Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The knives are out for Clegg

Comments

• Options
    The would ya politicians winner last week was clearly clegg, should be a good one tonight if he does get asked a few serious questions, rather than gordy saying I agree with nick, it may be different tonight, or may not be, he is gordy's only hope of staying pm so it might be more of the same.
  • Options
    Never buy it as much/little info in the shepway times and is free on a Wednesday. Anyway, you learn more from locals gossiping in the country.
  • Options
    Literally is just adverts these days.

Locals gossiping at sandling station.
  • Options
    The right wing press owned by Murdoch normally favours the Tories, unless courted as they were by Blair, his successor Brown seems to have either failed in this regard or not wanted to 'soil' himself as his predecessor did - probably why he won't win.
  • Options
    Brown soils himself enough without Murdoch, especially when he should have called an election a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    interesting.

If Cameron/Brown attack Clegg then Clegg might be seen as the being bullied and get more sympathy while the Lib-dems can say that the big two are afraid of them hence the attacks.

Clegg was clever to distance himself from the other two as view of politicians and politic is no longer just apathy but antipathy.

Sunday Times was getting right into Clegg saying he was just as posh as Cameron which I thought was clearly a bit of tory spin to take the shine off Clegg's appeal.

Personally I'm impressed that he can speak five languages. His dutch mother was interned by the Japanese in WWII which should make far east trade negations interesting. : - )
  • Options
    alternatively they are trying to show he's just as dodgey as them, and snout in same trough
  • Options
    "The braying voices on the right of the House, are echoed down the Street of Shame"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]interesting.

If Cameron/Brown attack Clegg then Clegg might be seen as the being bullied and get more sympathy while the Lib-dems can say that the big two are afraid of them hence the attacks.

Clegg was clever to distance himself from the other two as view of politicians and politic is no longer just apathy but antipathy.

Sunday Times was getting right into Clegg saying he was just as posh as Cameron which I thought was clearly a bit of tory spin to take the shine off Clegg's appeal.

Personally I'm impressed that he can speak five languages. His dutch mother was interned by the Japanese in WWII which should make far east trade negations interesting. : - )

Make this right.
  • Options
    It looks a bit obvious that he is under such a concerted attack from the media right now. The question is, will it lose him support, or make people (such as myself) just think 'b*ll*cks to you, I'm now more determined than ever to vote Lib Dem and kick both the useless, barely different, main parties where it hurts'.

Well, that's my reaction anyway. I would love to see the Lib-Dems topple this ridiculous 2 party system that we have that ensures that, basically, nothing ever changes in a meaningful way. Come on you Lib-Dems! It would be hilarious if it happens, if nothing else!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm voting Lib Dem just because Cleggs wife is a right sort...condemn if you wish but at least I have an agenda.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite] I reckon Cleggs gonna fall back a bit tonight anyway, if not this week then maybe next

I agree that he might fall back after next week's debate because it's on the economy but tonight's debate is about foreign affairs if I'm not mistaken which, given that the Lib Dems never supported the Iraq war and propose scrapping the Trident defence system, should see Clegg move further in front of Cameron and Brown because he, again, offers some ideas that are massively different to the 2 established parties.

Even the Lib Dems pro-European stance might help them because at least the party is united on the issue whereas the Conservatives and Labour are all over the shop on that issue.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I'm voting Lib Dem just because Cleggs wife is a right sort...condemn if you wish but at least I have an agenda.

Really?...she is quite mingin.

article-0-0284A5EC000004B0-970_233x324.jpg
  • Options
    From the Guardian this morning

"Rupert Murdoch won't decide this election. You will," says the bright new poster for the bright new Independent and as a rallying point for new readers and a morale boost for staff, that seemed fine. But these things have a momentum of their own and Rupert is known to be a spiky type and so picture the scene at Indy HQ yesterday afternoon as both James Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks, the heaviest News Corps guns save for Rupert himself, went striding into the office of Simon Kelner, the editor-in-chief. There was no eavesdropping, say observers, but brows seemed furrowed. "It looked for all the world like a mafia capos visit," one told us. Puzzling. Scary.
  • Options
    Valley Gary wash your mouth out!

Minging...MINGING, she has a brain, a personality, wit, is educated. Just because youre a fart, turnover and go to sleep man doesnt mean we're all like that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Valley Gary wash your mouth out!

Minging...MINGING, she has a brain, a personality, wit, is educated. Just because youre a fart, turnover and go to sleep man doesnt mean we're all like that.

From yesterday's musings, ValleyGary seems to prefer them a bit more rugged actually - such as our Frazier Richardson ;-)
  • Options
    Only 1 more hour to go. can't wait.
  • Options
    Leaders Wives.....
  • Options
    I'd like to vote for a social and economically 'liberal' party. It's a shame that the Social Democratic wing of the party are more statist than labour. Still think the £10,000 tax excemption is the best idea any party has put forward this election.
  • Options
    The Times is read by the people who run the country.

The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.

The Telegraph is read by the people who think they own the country.

The Independant want the Conservatives, Liberal Democrats, Labour Party to run the country.

The Guardian is read by the people who would like someone else to run the country.

The Mirror is read by the people who don't care who run the country.

The Morning Star is read by people who want another country to run the country.

The Sun is read by the people who don't care who run the country as long as they've got big tits.

The Star wants Elvis to run the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I'd like to vote for a social and economically 'liberal' party. It's a shame that the Social Democratic wing of the party are more statist than labour. Still think the £10,000 tax excemption is the best idea any party has put forward this election.

And I think unilaterally removing our Nuclear deterrant is unwise.
  • Options
    This is a stitch-up - all the parties and the media have something on just about every MP, but the unofficial deal is that unless an MP is caught red-handed that Labour won't dish the dirt on a Tory/Lib-Dem MP and vice-versa. This hints of desparation by the Tory party who have lost a lot of ground to Clegg over the last week and you can expect a story on a Tory MP to hit the press in a few days in retaliation.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If the Lib Dems ran the country (won't happen- but if) as well as they run my local council...... £35 to dispose of a bag of garden waste, £600,000 for a bus shelter that looked crap from day one and now looks like a crap bombsite, £3m for regeneration of the high street when a good clean and regular maintenance would suffice, £200,000 for an Eco cafe in a park that no one ever goes to, knocking down a high achieving junior school to build yet another car park in the town centre which leads the world in car park construction and choice, Dog turds covering the pavements near schools that seemingly take root and multiply but are never ever removed.
    They say they don't believe in council tax but have no problems charging one of the highest rates in the UK and is increasing beyond the rate of inflation year on year, not to mention investing heavily in the Icelandic banks that collapsed after recieving warnings of impending meltdown costing local tax payers a fortune etc...........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I'd like to vote for a social and economically 'liberal' party. It's a shame that the Social Democratic wing of the party are more statist than labour. Still think the £10,000 tax excemption is the best idea any party has put forward this election.

And I think unilaterally removing our Nuclear deterrant is unwise.

That's not the policy, not spending £100bn on Trident is the policy, but a cheaper deterrant is what Lib Dems want
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I'd like to vote for a social and economically 'liberal' party. It's a shame that the Social Democratic wing of the party are more statist than labour. Still think the £10,000 tax excemption is the best idea any party has put forward this election.[/quote]

Every party has a broad spectrum of left and right representatives, but I dont think you have to worry about a Stalinist Social Democrat wing of the Liberal Democrats, they arent the ones running the party, its the new Turks Clegg, Laws and Huhne who are pulling the strings and they are economically right wing and pro market (much to the consternation of the old guard in the lib dems).
  • Options
    Guardian declaring their leader line later this afternoon, Im expecting support for the Lib Dems looking at their coverage in the past two weeks but could revert to type and slide in behind GB.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Valley Gary wash your mouth out!

A fart?!....im 26!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]

Every party has a broad spectrum of left and right representatives, but I dont think you have to worry about a Stalinist Social Democrat wing of the Liberal Democrats, they arent the ones running the party, its the new Turks Clegg, Laws and Huhne who are pulling the strings and they are economically right wing and pro market (much to the consternation of the old guard in the lib dems).

Bloody hell Thommo, i was only worrying about unaffordable spending commitments and an anti enterprise philosophy. Now i'm worrying about politically motivated purges and an unchecked MI5 dragging from my bed at night. They must be stopped before it's too late!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]

Bloody hell Thommo, i was only worrying about unaffordable spending commitments and an anti enterprise philosophy. Now i'm worrying about politically motivated purges and an unchecked MI5 dragging from my bed at night. They must be stopped before it's too late!

Apologies sorry read Statist as Stalinist (whaddamistakatomaka), I think more often than not the right wing press conflate the two when talking of Brown and his drawing of power back to the centre. I think there is a strong battle to be had about supporting enterprise for all three parties as at the moment only the Tories are talking the language of private enterprise (unsuprisingly).
  • Options
    Watched the debate online and felt....

Clegg: Impressive, stood his ground on the unpopular issues (immigration, Europe) and did well on Iraq.

Brown: Has there ever been a worse campaigner than Gordon Brown? I so much want to like him but he has the warmth of a coffin. I am life-long Labour but he does not do much for me, sounded like GWB at times.

Cameron: Tries so very hard but comes across as trying to polish the turd a bit too enthusiastically.