Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

News on Burton - not for the faint hearted!

2»

Comments

• Options
    not at all tough on Akpo - he won virtually no headers last night and for a player of his size he is out muscled far too easily - in both aspects Deon this season has been the better player and at this stage we have to play our best 11
  • Options
    Just wish they'd been given a litle more time to develop their partnership....as it is, they've got to fire on all cylinders from the word go, let's hope they have the guile and craft to do so.
  • Options
    Burton has 4 goals in his last 2 games against Norwich. Let's hope he makes in 10 in 3.
  • Options
    Asking a lot to expect Deon to play 90 minutes against the league leaders in such an important game when not match fit.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: choice[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Good news this time from the official Twitter page

CAFCofficial Parky told BBC LONDON last night that Deon Burton should be fit for Saturday (MW) #cafc
    about 1 hour ago[/quote]

great news. burton and forster then. hoolahan and holt out for norwich[/quote]

Great stuff.[/quote]

Do we know for sure that the Hoola man is out? I thought he only had a thigh strain and was touch and go for last night!
  • Options
    I haven't seen Forster 'live' yet but do people who have think a lack of pace will be a problem in a partnership with Burton?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    based on what I've seen and heard so far - in my view he's a decent pro who is able to make up for his lack of pace somewhat, a 'footballer' no less
  • Options
    If we use our wingers to their maximum effect then i dont see the pace of our front two being a problem.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say either Forster or Burton were necessarily 'slow', think they could work really well together.
  • Options
    We could really do with Deon back and raring to go for this one - him & Forster could be mint for us up front....(here's hoping)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]We could really do with Deon back and raring to go for this one - him & Forster could be mint for us up front....(here's hoping)

Are they tall enough to play together?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Forster is no sprinter over distances like Reid or Waggy.

But he's still got quick feet, good touch, good vision and that little bit of guile or footballing intelligence to create space for himself under pressure. IMO, he's a very decent box player.

Like others, I reckon he'd link up well with Burton, another player with good touch, vision and footballing intelligence.

Len asks, "Are they tall enough to play together?"
    Well, Burton moved well and won a lot of high balls in 4-5-1 earlier in the season. I think both players would thrive together, despite having a combined age of nearly 70 years!
  • Options
    I'm not sure this is the right decision. He's obviously not going to last the 90 minutes, and people talk about it working if we have pacey wingers, which will mean either dropping Bailey (not going to happen), or moving him inside at the expense of Racon so we can play Reid or Waggy. Or leave him wide and not have that pace.

Imo Racon has been much more useful than Bailey for a while, and I think Saturday is more suited to Racon, for against better skilled opponents, he should be able to use his excellent footballing skills more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]Imo Racon has been much more useful than Bailey for a while, and I think Saturday is more suited to Racon, for against better skilled opponents, he should be able to use his excellent footballing skills more.

Can't argue with that as far as creative play is concerned, but ..... Bailey is always likely to snatch a goal out of nothing, and it's goals that win matches.
  • Options
    I think Burton makes up for not being terribly tall by using his strength and guile!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]Imo Racon has been much more useful than Bailey for a while, and I think Saturday is more suited to Racon, for against better skilled opponents, he should be able to use his excellent footballing skills more.

Can't argue with that as far as creative play is concerned, but ..... Bailey is always likely to snatch a goal out of nothing, and it's goals that win matches.

But if we are playing Forster and Burton we want them to have as many chances as possible, and imo Racon/Shelvey are the two players who are going to create those for us, and atm I can't see either starting on Saturday. There's a chance Bailey will score but imo a bigger chance one of those two will create a goal for someone else.....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong ........ but I have the distinct impression most of Bailey's goals/chances come from crosses/loose balls from set piece situations or from edge of box half clearances?

He's almost like a 'fox in the box' on the follow ups from set pieces.

I can't remember too many from open attacking moves ...... maybe when Mooney brilliantly headed down for Bailey to hit a screamer against Millwall is one? And the last ditch equaliser I saw him score at Swindon, of course - when he ran half the length of the pitch to rifle home Burton's lay off.

Okay, someone help me out here?