Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker on Curbishley

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Scott Parker was always gung-ho in the tackle:

"It really is part of our culture. Other than when someone scores a goal, the biggest cheer you hear on a Saturday is when someone puts in a good tackle. It's the way we are brought up. It's what everyone wants to see.

"I was at Lilleshall with Alan Smith, Michael Owen, Wes Brown and Joe Cole and under Keith Blunt, who was old school,we were taught to be aggressive; taught to win the ball and taught to win the game."

I thought it was going to Norwich on loan that toughened Scotty up? In the few times he appeared for the first team before then he was more lightweight and less aggressive than Mooney and Tamer Tuna put together.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Scott Parker was always gung-ho in the tackle:

"It really is part of our culture. Other than when someone scores a goal, the biggest cheer you hear on a Saturday is when someone puts in a good tackle. It's the way we are brought up. It's what everyone wants to see.

"I was at Lilleshall with Alan Smith, Michael Owen, Wes Brown and Joe Cole and under Keith Blunt, who was old school,we were taught to be aggressive; taught to win the ball and taught to win the game."

I thought it was going to Norwich on loan that toughened Scotty up? In the few times he appeared for the first team before then he was more lightweight and less aggressive than Mooney and Tamer Tuna put together.

That's what I remember too Weegie!
  • Options
    Weegies right there, just before he went to Norwich he played in a league cup game against Stoke and was really pathetic. The consensus was that he'd never make it and would be off at the end of the season to a lower league somewhere. After he came back from Norwich, he was like a man possessed, I was at that game at Maine Road and he was like Roy Keane and Viera rolled into one. Must have been Delia's cooking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]Weegies right there, just before he went to Norwich he played in a league cup game against Stoke and was really pathetic. The consensus was that he'd never make it and would be off at the end of the season to a lower league somewhere. After he came back from Norwich, he was like a man possessed, I was at that game at Maine Road and he was like Roy Keane and Viera rolled into one. Must have been Delia's cooking.
    It's quite strange thinking about it, just checked and he only played 6 games for Norwich. Not like he had half a season there and really developed, it happened so quickly for him.

I remember something about him realising he couldn't take Jensen's place as the attacking midfielder, so had to take Kinsella's as the more defensive/box to box player.
  • Options
    He was there a month and I think he picked up his first two career bookings there.
  • Options
    He was just a kid when he was with us, wasn't he? And like any kid, he hated Curbs' discipline at the time, and wanted to throw that blasted water bottle out of the pram with the rest of the toys.

Now he's done a bit of growing , he looks back and calls it being brung up proper - which is what it was, of course.

I like his words and I think there's definitely a touch of the Joni Mitchells about them (''don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til it's gone''...)

But I guess Scotty isn't the only one who feels that way about Curbs.
  • Options
    curbs sky guest at west ham v wolves tonight... didn't think he was the flavour of the month down there with those ungrateful .....
  • Options
    Richard Keys angled a question to him about having Parker at Charlton and Curbs either didnt follow the question or totally bodyswerved it and waffled on about Parker having an injury at Chelsea. Was very odd.
  • Options
    i only saw curbs in studio not sure if it's my telly picture or he's seen a ghost , he looked pretty grey faced , maybe just got an earful from those lovely friendly east end chaps
  • Options
    Yeah considering the payout he got he doesnt look very tanned and rested did he!

Still no takers for him.......

Was funny him talking about his time out West Ham, as though they just about going to start playing Total Football before he left!!

Such a bluffers game being a football manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well he could never quite get the brazil1970 football going down the valley that everyone wanted.... now we get a hard on if someone passes to their own player or the keeper catches it
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What are they supposed to be grateful for, Oooahh? £3m Freddie Ljungberg? £6m Kieron Dyer? £5m Luis Boa Morte? £3m Calum Davenport or £110k a week Lucas Neill?

If only the board had ever given him money here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]What are they supposed to be grateful for, Oooahh? £3m Freddie Ljungberg? £6m Kieron Dyer? £5m Luis Boa Morte? £3m Calum Davenport or £110k a week Lucas Neill?

Saved from relegation, 10th the following season and sitting at 4th when the Board pulled the rug and sold players without consultation.

Hopefully their ungrateful fans will eventually suffer like we have.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]now we get a hard on if someone passes to their own player

My award for quote of the day...

Closely followed by this:
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    Hopefully their ungrateful fans will eventually suffer like we have.
  • Options
    being kept up when they should have gone down... the board told him to buy their way out of trouble and push on in the next season and he did or would you/west ham fans preferred he took his time about things and got relegated .....£110k a week lucas neill , surely it was £200k a week
    anyways he could have made them win the premiership or took them to non league for all i really care
    and it wouldn't change the greatest years i've had of watching charlton and for that i'll be eternally grateful .. the greatest game at wembley , promotion as champions, 8 years in the top flight , england internationals playing for us amongst many other internationals, winning at arsenal, double over chelsea and liverpool, 13 consecutive seasons being a division or 2 above millwall ......
    if that's not enough to make you drop to your knees and do whatever takes your fancy you need help.....
  • Options
    My boss is a West Ham season ticket holder and him and his mates are gagging for Curbs to go back there. Says they all wish he never went.