Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

best songs of 2010 so far?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I now know who the Gorillaz are...saw them try to perform on Jools Holland last night. Two rappers, monotone, boring lyrics, out of time...I just dont get it, I wouldnt employ them!

I don't think I can take you seriously. You claim to be some kind of professional musician who allegedly knows a lot about about music, but say that you've never heard of bands like Eels and Placebo. You then make a judgement of Gorillaz on one performance, and in addition you still seem to be ignorant of Blur.

When it comes to opinions on music it's hard to say whose right or wrong as a lot of it comes down to taste. If you want to make some kind of critical assessment based on tone etc (incidentally tone is the only factor you've mentioned so far) that's fine, but at least you should know who people are. Criticise Gorillaz all you like but Damon Albarn's music writing history speaks for itself. As such a professional what have you done that can compare?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite] Surprised you haven't heard of LCD Soundsystem, their last album was one of the best of the last 10 years and won many album of the year awards in 2007.
    The new album is just as good, if not better. 'Dance yrself clean', 'All I want', 'I can change' and 'Home' are particularly incredible
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I now know who the Gorillaz are...saw them try to perform on Jools Holland last night. Two rappers, monotone, boring lyrics, out of time...I just dont get it, I wouldnt employ them!

Do you exclusively get your music through Jonathan Ross and Jools Holland performances? Seriously, try listening to a Gorillaz album before you dismiss them as 'two rappers'. Damon Albarn is one of the great songwriters of the last 20 years
  • Options
    The *insert opposition name here* Family song.
  • Options
    Leeds fans singing " we only need one goal." ;-0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]The National are superb.
    [cite]Posted By: Pricey[/cite]I managed to get tickets for The National at the Electric Ballroom the night before the Royal Albert Hall gig so can't wait for that!
    The National are in session on Radio 6 this morning around 11:15-11:30 I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    half eleven they're on just in case anyone is interested, by the way they have a free download of Bloodbuzz Ohio here: link

[cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Leeds fans singing " we only need one goal." ;-0)
    I had my own little solo rendition of "one goal, you only wanted one goal" when Akpo scored :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Pricey[/cite]I managed to get tickets for The National at the Electric Ballroom the night before the Royal Albert Hall gig so can't wait for that!

Good on you. Would prefer that to my Royal Albert Hall ones but hey ho.
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]The National are in session on Radio 6 this morning around 11:15-11:30 I think.

On that!

BTW: Beach House album (Teen Dream) is excellent and the new Band of Horses album is too. The new National album looks to be another that you have to give time, even more given to repeated lyrics than before.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Pricey[/cite]I managed to get tickets for The National at the Electric Ballroom the night before the Royal Albert Hall gig so can't wait for that![/quote]

I saw them last year at The Royal Festival Hall and was surprised at how well they came across in a larger venue so I'm pretty sure you'll be in for a very special night tomorrow.

[quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]The National are in session on Radio 6 this morning around 11:15-11:30 I think.[/quote]

On that!

BTW: Beach House album (Teen Dream) is excellent and the new Band of Horses album is too. The new National album looks to be another that you have to give time, even more given to repeated lyrics than before.[/quote]

Agreed, Teen Dream is fantastic. A lovely little step up from their previous albums. Wasn't expecting that much from the new Band Of Horses but really enjoyed my first couple of listens.

The new Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void is another grower!

[quote][cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Pricey[/cite]I managed to get tickets for The National at the Electric Ballroom the night before the Royal Albert Hall gig so can't wait for that![/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]The National are in session on Radio 6 this morning around 11:15-11:30 I think.[/quote]

On that!

BTW: Beach House album (Teen Dream) is excellent and the new Band of Horses album is too. The new National album looks to be another that you have to give time, even more given to repeated lyrics than before.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    anyone else disappointed and bored by the new, ravely reviewed, Arcade Fire album?
    I don't know whether it is a case of the Emperor's New clothes for a rather grandiose but boring record or is it's brilliance is just passing me by?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exile on Main Street - The Stones, best album of 2010. I know, I know, its a re-issue.
  • Options
    That Day - Villagers
    Zebra - Beach House
    Wall of Arms - Macabbees
    Celestica - Crystal Castles
    My KZ Ur BF - Everything Everything
    I and Love and You - Avett Brothers
    Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John - Belle & Sebastian featuring Norah Jones
    Northern Skies - I am Kloot
    Let's Go Surfing - The Drums
    Running Away - Goldhawks
    Neutron Star Collision - Muse
  • Options
    Duck Sauce - Barbara Streisand
  • Options
    We Used To Wait - Arcade Fire
    God and Satan - Biffy Clyro
    Rinse Me Down - Bombay Bicycle Club
    Crossfire - Brandon Flowers
    Mona Lisa - Dinosaur Pile-Up
    Lies - Fenech Solar
    On Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz
    In Spirit Golden - I Blame Choco
    Radioactive - Kings of Leon
    White Blank Page - Mumford and Sons
    Islands - xx
    White Sky - Vampire Weekend
  • Options
    Tightrope - Janelle Monae
    Rill Rill - Sleigh Bells
    Our Riotous Defects - of Montreal
    Celestica - Crystal Castles
    White Russian Doll - Lucky Soul
    Dreaming Of Another World - Mystery Jets
    What's In It For? - Avi Buffalo
    Woe Is Me - The Walkmen
    Converstation 16 - The National
    When I'm With You - Best Coast
    Swim - Surfer Blood
    Beach Comber - Real Estate
    All Come Down - Steve Mason
  • Options
    Billionaire- Travie Mccoy
  • Options
    Cave - Mumford and Sons
    Cave - Jo McCafferty
    Bubbles - Biffy Clyro
    Tumblin' Dice (remastered) - The Rolling Stones
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A lot of love for Biffy here, got to say I love Many of Horror by them. That whole album's fantastic though.
  • Options
    This is all shit. Was Radio Clash and Born to Lose out this year? I lose track of time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Cave - Mumford and Sons
    Cave -Jo McCafferty
    Bubbles - Biffy Clyro

Although... I'd have to say that's not a bad list, particularly Bubbles: There's a girl, there's a girl, there's a girl, there's a girl DOWN BY THE RIVER. Bit of a cheat having tumbling dice, though Lexo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    eminem-not affraid
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]A lot of love for Biffy here, got to say I love Many of Horror by them. That whole album's fantastic though.

If you think their last album is fantastic, check out the first 3. Far superior in every way.
  • Options
    Shock & Awe - Teenage Fanclub
  • Options
    The new Arcade Fire Album is excellent. The Allo' Darlin album is also a good listen. I'm horribly out of touch these days though so i can't really hold my own in musical discussions anymore. I did see The Eels last month though and they were terrific.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Cave - Mumford and Sons
    Cave -Jo McCafferty
    Bubbles - Biffy Clyro

Although... I'd have to say that's not a bad list, particularly Bubbles: There's a girl, there's a girl, there's a girl, there's a girl DOWN BY THE RIVER. Bit of a cheat having tumbling dice, though Lexo.
    lol, just pushing the envelope Morts ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not all this year but all unsigned and within the past 4 years...

Let Our Enemies Beware: Fools Philistines Heretics and Whores ONE
    Breton: Episodes TWO
    William: Playground THREE

All south London boys..