Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

News on Burton - not for the faint hearted!

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Charlton striker Deon Burton suffers injury blow

Parkinson became Charlton manager in November 2008
Leading scorer Deon Burton is a major doubt for promotion-chasing Charlton's trip to Southend on Friday.

The 13-goal striker was forced to come off with a recurrence of a groin injury 31 minutes into Tuesday's 2-1 defeat by Brighton at The Valley.

Burton postponed surgery to remedy the problem until the end of the season so he could play on.

Manager Phil Parkinson told BBC Radio Kent: "The heavy conditions aggravated the injury so he's a doubt."

Defeat cost Charlton the chance to go third in League One as they sought to follow up Saturday's 2-0 home win against Yeovil.

It left Parkinson to lament the team's lack of consistency since the turn of the year.

The Addicks pieced together six straight wins in August when they topped the league whereas Saturday's success against Yeovil was only their third since the turn of the year.

Parkinson said: "It's essential we return to the levels of consistency we maintained earlier in the season.

"And we're going to have to make goalkeepers work harder than we did against Brighton."

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I think it was unfortunately almost taken as read that Deon wouldn't make the trip to Southend.

Carrying a hernia all season and bare lasted half an hour with a groin niggle. He's in his thirties, he won't be starting a third game in six days on another heavy pitch.
  • Options
    Fair play to him - he's soldiered on with injury problems when others in out so dim and distant past would have taken a spell in physio and missed a few games and used it as an excuse.

For my money Deon has been PoTY this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] For my money Deon has been PoTY this season.

Surely it'd have to be Bailey.
  • Options
    I can see an argument for Burton and Bailey but would throw Christian Dailly into the mix too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE23[/cite]What a ginger bloke who can't pass a ball?

or the one that's scored 12 goals this season from midfield and on occasion been a one-man team
  • Options
    I hope this doesn't mean Akpo will start! Mckenzie and Mooney upfront for me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So if there's no Deon on Friday night, and Parky has said ''we're going to have to make the goalkeeper work harder than we did against Brighton", who should he turn to ?

One presumes if Deon is absent, we will play just one up-front - hopefully with Shelvey celebrarting his 18th birthday by playing 'in the hole'.

But should 'the one' be Akpo? Should it be Mooney? Or do you throw this season's Todorov (aka Leon McKenzie) in there and tell him he won't have to play more than an hour - by which time it's his job to ensure we are ahead?

i confess I have no idea. Parky has what the pundits call 'options'. It's just that none of the 'options' fill one with any confidence...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]So if there's no Deon on Friday night, and Parky has said ''we're going to have to make goalkeepers work harder than we did against Brighton", who should he turn to ?

One presumes if Deon is absent, we will play just one up-front - hopefully with Shelvey celebrarting his 18th birthday by playing 'in the hole'.

But should 'the one' be Akpo? Should it be Mooney? Or do you throw this season's Todorov (aka Leon McKenzie) in there and tell him he won't have to play more than an hour - by which time it's his job to ensure we are ahead?

i confess I have no idea. Parky has what the pundits call as 'options'. It's just that none of the 'options' fill one with any confidence...

Mooney isn't physically robust enough for 4-5-1 so not him.

It is questionable whether either of Leon or Akpo can play 90 minutes so I would expect him to start with one and bring on the other after an hour or so. I'd give Leon a chance myself but Parky will probably start Akpo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Parkinson said: "It's essential we return to the levels of consistency we maintained earlier in the season.

Actually I could put up with a bit of inconsistency right now, rather than being consistently poor.
  • Options
    Mooney isn't physically robust enough for 4-5-1 so not him.

And we played 4-5-1 in the JPT at Southampton with him as the "one" (at least in the first half), it was a disaster.

I doubt McKenzie is fit enough to start so I'd go in with Akpo/Mooney.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Parkinson said: "It's essential we return to the levels of consistency we maintained earlier in the season.

Actually I could put up with a bit of inconsistency right now, rather than being consistently poor.

If he wants consistancy he wants to stop poncing about with the team week in and week out. Decide on his best formation, decide on the best players to play that system and have the fecking balls to stick to his beliefs. Its no wonder the players look like they aint played together before, constantly chopping and changing, being played out of position one minute in the team next minute not even on the bench. How are you going to get consistency out of that. Bailey aint an holding midfield player so why play him there, everyone is moaning his passing aint up to scratch but thats not his game. Its being a nuisance and being in the right place at the right time to knick that vital goal. He wont do that sitting in front of the defence. If you get consistant Parky then maybe your players will too, you know your best team so have the balls to play it. Nows the time to stand up and be counted, its no good just saying what you think are the right words after another defeat. Stop the defeats in the first place, you have the players to do so. Now lead them
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Mooney isn't physically robust enough for 4-5-1 so not him.

It is questionable whether either of Leon or Akpo can play 90 minutes so I would expect him to start with one and bring on the other after an hour or so. I'd give Leon a chance myself but Parky will probably start Akpo.

I think he'll go for 442 with Mooney and Akpo, but if he goes 451 it'll surely be Akpo. Will McKenzie ever get a start?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]If he wants consistancy he wants to stop poncing about with the team week in and week out. Decide on his best formation, decide on the best players to play that system and have the fecking balls to stick to his beliefs.
    Got to be done. Down to Parky as to whether he goes the way of Pardew two years ago or not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]If he wants consistancy he wants to stop poncing about with the team week in and week out. Decide on his best formation, decide on the best players to play that system and have the fecking balls to stick to his beliefs. Its no wonder the players look like they aint played together before, constantly chopping and changing, being played out of position one minute in the team next minute not even on the bench. How are you going to get consistency out of that. Bailey aint an holding midfield player so why play him there, everyone is moaning his passing aint up to scratch but thats not his game. Its being a nuisance and being in the right place at the right time to knick that vital goal. He wont do that sitting in front of the defence. If you get consistant Parky then maybe your players will too, you know your best team so have the balls to play it. Nows the time to stand up and be counted, its no good just saying what you think are the right words after another defeat. Stop the defeats in the first place, you have the players to do so. Now lead them

Devastating comments from Uncle which I hope Parky himself will read...
  • Options
    Its not meant to be deavastating, just a point of view that we really do have the squad to do this they just need guidance, play players to their strenghts and you get the best out of them, horses for courses and all that. I actually like Parky but i think he needs to believe in himself more and then everyone else will believe in him, i hope he reads it to because its not an attack on him its just a voice saying "go for what you believe in" at the end of the day he'll be judged on results so lets start getting some
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Mooney isn't physically robust enough for 4-5-1 so not him.

I think he'll go for 442 with Mooney and Akpo, but if he goes 451 it'll surely be Akpo. Will McKenzie ever get a start?

Having seen Akpoor lead the line at Swindon in a 4-5-1, I'm not so sure he should lead.

But we need to play 3 in CM again, because it's like a wilderness there at the moment with Bailey playing amongst the back 4, and Racon wandering aimlessly around on his own ..... with Sam and Reid isolated hugging each touchline.

Then we need Burton up front ..... oh, right, his groin's playing up so that's bad timing.
    Has to be two, then - the lump and the fairy.

And just Bailey playing amongst the back 4, and Racon wandering aimlessly around on his own ..... with Sam and Reid isolated hugging each touchline.

We need to fill up that centre midfield; there's too much room for opponents playing there.
    Get the CM's right and at least you've got a more solid team unit.

Can McKenzie lead the line, do you reckon .... at least if we play towards feet ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]If he wants consistancy he wants to stop poncing about with the team week in and week out. Decide on his best formation, decide on the best players to play that system and have the fecking balls to stick to his beliefs. Its no wonder the players look like they aint played together before, constantly chopping and changing, being played out of position one minute in the team next minute not even on the bench. How are you going to get consistency out of that. Bailey aint an holding midfield player so why play him there, everyone is moaning his passing aint up to scratch but thats not his game. Its being a nuisance and being in the right place at the right time to knick that vital goal. He wont do that sitting in front of the defence. If you get consistant Parky then maybe your players will too, you know your best team so have the balls to play it. Nows the time to stand up and be counted, its no good just saying what you think are the right words after another defeat. Stop the defeats in the first place, you have the players to do so. Now lead them

Nail on head!
  • Options
    Please don't put any faith in Mckenzie - he ain't gonna do it for us.

I'd rather have Steve Mackenzie back !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Has to be two, then - the lump and the fairy

Oh dear, Oggy - when you of all people start describing our strikers in such unflattering terms, I know we really are in trouble ...

Stay positive, man - you're just about all we've got to cling on to !!!
  • Options
    Uncle. I couldn't agree with you more if I tried. We are currently on the Pardew path to oblivion, it's now time to stand up and be counted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Its not meant to be deavastating

Well whether you meant it to be devastating or not, it most definitely was. If I was Parky I could easily ignore 99 per cent of the criticism on this site. But I'd sit up and take note of that...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Has to be two, then - the lump and the fairy

Oh dear, Oggy - when you of all people start describing our strikers in such unflattering terms, I know we really are in trouble ...

Stay positive, man - you're just about all we've got to cling on to !!!

LOL

I'm not in the best space today, oh incorruptible one.

As soon as the final whistle went last night, I had to dash to the station for trains to get me to Paddington station in time for the overnight Penzance train. I didn't have a sleeping car ticket, so sat up in the seats all night without sleep.

And then had to start work at 8am this morning. - and somehow did a full days work finishing at 6pm.

Just so I could watch that muddled, dysfuctional performance in a draughty half empty stadium with no Charlton atmosphere or support whatsoever.

God, it makes me ashamed to be a Charlton fan.

I'm shattered, sleep deprived and ready to Rottweiler anyone who doesn't agree with me ..... nah, forget that, I'm just gonna have an early night. :o)
  • Options
    Good news this time from the official Twitter page

CAFCofficial Parky told BBC LONDON last night that Deon Burton should be fit for Saturday (MW) #cafc
    about 1 hour ago
  • Options
    happy days
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Good news this time from the official Twitter page

CAFCofficial Parky told BBC LONDON last night that Deon Burton should be fit for Saturday (MW) #cafc
    about 1 hour ago

great news. burton and forster then. hoolahan and holt out for norwich
  • Options
    Do like the idea of Burton and Forster. Can see Reid coming in on the left for Racon as well, Bailey moved into the middle.
  • Options
    Allowing for the lack of out & out pace, Forster with Burton could be exciting. Loads of experience, loads of nous. Hope they can develop a good understanding for the last few games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Good news this time from the official Twitter page

about 1 hour ago

great news. burton and forster then. hoolahan and holt out for norwich

Great stuff.
  • Options
    good news, will be a bit tough on Akpo who (despite some thinking the opposite) I thought had a decent game last night. But he's still a pretty good plan B for the last 25 mins.