Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TESOL/TEFL

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
I'm thinking of doing one of these courses and wondered whether anyone else has and what they thought.

Comments

• Planning on doing one of these in the summer. The CELTA course seems to be the most widely recognised and respected course out there. If you have a teaching qualification then a tefl/tesol basic course is probably gonna be enough. Where are you gonna use it?
  • Possibly Korea QN. I've looked at both courses and the TESOL looks a lot cheaper @ 795GBP. Is there much call for these qualifications over in the Middle East?
  • YOu'll never regret it; (almost) guaranteed work at about £12 / hour and if you want the chance to travel the world.

BEWARE! although it's only a 4 week course, it is very hard work. Apart from 8 hours a day at college, allow 3 hours each night for study and research for essays and lesson preparation . Don't underestimate the effort needed. Cost is about £1,000 so you don't want to fail.

RSA / Cambridge Certificate (it the higher recommendation and is more widely known than others.) Some schools offer a 'tester' week-end to see if you have the aptitude and also to check your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary.

In London International House is the most well known BUT you can combine a 4 week holiday in Paris or Barcelona and take the course there.

Good luck
  • Thanks Dave. I'd heard it was intense. Got my interview in an hour to see if I get on it. There's also some pre-course work apparantly! Where have you used yours?
  • In Paris, Shanghai, Switzerland, Moscow....It really is a great, quick and effecient way to kick-start your little grey cells and change career mid-life. I found there were more TEFL jobs than straightforward teaching jobs. Pay is less but opportunities are wider. Let's hear how you get on.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Thanks Dave. I'd heard it was intense. Got my interview in an hour to see if I get on it. There's also some pre-course work apparantly! Where have you used yours?

You heard in was Intense.........................for that sort of money I would want to sit in a proper class room ;-)

I'll get me coat.
  • good luck with it. considered this myself but still in two minds. ive been told though to go for the ones that have been mentioned and not some of the cheaper quicker options that you see advertised on the web
  • Got on the course and start at the end of May. Cheers all.
  • Did one in Granada about two years ago. Make sure it is CELTA recognised, and any thoughts you may have on intensive study, well double it. Study grammar in particular beforehand and get up to date on the patricular jargon of grammar (it differs). I felt that the course was aimed at younger people, so if you are older than say 25 be prepared to be patronised. Most of the work you will get will be evening based as thats when academies open, and most academies tend to pile the students up pretty high and keep them coming. Allow for 30 minutes preperation for every hour teaching, so a 25 hour a week job is actually 37+. You will not get paid for this preperation. Be very careful with academies as the bad ones have a habit of pushing up the lessons you teach, but not your pay, they can also be reluctant to pay for additional preperation and ongoig training that you might do. In short it is not easy. As mentioned earlier the pay is generally OK - good for the countries you will be in. The plus sides are that you will never want for work and you will have a great chance to travel the world. If I was 20-25 I would defo be looking for a placement in China.

One final thing most academies prefer you to have a degree and experience, but this is not always the case.
  • As a matter of interest Ash Tray, do you want to tell us where you will be studying? Will you be looking for work in London after May?
  • Sponsored links:

• Enlisted to a school in Brighton as I live in Sussex. When/if(!) I get the qualification, I want to teach in Asia; maybe Korea or China. The thing is, I have a civil case pending, so if that drags on, I may be looking in London. Got any ideas if that's the case Dave?
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Possibly Korea QN. I've looked at both courses and the TESOL looks a lot cheaper @ 795GBP. Is there much call for these qualifications over in the Middle East?

Loads mate, especially if you get in with the gas/petroleum companies. One of the women i work with, her husband just did the CELTA course and picked up work easily at a language centre in Doha on decent money too. Good luck with it, i hear Korea work you hard but well worth it apparently. Watch out for the barber shops though!!
  • [cite]Posted By: QatarNapsy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Possibly Korea QN. I've looked at both courses and the TESOL looks a lot cheaper @ 795GBP. Is there much call for these qualifications over in the Middle East?

Loads mate, especially if you get in with the gas/petroleum companies. One of the women i work with, her husband just did the CELTA course and picked up work easily at a language centre in Doha on decent money too. Good luck with it, i hear Korea work you hard but well worth it apparently. Watch out for the barber shops though!!

Being a teacher, I will have to keep my appearance respectable. I will therefore no doubt visit the barber on a regular basis ;-)
  • I taught English in Japan for a bit. That was interesting.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I taught English in Japan for a bit. That was interesting.[/quote]

spill the beans
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I taught English in Japan for a bit. That was interesting.

Did you have a ESL qualification?

Yes, do spill!
  • Actually I did an online course, I didn't need a teaching qualification for the job in Japan but felt I needed one. Many teaching jobs in Japan only require a degree certificate. The online courses are not as widely recognised and I'd definitely recommend a CELTA qualification, when I stopped off in Bangkok on the way back to London I found that the better schools (and so the best paid teachers) asked for a CELTA and a degree. It is possible to work abroad without a TEFL qualification but you'll always be better off in the long run.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Actually I did an online course, I didn't need a teaching qualification for the job in Japan but felt I needed one. Many teaching jobs in Japan only require a degree certificate. The online courses are not as widely recognised and I'd definitely recommend a CELTA qualification, when I stopped off in Bangkok on the way back to London I found that the better schools (and so the best paid teachers) asked for a CELTA and a degree. It is possible to work abroad without a TEFL qualification but you'll always be better off in the long run.

Yes, I discovered this this week when I was looking into it. I contacted an agency in Canada who place people in Korean schools and they just wanted proof of a degree and a CRB check (with an Apostille). I thought it best to get a formal qualification too before taking the plunge, hence my enrollment today. I am however doing the Trinity TESOL course which is essentially the same and as broadly accepted.
  • I think the TESOL is slightly easier, it's also a more straightforward job. You'll find that in the Far East (Japan, China,Korea) TESOL teachers are well sought after as the students aren't really exposed to English speakers on a regular basis. I essentially taught English conversation in Japan, working mainly with young children and some high school kids.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I think the TESOL is slightly easier, it's also a more straightforward job.

Bonus! Thanks VFR
  • Sponsored links:

• my girlfriend is doing it in japan. 2k a month after tax plus a plane ticket.....not bad!
  • Who's she working for Mark?
  • You'd get plenty of work in Newcastle....
  • edited March 2010
    My mate teaches English in China. When I was in Japan I suggested that he taught the Chinese kids English with the Geordie dialect and I taught all the Japanese kids with a South Yorkshire accent. I spent a drunken evening in Fukuoka with a load of teachers from Korea trying to pursued them to teach English in Belfast accent.
  • westgate i think they are called. its a 3month summer school, same lesson to different classes. its 40hours a week but damn good pay in my opinion
  • I've heard of them and the money is good, better than what I was paid. I was on 260000 Yen a month which was about £800-£900 after tax. However, I did have my accommodation included which saved me a stack of cash. Considering a decent night out in Japan will set you back about 10000 Yen the money wasn't too bad.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I've heard of them and the money is good, better than what I was paid. I was on 260000 Yen a month which was about £800-£900 after tax. However, I did have my accommodation included which saved me a stack of cash. Considering a decent night out in Japan will set you back about 10000 Yen the money wasn't too bad.

So accommadation and 26 good nights out then!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Enlisted to a school in Brighton as I live in Sussex. When/if(!) I get the qualification, I want to teach in Asia; maybe Korea or China. The thing is, I have a civil case pending, so if that drags on, I may be looking in London. Got any ideas if that's the case Dave?[/quote]

So where do you actually live then AshTray....Hertfordshire/Purley or Sussex....you seem to get around fella?
  • Bit of a personal question seeing as you were trying to get me banned the other day!

I live in Sussex. I was cat sitting for a friend in Purley (I know, Purrrley) over Christmas and the New Year. Well remembered by the way, I've obviously made an impression :)

Not sure where you get Herts from, never lived there.
  • edited March 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Bit of a personal question seeing as you were trying to get me banned the other day!

I live in Sussex. I was cat sitting for a friend in Purley (I know, Purrrley) over Christmas and the New Year. Well remembered by the way, I've obviously made an impression :)

Not sure where you get Herts from, never lived there.[/quote]

I didn't and can't 'try' to get you banned....that's not my shout.