Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premiership - getting worse every year?

We'll that's that for another year then.

Take Fulham's cup run and Spurs breaking into the top 4, due to Liverpools poorest year for decades, and it's pretty much gone to form once again. No surprises down at the bottom at all either. We'd have stayed up comfortably with our average points total in the Premiership, West Ham stayed up with a total that in many years would have seen them drop (they last went down with 42 I think) and at least 4(?) teams getting 7 or more put past them in one game.

No doubt Chelsea's 100+ goals will get trotted out by many as proof that it's the best league in the world but to me it's more proof that there's a right lot of old rubbish knocking about in it at the moment.

No doubt in my mind that this year is the poorest yet in terms of overall quality and I can't see it getting better any time soon.

Comments

• Options
    Got to agree. Spurs get into the Champions League having lost 10 matches. The three relegated teams couldn't get more than 30 points something which has, I believe, never happened before in the Premiership.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    plastic football at its worst, such a boring league..maybe its time for fifa to form a euro super league and get rid of the likes of chelsea. you know their plastic fans will be moaning and booing if things go wrong in the first few games next season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]you know their plastic fans will be moaning and booing if things go wrong in the first few games next season
    You talking about us now?
  • Options
    4 Teams stayed up with less than 40 points. Ridiculous.

The top 2 will conitnue to keep getting stronger whilst the bottom half weaker.
  • Options
    The fact is there is less quality at the very top (the old top4) now Alonso, Ronaldo have gone and Torres, Fabregas, Van Persie have been injured so much whilst there is also less quality near the bottom, as shown by the fact a team needed only 31 points to stay up this season. Wigan, West Ham and Wolves would have most probably gone down as well in any other season.

Imho there is more about the teams below the traditional top 4, teams such as Everton up to Spurs all have players who would easily get into Chelsea or Man Utds team and are in some areas stronger. This has led to the gap closing as no longer are the 5-8th place teams selling their best players to the top teams but instead are building on players like Modric, Milner, Tevez, Arteta etc and having very good squads.

If I were a liverpool fan, I would be very worried about next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]you know their plastic fans will be moaning and booing if things go wrong in the first few games next season
    You talking about us now?

maybe if we have just lost our first 2 games against rochdale and bournemouth but maybe not if we have just lost to...well i was gonna say hull, burnley and portsmouth but if we go up we'd probaby expect to beat them, in fact if we go up this year then i think the championship will be very open next year, theres no newcastles or west broms in that league
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And yet it's where we want to be..................strange aint it?
  • Options
    More a case of where we need to be Soundas.
  • Options
    prem is worth 90m to a promoted championship team, whats the championship worth a promoted league 1 team?
  • Options
    I agree. I'm not sure whether it's because we aren't involved in the prem anymore but I find it so boring. Im hoping Spurs and City spend big in the summer and bring some top players to England and challenge the title.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    God almighty! Are you mad!? Can you imagine how much more gobby spurs fans would be if they won the title!? They've been living off past glories for the last 40-50 years, don't need a new one! I can't actually imagine anything worse!
  • Options
    I dont know about anyone else, but I dont even watch match of the day anymore, I just think it has become so boring.
  • Options
    It's awful. Wigan, Wolves and West Ham would all go down in another season. Bolton would be in trouble too. They're all very lucky that Hull, Burnley and Portsmouth are three of the worst 10 teams ever to play at that level since the breakaway.

The standard in the Premier League has really dropped since we left. ;-)
  • Options
    How can you have a 'Champions' League with a team in it who last won the top flight back in the '60s. Definately time for a Euro Super League, wage caps & fairer academy systems.

I know the money in the NFL is huge, but every year they seem to have a new winner, new competition & at the beggining of the season almost anyone could win it. When only 2, possibly 3, can win it at the beginning of the season it takes away from it.
  • Options
    It was inevitable the quality would go down as soon as the recession hit, you may get the odd team spending but the majority didn't and as soon as that happens the league will of course drop in standard. For me the funds awarded to clubs in the Premiership need to be sorted out and very quickly, the whole thing will come tumbling down soon.

Teams like Pompey and Hull look in a very bad state and perhaps the increased money to relegated clubs will help unless the money available is more evenly distributed the more the league will become more predictable.
  • Options
    i think top end premiership has improved considerably ... next year there will be 6/7 fighting for 4 spots.... middle is much of a muchness but the bottom has deffo got worse and there is some proper dross ....

still our league was so tight and is therefore the greatest strongest toughest league one there ever has been
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]How can you have a 'Champions' League with a team in it who last won the top flight back in the '60s. Definately time for a Euro Super League, wage caps & fairer academy systems.

I know the money in the NFL is huge, but every year they seem to have a new winner, new competition & at the beggining of the season almost anyone could win it. When only 2, possibly 3, can win it at the beginning of the season it takes away from it.

I agree but the only reason for the NFL being such a level-playing field is because of the draft system. You couldn't implement that in football without a complete overhaul from grass-roots up. I couldn't really see it working. For one, there's too many clubs in english football. And secondly, it would have to be a europe-wide change. Because even if it did sort out the english leagues, having the best players spread out over all the teams would certainly mean there being an unfair advantage in UEFA and the Champions league for teams who could buy who they want.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]I agree. I'm not sure whether it's because we aren't involved in the prem anymore but I find it so boring.

Thats exactly why it is. Do you know how many fans of prem teams dont bother to watch division3 football? Its because the football is so poor and most teams including Charlton just lump the ball out of defence to the forwards. Division3 isn't exciting it just happens to be the league your favourite team plays in and next year if promoted everyone will be saying that the only good league is the Championship. The premiership is far more exciting than the dross we've had to watch this year
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    To be fair uncle, I'm not "bored" of the Premiership, in my opinion this season has been one of the most entertaining for yonks.

What I do think, speaking as a football fan who's team don't deserve to be in there or don't look likely to be in there again for a fair while (if ever), is that the quality is dire.

As above, 7 teams under 40 points, a team staying up who've only won 8 games all season, a team staying up (comfortably) with a GD of -42 and conceding 79 goals in the season, Blackburn finishing 10th! Birmingham finishing 9th 20 points ahead of 19th, yet 20 points behind 4th, Spurs getting champions league having lost over a quarter of their league games. It all adds up. Goals yes. Entertainment most definitely. High quality hit and miss. It's always been a "multi-league" division but this year there are probably as many as 5 or 6 mini-leagues in there. I think it was steve bruce the other week that said his aim for the rest of the season was Sunderland to finish top of "their" league, i.e. 9th.
  • Options
    Well for me Ive enjoyed this season thouroughly, both our season(not ober yet) and the Premiership...

Over here you can watch 5 games at a time,, (like Champs league ove in London) so Im using listening to Charlton streaming Soccer Satruday and have four games split across the screen on the TV.....

I dont really enjoy the Prem, its more a case of its there whilst Im listening to Charlton...

Either way Im very disappointed that its all coming to an end...

Just want Charlton to Go up so I can enjoy the winter here in massive expectation of next yr.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem with the premier league is the distribution of wealth. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting left behind.

There are 6 or 7 teams with money who are fine, then there are a dozen or so teams who could get dragged into a relegation battle and anyone coming up faces a massive task just to stay up
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think top end premiership has improved considerably ... next year there will be 6/7 fighting for 4 spots....

this is very very true. chelsea this year have looked like machines, the speed, accuracy going forward and the clinical-ness in front of goal has been alarming recently. they fully deserved to win the league, they even look in a different class to united. its not normal though really, bring back the open stadiums, mud, nearly waterlogged pitches, terraces, floodlights, proper tackling, non pansy referees, the big match......and see if chelsea still look as good without the likes of drogba who wouldnt hack it under those conditions in england
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think top end premiership has improved considerably ... next year there will be 6/7 fighting for 4 spots.... middle is much of a muchness but the bottom has deffo got worse and there is some proper dross ....

still our league was so tight and is therefore the greatest strongest toughest league one there ever has been

The Premiership has now moved to a top three (MU, Chelsea, Arsenal) with another three fighting over the fourth spot (Liverpool, Man City, Spurs) - Villa are a decent side but can't live with the big boys financially as we are likely to see in the summer.

Liverpool look like getting booted out of that top group unless some dickhead comes in pay off the Yanks which will leave City and Spurs fighting for 4th spot which means that Spurs will need a decent ECL run next year to compete with City's financial muscle.

If City get Torres/Gerrard in the summer then you can bank on them for 4th next year - if they get Mourinho in the summer then all bets are off.
  • Options
    i love the prem, always have always will yes there is some cack in it but there is some great players and teams in there it has not changed one iota since we were in it the only thing that keeps me going is the hope that one day we may return and then people will say look how poor the prem is with charlton and hull and burnley in it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think top end premiership has improved considerably ... next year there will be 6/7 fighting for 4 spots.... middle is much of a muchness but the bottom has deffo got worse and there is some proper dross ....

The Premiership has now moved to a top three (MU, Chelsea, Arsenal) with another three fighting over the fourth spot (Liverpool, Man City, Spurs) - Villa are a decent side but can't live with the big boys financially as we are likely to see in the summer.

Liverpool look like getting booted out of that top group unless some dickhead comes in pay off the Yanks which will leave City and Spurs fighting for 4th spot which means that Spurs will need a decent ECL run next year to compete with City's financial muscle.

If City get Torres/Gerrard in the summer then you can bank on them for 4th next year - if they get Mourinho in the summer then all bets are off.

i think city are worth a bet probably sooner rather than later, you can see them going for it big time in the summer. they have the money, they have seen what chelsea have had to do and how they have done it. with that knowledge i expect city to go on a frenzied buying onslaught capturing all the world cup big names that perform next month.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

i think city are worth a bet probably sooner rather than later, you can see them going for it big time in the summer. they have the money, they have seen what chelsea have had to do and how they have done it. with that knowledge i expect city to go on a frenzied buying onslaught capturing all the world cup big names that perform next month.

Yes, but they can't get the really big names (Kaka) unless they get into the Champions League.

Spurs' financial rectitude will be sorely tested this Summer as the Euro agents try and tempt them to spend 20 million + Champions League class players - can Harry keep his self control?
  • Options
    I doubt Harry will keep his self control Ormiston the pressure and temptation will simply be too great, before we know it Mcleod and Dickson will be the next of our highly rated stars to leave The Valley!
  • Options
    I quiet enjoyed the premiership this year, a lot more competition for key positions, although it does seem like theres about 12 teams fighting to avoid relegation..regarding the "top four" im just hoping that Spurs to get drawn to a proper team in that qualifying round so they fail to make the group stage
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Personally, I think the Prem is quality.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It depends what you want. The big problem for me about the premiership is all the celeb cult round it, where players managers pundits give tedious stock answers and the latest wag/ affair/ roasting/punch up becomes huge tabloid focus.
    The one good thing about the lower divisions is it is just about the football which personally I prefer.
    The football itself in the prem is of course better quality than we see down at the valley currently, but whether it is a better matchday experience is open to debate I guess you pays your money you makes your choice on that one.