Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eleven players sign up

Comments

• Options
    There's even a page specifcally about getting a trial on the OS
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/AcademyTrials.ink

Does sound very harsh on a 9 year old. I guess the club have to make a decision at some point. If they have 3 goalkeepers and can only keep 2, they have to decide somehow.
  • Options
    How tall was Barthez?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]This isn't Charlton related but there's a lad who plays in my son's school football team who is an outstanding footballer. He wins matches single-handedly. He doesn't score any goals because he's the goalkeeper. He just doesn't let any in. He's currently on Fulham's books but he's been told that he's being released at the end of this season because they've done a bone scan on him and the consultant's estimate of his adult height is only 5'11" and they're not prepared to invest in him if he's not going to be a 'giant'. What a way to let down a 9 year old. I just hope that someone like Charlton or Leyton Orient can pick him up because I'm sure he could have a career in the game. Deano wasn't a giant but he went on to have a good career.

contact the club - they would probably go and watch him or offer him a trial. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain

I'm pretty sure that Gritty may be aware of the situation because his daughter goes to the same school
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]How tall was Barthez?
    Wiki says 6 ft.

Also found this, not heard it before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Gopane
    Gopane was- and still is- the smallest goalkeeper ever to be included in a World Cup squad. The diminutive shotstopper stood just 1.60m or 5 ft 4 in tall.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]How tall was Barthez?

5' 11'' - but he is very much the exception and there really aren't any top keepers these days under 6' 1''. In any event, Premiership Clubs want the finished article and look abroard for that reason hence the lack of top English keepers. That's not to say that he can't have a career outside the top flight but it still won't be easy.
  • Options
    Good to have you aboard for the long haul - maybe you could get a job as a scout!

Uncle is very good at spotting talent .......like the fine young prospect flying up the wing for Charlton Life FC. a real Dazzler.
    No, not you Red Army, the other pacy one, lol

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Good to have you aboard for the long haul - maybe you could get a job as a scout!

Uncle is very good at spotting talent .......like the fine young prospect flying up the wing for Charlton Life FC. a real Dazzler.
    No, not you Red Army, the other pacy one, lol

;o)

Thing is Oggy he moved so fast i didn't see him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

Must have been free beer that day, Uncle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

Must have been free beer that day, Uncle.

I dont even think that would inject pace into our dazzler
  • Options
    "Why do we end up with so many good players from the poor side of the water anyway, are they really desparate to get out of essex/East London? Never worked out why we have to pay a toll on the Dartford crossing when we leave Kent, surely they should only charge to enter the Garden of England"

Come on admit it, you love it...cliffs pavilion, the pink toothbrush...you probably even hang around with essex lads on match days.....when you go ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd say Santiago Canizares, Gregory Coupet and Iker Casillas did alright for 5'11"

Honestly how can such a procedure on a 9 year old be exact to the inch? Even one inch out makes his height 6' which is perceived as the standard height for goalkeepers anyway. How ridiculous.
  • Options
    Loved the Megan Fox comment above, as it's the first thing I thought of when i saw the name "Morgan Fox"!
  • Options
    Lol talk of the South, I would not even talk to any Essex boys on a match day, southend isn't in Essex is it?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    rule of thumb is that you are two thirds of you adult height at nine years old.
  • Options
    According to Wiki our ex keeper from the 70's, Derek Forster, was only 5' 9''. Remember him playing for us but didn't think he was that short.

On the subject of Keepers with the surname "Forster" interestingly Derek hails from the same area as our nemesis on Saturday, Fraser. Anyone know if they are related?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite][

]
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=35991
    u18s beat a more experienced Bristol City 2-0 away on Saturday, 5 of this group started. Winger Toby Silva from the u15s also started, says he has scored regularly in the u16s this season, so perhaps like Cousins this season he'll get plenty of u18 games next season.

Silva and Popo scored the goals, and Bradley Jordan also came on as a sub.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite] Honestly how can such a procedure on a 9 year old be exact to the inch? Even one inch out makes his height 6' which is perceived as the standard height for goalkeepers anyway. How ridiculous.

Was going to post exactly the same thing, how ridiculous that they're prepared to turn down a 9 year old based on a scan which could quite possibly end up wrong.
    Man Utd i could understand but Fulham probably don't have their pick of the talent so you'd have thought they'd give him until he was at least 12/13 to see if he grew a bit.
  • Options
    Lee Camp didn't look very tall to me when we played QPR and Basey made his debut.

I'd be surprised if he is six foot. If he is agile and has natural spring he can compensate for an inch or two of height anyway.

Sam Sodje is no giant yet copes ok in the air most of the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am in total agreement with all on here but if two Premiership keepers are as good as each other then the one that is 6' 4" will always get the call over one that is 5' 11''. These are the first choice keepers in the Premiership:

Manuel Almunia 6' 2''
    Brad Friedel 6' 2''
    Joe Hart 6' 2''
    Paul Robinson 6' 3''
    Jussi Jaaskelainen 6' 4"
    Brian Jensen 6' 0"
    Petr Cech 6' 4"
    Tim Howard 6' 2"
    Mark Schwarzer 6' 4"
    Boaz Myhill 6' 2"
    Pepe Reina 6' 1"
    Shay Given 6' 0"
    Edwin Van der Sar 6' 4"
    David James 6' 4"
    Thomas Sorensen 6' 4"
    Craig Gordon 6' 3"
    Heurelho Gomes 6' 2"
    Rob Green 6' 1"
    Chris Kirkland 6' 4"
    Marcus Hahnemann 6' 2"

So we have:

6' 4" - 7
    6' 3" - 2
    6' 2" - 7
    6' 1" - 2
    6' 0" - 2

Of the two that are 6' 0", Jensen would not get in another Premiership side as first choice and Shay Given has been freakishly good over the years.

It is terribly harsh on the kid and I don't know what I would say to him if he were my son.But, hopefully, the lad will fix himself up with a Club outside the Premiership and prove his worth in years to come. Only then will a top flight club will come knocking and that is what we are talking about in Fulham.

Good luck to him and let's hope he gets his chance to prove Fulham wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]I am in total agreement with all on here but if two Premiership keepers are as good as each other then the one that is 6' 4" will always get the call over one that is 5' 11''.
    That's what I was saying might be the reason. If there are say 5 good young keepers and Fulham can only train and play 2 at u10 level next season (an example, no idea how many they would have), they have to choose between them somehow. As harsh as it is on a 9 year old.
  • Options
    I thought Shay Given was 5'11, he is one of the best around whilst Camp and Harper have possibly been the best keepers in the Champ, they are under 6 foot i think!
  • Options
    according to wiki Camp is 6'1 and Harper 6'2
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]I thought Shay Given was 5'11, he is one of the best around whilst Camp and Harper have possibly been the best keepers in the Champ, they are under 6 foot i think!

My sources, as per the above, say he is 6' 0" but he is THE exception. He is also 34 (today) and a throw back to another era. Harper is even older at 35. Lee Camp is 6' 0" according to Soccerbase and 6' 1" according to Wiki.
  • Options
    Begs the question, how much does it cost to keep a nine year old training with a team? Can't believe it is that much, unless they pay the parents expenses like travel or kit.
  • Options
    Elliott and Randolph aren't huge

I think it's ludicrous at his age to discard him based on height. He could be THAT good or could have a spurt in growth
    as I see it he has nothing to lose bycoming to Sparrows Lane
  • Options
    Yeah but you can see their point though can't you...

HB1745-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=2AC75F6FAA20674C4B2D157CFC50711FBCC858F34558830849207362A3F24453
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Elliott and Randolph aren't huge
    Elliot's 6 ft 3.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Elliott and Randolph aren't huge
    Elliot's 6 ft 3.

he doesn't look that big to me - and certainly doesn't impose himself like he is!