Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MK Dons

1235»

Comments

• Options
    It will never ever be "their" football club. It was stolen simple as that. Had Winkleman taken a team already in Milton Keynes and brought then through the leagues I would've said that was great but not this way.

He's either stolen Wimbledon's league place or had they gone bust as people seem to think would have happened he's stolen a team in the conference's place.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

Me, Charlton born, Charlton supporter, go regularly to games. Now live in a nice market town 13 miles from Milton Keynes.

I was amused at the negative remark about MK. The whole area has a mixed range of housing in differing areas, catering for those in need of social housing to those with plenty of money to burn. Travelling around the road infrastructure (a grid system based upon the New York concept) but with lots of roundabouts, makes travel very easy. The centre is magnificent with it's range of restaurants, cinemas, a theatre, ski dome and pubs; all within walking distance.

To the game last night (I was there as a neutral). The MU fans were magnificent in their continued support of their team, who were poor. I was pleased for MK Dons, the ground was filled to virtual capacity and they enjoyed the biggest result of their relatively short history.

Not the same as watching my beloved Charlton, but nice sometimes to go to a neutral game and leave the rose-speckled glasses behind.

I think I may have been a little scathing.. ;)

In all honesty, I was living in Wolverton - and that was a stunning little town and steeped in history to boot. Not something I expected when I thought of "Milton Keynes". I do genuinely have fond memories of walking along the canal path of an evening (I did a lot of thinking during that time.) and can honestly say I never felt threatened, quite the opposite. (Oh, and a Starbucks in a Tesco - quite the novelty!)

As far as Milton Keynes itself, I fell in love a little bit. I'm someone who very much loves London, and likes to go for a smoke break during work and look out at the skyline and little bits of "history". Yet there was something nice and cosy about Milton Keynes, there was definitely things to do - yet everything was compact, clean and simple. Although, I dare say had it not been for the girl mentioned in my previous post, my memories may have been a little less pleasant.

The football? New town syndrome perhaps. I think attitudes will change, maybe/possibly/gradually beginning with this generation - this will actually be "their" football club, the one they "grew up with" - that will mean a lot. Yeah, family loyalties of Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea will be inherited - but this generation may actually have the Dons ingrained in their psyche like we do Charlton.

I can imagine living there to be honest, I'm not sure about prices - but I would assume you'd get something a bit nicer for your money than down closer to London. It is probably something I would consider if I was single (or with a girlfriend with a different job) actually.

(Reading this post you'd think I was pulling in my pension, I'm only 22!?!)
    your scathing is forgiven :)