Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exeter vs. Charlton - Poll, Views, Team, News

WSSWSS
edited April 2010 in General Charlton
Unfortuantely, I don't have the time to do a full preview today so please make this thread your own like always. With the ups and down of the previous weeks it could be a case that automatic promotion is back in our hands or alternatively we could still be waiting for that elusive point to guarantee a playoff spot. Who knows?

It will be interesting to see whether Burton/Reid/Shelvey starts but I really don't care at the moment - I just want to win.

Happy St. Georges Day and Come On You Reds!

Comments

• Options
    Another one nil to the Londoners. Forster on the mark.
  • Options
    Crmble under the pressure but come out with a draw.
  • Options
    1-0 win. Burton back on the scoresheet.
  • Options
    A few figures about Exeter's defence ...

Last weekend's defeat at Prenton Park ended a run of 9 games without defeat during which they had only conceded 5 goals.

Outside the top 10 only Oldham have a better defensive record.

But there's always hope since they let in a fifth of their goals in the last 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Both Sodje's, Bailey and Reid all doubts. So could see Llera, Wagstaff and Burton all starting, maybe even Shelvey.

We should have enough to win, but it'll be a hard game and I'm pretty sure if we do win it won't be by more than 1 or 2 goals. If Exeter attack us hopefully that'll give Burton, Sam etc that bit of room to create some good chances. Or will Exeter look to sit back and crowd us out like Norwich ended up doing?

As usual the first goal will be vital and change how the game plays out.
  • Options
    Charlton win - Burton and Shelvey on the scoresheet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As usual the first goal will be vital and change how the game plays out.
    indeed our last 5 games have only had the first goal!

And there have only been 6 first-half goals in Exeter's last 15 games.
  • Options
    Can`t score draw.
  • Options
    Think their will may be greater than ours on the day, so Exeter to win I fear.
  • Options
    Exeter are still very much in the relegation mix and their home record is as good as anybody outside the top 8 and Gillingham.

I fear their desire on the day will prove greater than ours and enable them to sneak a narrow win.

I really hope to be proved wrong though as I consider that our only realistic hope of promotion is automatically which means 3 wins from 3 games and even that may still be insufficient!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0 to The Arsenal Charlton.

Exeter play some nice football and I expect an open game which should benefit us. If Burton starts then I'd expect more goals from us, especially if Jonjo has any involvement. I would consider starting Bailey on the bench as he just looks knackered at the moment, but Parkinson may be forced to start with him if we have other injuries. Racon and Semedo are a must in the midfield whatever team Parky decides to pick.

We seem to be getting better every week at the moment and I think one of our opponents is going to get a real beating soon (hopefully Leeds next week!).

Unfortunately I'm not going to this game so I'll have to make do with all 20 seconds of the highlights on the BBC with some expert Steve Claridge analysis.

Anything less than a win and our hopes of automatic promotion are over but lets not end on a negative, a Charlton victory for me!
  • Options
    Desire hasn't been an issue recently, in fact it's probably been a strength of the team in the last few games.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Exeter's home record against the top sides this season:

Norwich City 1-1
    Swindon Town 1-1
    Swindon Town (JPT) 1-1 (lost 3-4 on Pens)
    Millwall 1-1
    Leeds United 2-0
    Southampton 1-1
    Colchester 2-0

They have not lost a single game against the top teams in the division if we use Mourinho's rule that penalty shoot outs do not count.

(They play Huddersfield at home on the last day)
  • Options
    Think the team will be the same if all fit (he wont change a losing team) Exeter win 1-0
  • Options
    It'll be tight. They were very impressive on the Telly against Leeds, particularly in defence. That said, we have to start as favourites, whatever the doom and gloomers say.

Burton to start alongside Forster, rest Bailey and bring Jonjo in either nominally on the right or left, but roaming a bit to get on the ball. Push the fullback's up to compensate for the lack of width Jonjo will bring with him and get at em!

Not going to predict a result as I'm crap at it and often a jinx, but we can defintely beat this lot if we keep up the energy levels we showed against Norwich - out work them and our better quality should show through. Fail to match them and we'll come unstuck like Leeds did.
  • Options
    I was thinking 0-2 to us but they are very tight and really need the win too. This could mean an open game or it could mean a really cagey affair.

Seeing as we have nothing to lose I hope we go for the win and get it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Seeing as we have nothing to lose I hope we go for the win and get it

This is the way we need to look at it, if we really attack these last three games, we'll surely pick up at least the 1 point we need to be absolutely certain of the play-offs so we should go in with no fear and the pressure off - at least until the last day when it may be back in our hands in which case the pressure would be right on us.

I have a suspicion Parky the Pragmatist will go the Exeter with the old safety first mentality though and go looking harder for the point that gurantees the play-offs than the 3 that might get us up automatically.
  • Options
    I dont agree, I for some reason think that we will go for it big time tomorrow!That said, you cant take Exeters form away from them, I'm going to go for a surprise 0-2, Burton and Forster to get one each!

COYR!
  • Options
    I have a feeling we'll sneak this one, as many have said we're not scoring many but not conceding many either. 1-0 seems the sensible bet.
  • Options
    We'll continue the performance against Norwich and it'll be a goal fest! But then I have had a drink.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Think the team will be the same if all fit (he wont change a losing team) Exeter win 1-0

He has no reason to change the team. We're playing better every week and are producing good results and performances against the top sides and but for their goalkeeper we would have won the Norwich game.
  • Options
    Last time I remember us playing a team with a good defence off the back of a string of 1-0s was the 98 play off final. 4-4 it is then!
  • Options
    With the injury's quoted maybe Fry could appear on the bench as two of our loanees may be out.Might he even be a safer bet than Llera for a starting role.

This shows how sensible Parkinson's three deadline signings were to beef up the squad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Think the team will be the same if all fit (he wont change a losing team) Exeter win 1-0

He has no reason to change the team. We're playing better every week and are producing good results and performances against the top sides and but for their goalkeeper we would have won the Norwich game.

Is that in your opinion or fact?
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited April 2010
    25900389163007865274569.jpg
  • Options
    now or never for the automatics so hopefully a gung-ho performance throwing the kitchen sink at em and hopefully scoring unlike last week
  • Options

If that's for real, superb, but I'm amazed Exeter game gets a live airing
  • Options
    Got to, need to, will do.

3 points for the Addicks.

COYR