Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker on Curbishley

WSSWSS
edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Under the strict guidance of manager Alan Curbishley, a man whose personality clearly borders on the obsessive, Parker likes to think he was brought up the right way during those early days at Charlton.

Under Curbishley you respected everyone and everything. From the manager to the water bottle he gave you at the start of each season.

'If you left it lying around, he made a massive issue of it,' recalls Parker.

'And if you lost it, you had to pay for a new one. He expected you to look after it.

'Curbs was the same with all the kit you were given. He'd go potty if someone left their flip-flops in the middle of the dressing room floor. And you'd always see him out there after training, collecting all the balls. When I think about it now, he probably does have OCD.

'But things were run on a tight budget at Charlton and all those things cost money. He understood that and he made us understand it, too.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1259880/West-Hams-future-line--Scott-Parker-save-them.html

Comments

• Options
    Modern players seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • Options
    How is collecting balls after training OCD?!!!...its called looking after things Scott.
  • Options
    Yes Gary, what a strange thing to say.

Please come back Alan - help us. God knows we need it.
  • Options
    Its called attention to detail Scott.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]How is collecting balls after training OCD?!!!...its called looking after things Scott.

Considering that's what his main role at Chelsea was you'd think he would realise that.
  • Options
    lol!!
  • Options
    they say all the best are a bit mental, and considering that he had to count every penny from day one he obviously just carried that philosophy onwards....

Also its the old fear and respect, if you didnt respect him you feared him, AC this is....

we need a bit more of that for sure...
  • Options
    I'd have him back collecting the balls at Sparrows Lane any time....OCD or no OCD!
  • Options
    id become ocd if it meant he came back.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I'd have him back collecting the balls at Sparrows Lane any time....OCD or no OCD![/quote]

As would i and all i know
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    left....please would you not post with small i's...it's I.....and you should put a full stop at the end of each sentence.

LOL!!!
  • Options
    so sorry.
  • Options
    It's my OCD kicking in of course!
  • Options
    I miss those Scott Parker days, you don't realise how good those times are until they're gone.
  • Options
    There's a few on here with OCD when talking about Curbs, that's for sure : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]they say all the best are a bit mental
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]There's a few on here with OCD when talking about Curbs, that's for sure : - )

too true ...........
  • Options
    Don't get me started......:-)
  • Options
    i sort of picked out from that Scott feels he may feel he left Charlton a bit to early.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]i sort of picked out from that Scott feels he may feel he left Charlton a bit to early.

D`oh
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]i sort of picked out from that Scott feels he may feel he left Charlton a bit to early.

How?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    didnt stop him pissssing off though did it , little shitehouse
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]

How?[/quote

The razzmatazz of Chelsea never really suited Parker. 'Moving there from Charlton, I struggled to adapt,' he says.

'I might have made more of the opportunity had I been a bit older. I was only 23. But I found it a bit of culture shock. Very different to what I was used to.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1259880/West-Hams-future-line--Scott-Parker-save-them.html#ixzz0j14xYRBH
    ]
  • Options
    what a winker.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What player was it that leaked in an interview that Curbs was often to be found in the dressing room an hour or so after everyone else had left practising a spot of naked Yoga? Not to be mixed up with practising naked with Youga!?!

I'm sure it was Eddie Youds.
  • Options
    Scott Parker was always gung-ho in the tackle:

"It really is part of our culture. Other than when someone scores a goal, the biggest cheer you hear on a Saturday is when someone puts in a good tackle. It's the way we are brought up. It's what everyone wants to see.

"I was at Lilleshall with Alan Smith, Michael Owen, Wes Brown and Joe Cole and under Keith Blunt, who was old school, we were taught to be aggressive; taught to win the ball and taught to win the game."

What's Keith Blunt doing now?

Is their a vacancy on the Charlton staff for a coach who could teach our players to be aggressive; win the ball and win the game?
  • Options
    OH KEITHY BLUNT, HE PLAYS UP FRONT
  • Options
    Working in China
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]OH KEITHY BLUNT, HE PLAYS UP FRONT

lol

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Working in China

Whatever for? Must be addicted to birds nest soup or lychees in syrup.

Come home Keithy Blunt, we've got a job for you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Is their a vacancy on the Charlton staff for a coach who could teach our players to be aggressive; win the ball and win the game?

No, he'd be too unlike the rest of the staff!

:-(
  • Options
    One of my close family spent the last six years of Curbishley's time at Charlton wanting him out. In fact, it may have been longer. I remember coming out of Walsall after a 4-2 win, our 12th straight win, and my relative slagging off Curbishley then.