Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Crest

edited February 2010 in General Charlton
Does anyone know the name of the sword portrayed on our crest?
Whilst looking for it I came across this.
Quite funny!

Comments

• That brings back a few memories. I note there's no Palarse history - they've re-invented themselves so often it must be impossible to trace theirs without access to every archive in Surrey!

(Sorry, can't help with the type of sword)
  • It's a longsword.

You can see it better in the original and better 60s version.

Just drop Valiants and use Addicks and away you go
  • excellent thanks Henners.
    Wasn't nothing to do with you that April was it?
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]excellent thanks Henners.
    Wasn't nothing to do with you that April was it?

No, but the Spencer-Percival spoof was all me.
  • The sword-in-hand badge bears a striking similarity to the badge of the Gunn clan. Turn the badge a little to the left and change the words and it's very similar.

Is this merely a coincidence, or is there a member of the Gunn clan (or one of its Septs, like Anderson, George, Henderson, Henry, Johnson, Mann, Neal, Robinson, Swann, Williams, Wilson) in Charlton's dim and distant past?

472px-Clan_member_crest_badge_-_Clan_Gunn.svg.png
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's a longsword.

You can see it better in the original and better 60s version.

Just drop Valiants and use Addicks and away you go[div id=Attachments_643120 class=Attachments][ul][div]60s logo.JPG[/div][/ul][/div]
    that's really nice for a badge
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]The sword-in-hand badge bears a striking similarity to the badge of the Gunn clan. Turn the badge a little to the left and change the words and it's very similar.

Is this merely a coincidence, or is there a member of the Gunn clan (or one of its Septs, like Anderson, George, Henderson, Henry, Johnson, Mann, Neal, Robinson, Swann, Williams, Wilson) in Charlton's dim and distant past?

It wasn't the distant past. It was the 1960s when our new badge was designed
  • better version
  • that last one is lovely.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]that last one is lovely.

Original 1960s, proper enamel as well. They come up on ebay for £5ish fairly often
  • Sponsored links:

• might get one,dont mind a badge on a jacket.
  • For a moment I thought it was the CL badge...
  • edited February 2010
    I can honestly say without hint of bias that Charlton Athletic have the most distinctive eye catching crest in English football. It really is superbly designed, much kudos to whom ever designed it.
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Does anyone know the name of the sword portrayed on our crest?
    Whilst looking for it I came across this.
    Quite funny!

Well hunted!

I nearly pissed myself when I saw the fish & the bird designs. :-D

I didn't really have t'internet back when the club ran the April Fool. Bloody good one too!

I agree with Pilchard that our current design is the most distinctive of club badges. I do like the older sword design, & I also really like the old 'playing card' based design too.
  • I'm biased, of course, but I reckon our badge is the nuts.

Does anyone know who did actually design it? Unlike some badges of the time it still looks as good today as it's always done.
  • bit boring though
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]bit boring though

Rubbish, what do you want on a club badge - a picture of Steven Segal "kickin ass"?
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]bit boring though

Rubbish, what do you want on a club badge - a picture of Steven Segal "kickin ass"?
    well yeah I mean is that too much to ask?
  • thank you dazzler
  • Honestly, you young boyz!
  • Sponsored links:

• Hahaha I much prefer that pin badge design to be honest has a much more stylish look about it!
  • and if you must no my favourite actor is james caan,seagal though one mean dude does not register
  • I'm in shock nolly. All this time ............ and you just go and dump Stevie like that. Shocking, truly shocking.
  • i was humouring you.like the cut of hes jib though. after caan its deniro and after that for comedy woody allen.
  • You don't fool me.
  • love woody allen films,zelig is underrated,and the film where he gets driven home by christopher walken is side splitting.
  • edited February 2010
    The sword also appears on the south sector scooter club patch that i have got
  • edited February 2010
    The sword also appears on the south sector scooter club patch that i have got
  • [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]The sword in hand also appears on the south sector scooter club patch that i have got

You can say that again Love Child!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]better version[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_643191 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]Charlton Badge 60s.JPG[/div][/ul][/div]

I've got that badge, excellent version.