Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TESOL/TEFL

Comments

• Options
    Cat sitting Jezuz H...what an exciting life you must lead....the cats name wasn't Clarrie by any chance?
  • Options
    No, Tigger and Pooh. 15 year old ginger toms. One of them is diabetic and has to be injected twice a day with insulin - quite a job!

I put your outburst down to an equivalent of an Argentinian striker waving an imaginery red card to a ref after being fouled. No hard feelings, you were just grumpy after last week's result I reckon :-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]No, Tigger and Pooh. 15 year old ginger toms. One of them is diabetic and has to be injected twice a day with insulin - quite a job!

I put your outburst down to an equivalent of an Argentinian striker waving an imaginery red card to a ref after being fouled. No hard feelings, you were just grumpy after last week's result I reckon :-)[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]No, Tigger and Pooh. 15 year old ginger toms. One of them is diabetic and has to be injected twice a day with insulin - quite a job!

I put your outburst down to an equivalent of an Argentinian striker waving an imaginery red card to a ref after being fouled. No hard feelings, you were just grumpy after last week's result I reckon :-)[/quote]

Oh Jeezuz.....what a wind-up merchant you are....to be honest I don't believe half of what you say...in fact make that 90%.
    See ya!
  • Options
    Fukuoka is actually a Geordie word....
  • Options
    Lol.. I've never thought about it like that but yes, Fukuoka could well be Geordie. If you ever get the chance to go to Japan Fukuoka and Kyushu is well worth checking out.
  • Options
    Just doing my pre-course work and wondered whether anyone could help with one of the questions.

"What do you think you might have to consider when teaching the following sets of lexical items?

- aubergine, trout, parsley
    - plateau, tooth, man

There are 8 others, but I think I've got them. Your ideas would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I think you need to give us the whole question here and perhaps even the one that goes before it. I just don't see what they are asking.

Why on earth would you teach 'plateau', 'tooth' and 'man' as a 'set'? Is it supposed to be a lesson on going to the dentist's? In which case is a 'plateau' really used in a dentist's surgery?

I could likewise question the first 'set' you mention. I would normally teach Food vocab divided into separate food groups. This looks like you're concentrating specifically on going to a fish restaurant.

It all looks like some quiz rather than something from a teacher training course.

By the way, did you go for the TESOL or CELTA course?
  • Options
    Hi JM. I went for the TESOL. I couldn't see the difference after researching it and it was local.

I floated the question past a mate during the first half and the clever bugger got the first one straight away. The issue, or challenge would be that they are all irregular plurals. tooth - teeth, plateau - plateaux, man - men. Not sure about the other one though. We were thinking along the 'eggplant' line but had no joy.

Others which I think I've got were:

put off, take off, bring up
    pants, rubber, subway
    travelling, colour, theatre
    scissors, jeans, glasses
    sympathetic, library, sensible
    chocolate, comfortable, vegetable
    physics, tough, choir
    make, do, get

I'd be interested to know what you make of them to see if your thoughts match mine. They do say, 'consider grammar, pronunciation etc. (You may have to think laterally)'.
  • Options
    physics, tough, choir....Spelling does not match the phonetics...
  • Options
    scissors, jeans, glasses..These can confuse because they are usually paired with the word 'pair', but obviously the aren't two of them....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are nouns without singulars I think?
  • Options
    You can have a single glass...
  • Options
    Yes, but in this context I assumed it meant specs?
  • Options
    That's the whole point of the exercise though, isn't it...?

Pointing out peculiararities of the English language...
  • Options
    Absolutely. Fair point.

The one I'm really struggling with is aubergine, trout, parsley. Any ideas RZ?
  • Options
    Trout and Parsley are non-countable nouns (Same in plural and singular) You buy 3 trout and some parsley, not trouts or parsleys. Although we have aubergines as a plural in french, in English we say " may I have 3 aubergines please " (without pronouncing the S)
  • Options
    Genius! Thanks Dave.
  • Options
    pants, rubber, subway..The most obvious answer is each word can have two or more entirely different meanings..
  • Options
    pants, rubber, subway..Another thought just came into my head...

These words could mean something entirely different to an American...
  • Options
    I never had such cryptical questions in my TESOL. Anyway, here are my answers:

put off, take off, bring up- Phrasal verbs with more than one meaning

pants, rubber, subway - difference in meaning between Br and Am English

travelling, colour, theatre - difference in spelling between Br and Am English

scissors, jeans, glasses - no singular form (except for a change in meaning)

sympathetic, library, sensible - false friends with other major European languages

chocolate, comfortable, vegetable - one syllable is not pronounced

physics, tough, choir - As someone stated above 'the spelling does not match the phonetics' but then we could say that for the majority of the English language. These are just more obvious examples.

make, do, get - These are problematic verbs for the non-native speaker. In French for example there is only one verb for 'do' and 'make', and no equivalent for 'get.'

Well done to Daveroan for the solution to the hardest one. I must admit that I didn't know that the 's' in aubergines is silent in English.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My ex did the CELTA one, she is thick as pigshit and managed to find gainful employment when she moved abroad for a bit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]My ex did the CELTA one, she is thick as pigshit and managed to find gainful employment when she moved abroad for a bit.

That's nice
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Well done to Daveroan for the solution to the hardest one. I must admit that I didn't know that the 's' in aubergines is silent in English.
    I'd disagree with the word Parsley being a non-countable noun, I have heard the word parsleys numerous times....

The 's' in aubergines is not silent either...
  • Options
    Surely one says : " two bunches of parsley please" not "2 parsleys please"
  • Options
    When pronouncing the word Perrier (as in the water) do you say...Perryay or Perryer?

I mean to say would you honestly say...."I've got a new dog, it's a Yorkshire Terryay"....or "I'm having a party at my place this evening come on over, the more the merryay."

Or would you say...."I've got a new dog, it's a Yorkshire Terryer"...or "I'm having a party over at my place this evening come on over, the more the merryer."
    Either way you're fooked it would seem.....best not to use Perrier water, own a Yorkie or have parties I suppose.
  • Options
    Now your just showing off dave ;)
  • Options
    Dave is right, the bunches are countable but he parsley isn't. Its a bit like water, uncountable, and bottles/glasses/rivers of water which are.
  • Options
    Just like to say, thanks to all those that contributed and advised me on this topic. I start my new job in Ho Chi Minh City on November 8th. Will I miss Charlton? No, not at the moment. Sussex CCC definitely!

It's been a long journey.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    A pleasure it has been...
  • Options
    Congratulations AshTray.