Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot

Comments

• Options
    So he has done nothing for a life changing amount of money and now he realises he should actually play the odd game to extend his career.

No.
  • Options
    He has been on £20k a week for 5 years.

Not bad for a lad that went to the CAFC stall at the Danson Show and signed up.

Good luck to him - but everyone has moved on now.
  • Options
    5 years?
  • Options

Not bad for a lad that went to the CAFC stall at the Danson Show and signed up.

Good luck to him - but everyone has moved on now.

I thought he left us in August 2011?
  • Options
    Just like other players who choose finance before games, (leave others to add names), can't blame completely, but what a shame they will probably never fulfill their ambition
  • Options
    No thank you flaps at crosses and I reckon my 83 yr old nan could could score past him from 30yards
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I mean seriously , i know there's moody wages and moody wages but if he picks that up then i'm coming out of retirement to play in goal
  • Options

I mean seriously , i know there's moody wages and moody wages but if he picks that up then i'm coming out of retirement to play in goal
    It was widely reported to be 20k - 25k at the time he went. Given the involvement of a certain Mr Pardew and no transfer fee, I wouldn't be surprised.

I noticed I defended him on this thread! Must have been on happy pills that day! Towards the end of his time with us he was really struggling. Beaten from distance far too easily and ridiculously flat footed for a keeper.
  • Options
    At least we got 100 or 200 grand for him and he didn't leave for free. At the end of the day the club accepted a bid for him so the move was right for all parties.

I'd welcome Rob back; doesn't mean I'm writing off Henderson but I like two established keepers fighting for the no1 jersey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob Elliot is a decent enough keeper and a great shot stopper - but IMO he doesn't seem to have quick feet.

For that reason, I doubt he'll ever make a top Prem keeper - but no reason why he couldn't be a good fit for the right club at Champs level.

• Options
    His stoppage time save at Plymouth on his debut was fantastic
  • Options
    I presume he's had plenty of time for one to one coaching so should have improved some of his skills?
  • Options
    When I think of Robbie I remember some amazing reflex shot stopping but also a weakness from distance. I think he made the right choice joining Newcastle as it really was a once in a lifetime offer. I hope he has a successful career but I don't think he'll ever play in the top flight again.
  • Options

His stoppage time save at Plymouth on his debut was fantastic

He made some stops away at Bournemouth in his final season with us that were nothing short of breathtaking.
  • Options
    He has played 12 matches for Newcastle since leaving us in 2011 but has picked up at around £20,000 per week for his efforts.

I never thought he was the best thing since sliced bread as I found he was beaten from distance far too often because of his poor footwork. I also always thought he was carrying a few too many pounds and that he was mentally a bit frail.

He got a lot of slack because he was a fan.

I wouldn't want him back at the valley but I dare say he will drop to our division and have a blinder against us
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Totally agree with that Swisdom.

As for people saying he's one of our own, so what, I'm one of us but you wouldn't want me playing in goal!!!!

How tall are you?

Good luck to Rob, what ever he does and where ever he goes, unless it's to the spanners or nigels.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Home to Barnet in the FA Cup replay (won 1-0 Kyle Reid)....that was Elliott's finest game. He was sensational but only a handful of people were there to see it. For me it rated in third place behind Nicky Johns v Chelsea 1983 and Bob Bolder at Man Utd in 1988.
  • Options
    He would not be likely to come here to "further his international chances". Good guy and decent keeper but Pope is the way forward.
  • Options
    I'd rather see how Henderson and Pope develop.
  • Options
    20k a week??!! ridiculous money. Can't blame Rob for taking that offer from Newcastle even if it meant sitting on the bench for 3 years at Newcastle. Time to get on with your career now Rob and nail down a number spot else where. Can't see it being back at Charlton. Hope he gets the right move. Charlton fan who lived the dream.
  • Options
    Trouble is Rob's comments probably come from the basis as well that they've signed Karl Darlow (who is on loan back at Forest for the season).

So from next year even if Newcastle sold Krul they'd have Darlow as backup and Rob nowhere
  • Options
    A reasonable keeper, but I always thought Randolph was potentially better, as he's much more athletic. It's interesting that one left us to be a bench warmer, while the other earned less money, but has been playing regularly.
  • Options
    £20k a week for 3 years to sit on the bench? The world is bloody mental!
  • Options
    I'd have him back, a solid keeper. To everyone slating him for his long shot stopping, and saying Henderson is much better etc etc.....how young was he when he left? Also, remember the goal Henderson let in against Wigan?

We'd all have him back in a flash, let's stop with the 'it's cool to be negative against an ex-player who moved on for more money'.
  • Options
    I heard it was £8k a week but £25k a week sounds better , so lets roll with that !