Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot

13»

Comments

• I heard it was £8k a week but £25k a week sounds better , so lets roll with that !

Even at £8k that's still well over a million quid in 3 years for doing sod all.

• Rizzo said:

I heard it was £8k a week but £25k a week sounds better , so lets roll with that !

Even at £8k that's still well over a million quid in 3 years for doing sod all.

not once the tax man has chored his bit !
  • I'd have him back, a solid keeper. To everyone slating him for his long shot stopping, and saying Henderson is much better etc etc.....how young was he when he left? Also, remember the goal Henderson let in against Wigan?

We'd all have him back in a flash, let's stop with the 'it's cool to be negative against an ex-player who moved on for more money'.

That was Pope...
  • About 10 years ago Darius Vassell was one of the lowest paid premier league footballers on £5k a week.

I'd think it safe to say hardly anyone is below £10k a week nowadays
  • I have always been a fan of Elliot partly because he is a Charlton supporter... talk about players not caring but he certainly always did and even when he left the club he would be on the terraces at Hartlepool and as a player for the club was on the terraces at Southampton (Where I met him and was a really nice bloke

In regards to his shot stopping though I remember watching Soccer Saturday and was Phil Thompson (I think) commenting on Joe Hart when his shot stopping was praised... comment was along the lines of:

Every Goalkeeper should be good at Shot-Stopping, its their speed, reflexes and distribution that sets them apart
  • Greenie said:

I notice a few comments along the lines of "he's one of us'' etc.
    But in all honesty, if he wasn't 'one of us' would you sign him? I think the answer would be no, simply because he's not a very good goalkeeper.

Personally, i love the thought of having a player who is a local lad, who actually grew up supporting the club (i don't think there is a single other currently in the game). I probably make more allowances judgement wise as a result.

Saying 'he is not a very good goalkeeper', is just plain incorrect imo. Firstly you are forming your opinion on when he was 22/23 in his first 2 seasons as a pro, which is similar to making a conclusive judgement on an 18/19 yr old outfield player.

And secondly, i think he was better in a struggling side than you and others give him credit for. He wasn't perfect, but he was good enough to attract interest from a former manager at a Prem club, and win international caps.

OK AFKA you make valid points, of course he may will have improved at The Toon, however, he's not had many top competitive matches, personally I don't think he was a very good goalkeeper, League 1 at best. Is he better than Pope, I don't know, is he better than Hamer/Henderson, no he isn't IMO. BUT to have a player at our club because he is a local lad, is just bonkers no matter how much you romanticise it.
  • edited September 2014
    Or maybe we should not be so open about what another man earns "for doing sod all"? Just a thought.

He has played for them regularly in the Europa League. Wouldn't call it "sod all" myself.
  • Thought he was decent at L1 level.

Thing is we've got Pope coming through and in 1-2 years he's got a good chance of being very decent if he sticks at it. Don't necessarily thing Rob would walk into number 1, and would maybe hold back Pope in getting a few games this season and next?

If we were short of a keeper though I'd take him back.
  • I'd have him back, a solid keeper. To everyone slating him for his long shot stopping, and saying Henderson is much better etc etc.....how young was he when he left? Also, remember the goal Henderson let in against Wigan?

We'd all have him back in a flash, let's stop with the 'it's cool to be negative against an ex-player who moved on for more money'.

That was Pope...
    No that was Henderson.
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard it was 30k p/w
  • Greenie said:

I notice a few comments along the lines of "he's one of us'' etc.
    But in all honesty, if he wasn't 'one of us' would you sign him? I think the answer would be no, simply because he's not a very good goalkeeper.

Personally, i love the thought of having a player who is a local lad, who actually grew up supporting the club (i don't think there is a single other currently in the game). I probably make more allowances judgement wise as a result.

Saying 'he is not a very good goalkeeper', is just plain incorrect imo. Firstly you are forming your opinion on when he was 22/23 in his first 2 seasons as a pro, which is similar to making a conclusive judgement on an 18/19 yr old outfield player.

And secondly, i think he was better in a struggling side than you and others give him credit for. He wasn't perfect, but he was good enough to attract interest from a former manager at a Prem club, and win international caps.

Problem is, a few years on and he's unlikely to be a better player than he was aged 22/23, because he hasn't actually played very much - doesn't matter how good training facilities are, any player would surely improve further playing competitive football on a regular basis.

There would be the expectation of higher wages for an ex-Premiership goalkeeper but one without much of the experience that implies. He WAS one of our own, but he's not really any more - he's a decent guy and a passable enough keeper who happens to be a Charlton fan but that doesn't mean I would be happy to pay his wages when there is a 'keeper of comparable quality already here in Henderson and a good prospect in Pope - we just don't need him, at all, and RD is not the kind to make a signing on sentiment.
  • I erd e woz on lyk a mil a day!!!
  • He asked to leave in the summer
  • I heard it was 30k p/w

Someone told me it was 38K
  • I heard it was 30k p/w

You might wanna check your sources fella. The bloke who told me 30k p/w was the same who confirmed that it was £2.5 million that we paid for Francis Jeffers so I am pretty confident.
  • Elliot would walk into the first team. People who say otherwise are just proof of a lover scorned etc.
  • I heard it was 30k p/w

You might wanna check your sources fella. The bloke who told me 30k p/w was the same who confirmed that it was £2.5 million that we paid for Francis Jeffers so I am pretty confident.
    Just checked mate and you're right!!! I got it wrong, it's actually 43k.