Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

best songs of 2010 so far?

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
A lot of good songs coming out this year, a brilliant album by Laura Marling and new albums from The National and LCD Soundsystem to look forward too. Actually released last year, but there are really good albums from The xx and Dan Clews too. And Ash keep releasing great singles every two weeks!

1. Devil's Spoke - Laura Marling
2. VCR - The xx
3. Move Too Fast - Dan Clews
4. What's It In For - Avi Buffalo
5. Bloodbuzz Ohio - The National
6. I Can Change - LCD Soundsystem
7. War With Me - Ash
9. The Cave - Mumford and Sons
9. On Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz
10. Love You Better - The Maccabees
11. Only Man - Audio Bullys
12. Giving Up The Gun - Vampire Weekend
13. Radar Detector - Darwin Deez
14. Paradise Blues -Eels
15. One Life Stand - Hot Chip
16. O.N.E. - Yeasayer
17. Bright Lights - Placebo
18. Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema
19. You Overdid It Doll - The Courteeners
20. This Orient - Foals
21. Doubt - Delphic

Comments

• Options
    haven't heard any of those salad lol
  • Options
    OMG I don't know any of these artists, and i'm a singer LOL.
  • Options
    really none of them?!
    Some are a bit obscure, fair enough, but equally some well known acts too - some wiki factoids on the first few ...

Laura Marling's new album entered the album chart at no.4 and I reckon could win the Mercury Prize this year (her last one was nominated).

The xx album was no2. in the NME and no.9 in the Rolling Stone albums of 2009

Dan Clews and Avi Buffalo fair enough, new artists!

And the National are great but admittedly a cult band (Albert Hall gig next week sold out in 4 minutes) - their excellent song "Fake Empire" was widely used during Obama's campaign.

Surprised you haven't heard of LCD Soundsystem, their last album was one of the best of the last 10 years and won many album of the year awards in 2007.

And you must have heard of Ash surely - two number one albums and massive singles such as Girl From Mars, Burn Baby Burn, Shining Light ....

Mumford and Sons get a lot of radio play on R1, R2, XFM and Virgin

Gorillaz have had three top 3 albums, selling over 15 million albums, a no. 1 single and have got some bloke from Blur
  • Options
    Young Forever - Jay-Z
    Replay - Iyaz
    Forever - Drake
    Pass Out - Tinie Tempah
  • Options
    Had to get Ash in there didn't you! :-)

Looking forward to the new LCD SS album even though their performance at Brixton last week was a bit slapdash.

The National are superb.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Halcyon - Delphic
    the XX - Intro (about to be released thanks to the BBC)
    O.N.E - Yeasayer
    I feel better - Hot Chip
    Starry Eyed - Ellie Goulding
    Percussion Gun - White Rabbits
    I Can Talk - Two Door Cinema Club
  • Options
    I thought we were referring to singles not albums with the title, heard mumford & sons who aren't bad, im sure everyone knows gorrilaz

You sound like you know more about music then your average joe, generally i only here whats on radio 1, kiss or music channels, not ignorant just what i tend to listen to and i generally download new songs which i hear(not illegally) and make a mix

Scouting for girls- This aint a love song
    David Guetta- Memories
    Skepta- Bad boy
    Ellie Goulding- Starry Eyed

are just a few of my favourate tracks so far this year
  • Options
    What's It In For by Avi Buffalo has been getting a lot of plays from me and the album arrived yesterday and has already been played to death!

I managed to get tickets for The National at the Electric Ballroom the night before the Royal Albert Hall gig so can't wait for that!

Written in Reverse - Spoon
    Forest Green, Oh Forest Green - Holly Miranda
    Sun Lake Rinsed - The Ruby Suns
    Norway - Beach House
    Anchorage - Surfer Blood
    Lovesick - Lindstrom & Christabelle
  • Options
    Sorry...didnt see Mumford and sons in the list first time round. Absolutely love them 'cos they dont try to be like anyone else and they sing for their audience, not for themselves. For me they are the anti Snow Patrol.
  • Options
    Hi Sco - I have got tickets for The National at RAH next week now, email me if you fancy meeting up beforehand.

Windscreen, sounds like you might like Ms Marling too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plan B - Stay too long
    Paul Weller - No tears left to cry
    The Xx - VCR
    The Courteeners - Overdil it doll
    Train - Hey Soul Sister
    Peaches - I feel cream (think it was released last year but not sure)
  • Options
    As always a fine selection salad. We have pretty similar taste.

My selection for this year would probably be skewed by me not having a clue when a lot of stuff actually came out.
  • Options
    I've bought a load of great stuff this year, but I'm going to have to go for Mumford & Son as my favourite -... all their stuff is superb and I'm pissed off that my son is going to see them at Glastonbury and I won't.

Other tops would be:
    Amy MacDonald
    Carbon / Silicon
    Doves (Best of)
    Neil Young
    Paula Darwish
    The Popes and Shane MacGowan
    Jonsi

... and while we are on the subject of music I just got tickets for The Levellers / Seth Lakeman outdoor gig at the Royal Naval College in July ... this should be brilliant.
  • Options
    Salad...had a listen to Ms Marling. Beautiful tone, songs a bit samey...the problem for myself and Mrs Windscreen is that we listen to songs from the perspective of writers, so maybe makes us a little more critical. Not neccersarily a good thing but comes with the territory.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]Salad...had a listen to Ms Marling. Beautiful tone, songs a bit samey...the problem for myself and Mrs Windscreen is that we listen to songs from the perspective of writers, so maybe makes us a little more critical. Not neccersarily a good thing but comes with the territory.

I almost feel the opposite, she borrows various singing styles from other less popular female songwriters and I don't end up with a clear idea of her own voice.

Im looking forward to Josh Ritters new album coming out in a few days time.
  • Options
    You should listen to her debut album. Laura Marling is amazing. Plus I never miss a good opportunity to show off my photography :)

Laura Marling @ Electric Gardens Festival Laura Marling
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]You should listen to her debut album. Laura Marling is amazing. Plus I never miss a good opportunity to show off my photography :)

[url=]Laura Marling @ Electric Gardens Festival[/url][url=]Laura Marling[/url]

Nice pics Bha, She looks a salt :o)
  • Options
    Retro Rockets- The Stranglers- Didnt make it into charts due to the x Factor rubbish dominating but never the less a great song.
  • Options
    Love the The xx's album, also love Animal Collectives, Band of Horses and Two Door Cinema Club's albums!

Also my band are supporting Bloc Party soon ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]haven't heard any of those salad lol
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]OMG I don't know any of these artists, and i'm a singer LOL.

Never heard of Eels, Ash, Placebo?
    They've each been around since the mid 90's, have made many famous albums, are internationally known, and play to audiences of thousands. And if you've never heard of Gorillaz then I must ask if you've heard of Blur?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]some bloke from Blur

some bloke!

Bloody hell. Is that all Damon Albarn can be described as after all those years and songs

On Jonathon Ross
  • Options
    Laura Manning is massively overrated, go listen to Joanna Newsom instead
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    XX - crystalised
    Plan B - She said
    Jamie T - Emily's Heart
    The Courteeners - Overdid it doll
    LCD Soundsystem - Drunk Girls
    The Cave - Mumford and Sons
    Hot Chip - One Life Stand
    Blur - Fool's Day
  • Options
    "Diamond Eyes" (Deftones)
    "Royal" (Deftones)
    "CMND/CTRL" (Deftones)
    "You've Seen the Butcher" (Deftones)
    "Beauty School" (Deftones)
    "Prince" (Deftones)
    "Rocket Skates" (Deftones)
    "Sextape" (Deftones)
    "Risk" (Deftones)
    "976–EVIL" (Deftones)
    "This Place Is Death" (Deftones)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]"Diamond Eyes" (Deftones)
    "Royal" (Deftones)
    "CMND/CTRL" (Deftones)
    "Prince" (Deftones)
    "Sextape" (Deftones)
    "Risk" (Deftones)
    "976–EVIL" (Deftones)

That's quite a mix of songs there. You obviously have a broad taste in music. ;-)

I'm working on the original list. Have listened to a few of the songs now, didn't think too much of what I heard, but I'll keep on going. Music needs more gimmicks to keep me interested.

I must be the only one who likes "Telephone" by Lady Gaga and Beyonce. I can put together a better list maybe another time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]"Diamond Eyes" (Deftones)
    "Royal" (Deftones)
    "CMND/CTRL" (Deftones)
    "Prince" (Deftones)
    "Sextape" (Deftones)
    "Risk" (Deftones)
    "976–EVIL" (Deftones)

That's quite a mix of songs there. You obviously have a broad taste in music. ;-)

I'm working on the original list. Have listened to a few of the songs now, didn't think too much of what I heard, but I'll keep on going. Music needs more gimmicks to keep me interested.

I must be the only one who likes "Telephone" by Lady Gaga and Beyonce. I can put together a better list maybe another time
    Funny thing is, I actually DO have a pretty broad taste in music. It's just that the new Deftones album is the bext album I've heard for about two years
  • Options
    I have a confession, I do not own a Deftones album and it's pathetic cos every time I hear them I think "greeaaaat".

I want to rectify that - Question, which Deftones album(s) should I go for immediately?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Plan B - She said
    Jamie T - Emily's Heart
    I'd add these - forgot Emily's Heart was released as a single this year

Will checkout Deftones too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I have a confession, I do not own a Deftones album and it's pathetic cos every time I hear them I think "greeaaaat".

I want to rectify that - Question, which Deftones album(s) should I go for immediately?
    The new one (Diamond Eyes - out next month) - a perfect blend of their more ethereal stuff and the aggression of earlier albums
    White Pony - a bit more experimental, with some mellower songs than the first two albums
    Around The Fur - 'heaviest' album to date - with one of the best songs ever written (Be Quiet And Drive)
  • Options
    I now know who the Gorillaz are...saw them try to perform on Jools Holland last night. Two rappers, monotone, boring lyrics, out of time...I just dont get it, I wouldnt employ them!