perhaps if they never charged an additional 30p a pint for matchdays they may see a few more people.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]No problem getting served in the Royal Oak on Saturday, right up to kick-off. The places was half-empty. I kid you not, there were gaps at the bar at 2pm.
    Perhaps if they never charged an additional 30p a pint for matchdays they may see a few more people.

It's not the extra charge that puts me off the Oak. It is the badly kept Hobgoblin and the lack of London Pride. Despite the bad press the Bugle has been getting, I'll be trying it at the next home match.
  • Options
    I'm with you BRTD.

I've used the Oak last seaon & the Pride still was hit & miss.

I haven't bothered this season. Why? The John Smiths at the ground has improved 110%. Can't believe it!!!!!
  • Options
    The only way John Smiths could "improve" is if they closed the brewery down - horrible stuff!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: better red than dead[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]

It's not the extra charge that puts me off the Oak. It is the badly kept Hobgoblin and the lack of London Pride. Despite the bad press the Bugle has been getting, I'll be trying it at the next home match.

BRTD - yesterday I checked what ales they do in the Bugle. They serve IPA, Youngs and Bombardier. And Tetleys i think.

The Bugle is not as bad as Cardinal Sin suggests further up. We've never seen any anyone openly doing drugs in the bogs, not that i go in the mens bogs much... but if people are doing coke in cubicles, sadly its no different to numerous pubs around.
  • Options
    If you show pride in your place then other people will treat it with (a bit more) respect. The fact that you had to get a tetanus jab to go in there left me thinking if you don't care about this place then why should I care about your business.

Much prefer Bartrums but wish they had better / more staff.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]If you show pride in your place then other people will treat it with (a bit more) respect. The fact that you had to get a tetanus jab to go in there left me thinking if you don't care about this place then why should I care about your business.

Much prefer Bartrums but wish they had better / more staff.[/quote]

And more seats and tables , a TV you can see without squinting , polite Barstaff , proper food , ...Etc Apart from that Bartrams is fine

It's amazing how the simple things make a good pub and Bartrams cant get those right. The ONLY thing going for that place is the location.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]If you show pride in your place then other people will treat it with (a bit more) respect. The fact that you had to get a tetanus jab to go in there left me thinking if you don't care about this place then why should I care about your business.

Much prefer Bartrums but wish they had better / more staff.

And more seats and tables , a TV you can see without squinting , polite Barstaff , proper food , ...Etc Apart from that Bartrams is fine

It's amazing how the simple things make a good pub and Bartrams cant get those right. The ONLY thing going for that place is the location.

Bartrams has many faults but seats and tables surely isn't one of them? Loads up the back, some to the left as you walk in plus the booths over to the right. Where do they need more seats/tables?

I like the Bugle actually, although it is far too hot in there. Always get served quickly and has quite a few tvs. Don't see a problem with the notice about buying drinks if you're watching the football.