Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

election woes part deux

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]I personally think Clegg is playing a blinder, this country needs to get rid of First Past the Post, Im sick of voting in elections where my vote doesnt count, how is that democratic.

The best form of electoral reform is FTFP+, whereby the largest party, regardless of whether it has a majority, has its seats topped up so that it has a comfortable majority.
    ;o)

Haha think Ill stick with my preference for Single Transferable Vote.

Ill give you the plausible (but not the highly) ;o)

Fair enough Thommo,
    FTFP+ ????
    I must have "fat-finger" syndrome ("fat-head" syndrome I hear you murmur)...........FPTP+ of course.
  • Options
    Looks like Labour have accepted that to form a pact with Libs and others would be unstable, so it now depends whether the Tories and Libs sell each other their souls or Tories will govern with a minority. Either way another election won't be far off.
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWSNumber 10 recognises that talks with the Lib Dems have not and will reach not any positive conclusion, and they are now discussing the method of declaring that their side of the negotiation is over, BBC Radio 5 Live's political correspondent Jon Pienaar says

Link
  • Options
    Nice one Gordy.
    An object lesson, that only you could conjure up, in how to leave office with complete ignominy.
  • Options
    Right cards on the table time from me beacuse this line keeps coming out and it is getting on me rather over sized man titties

Im sick of voting in elections where my vote doesnt count, how is that democratic.

13 or so years ago i was 22 renting accomadtion but looking to buy working hard earning good money, i was annoyed with the government i hated major and the likes i wanted change i voted labour not because i was told to by any paper but because i know my own mind i felt my vote counted it made a difference and my vote got in to power for 6-8 years boy did i do well out of it then for the next 4-5 yrs my standards of living dropped i watched my country in my eyes disappearing up its own arse.

So this time like i voted conservative i wanted a change and the libs dont and will never appeal to me

but when i voted labour that time 13 years ago no one mentioned their vote not counting, no one mentioned it being unfair this time all i have heard is how unfair fptp is

well really i dont think it is unfair but i dont know the alternitives

it is how it is it was not unfair when it suited you back then and its not unfair when it doesnt know

i feel that my vote has not counted this time and i know feel like never voting again

because the fairest way to settle a football match is the most goals wins

the fairest way to sort out parliment is most votes wins
  • Options
    Labour actually spent a lot of taxpayers money looking into voting reform when the report came back they ignored it and stuck with FPTP system.

If people are getting fed up now just imagine how difficult it's going to be with PR where 10 parties join together to form a majority.
  • Options
    and another thing i dont vote just for others i vote for me and my family and although i respect this point of view I just want a government that will at least try to help the poorest and most vulnerable in our society. i dont i want a government that will look after me some one who works pays taxes is married looks after his family

i dont really want one that makes me and my worth not as valid as someone who contributes nothing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Nice one Gordy.
    An object lesson, that only you could conjure up, in how to leave office with complete ignominy.

disagree. Not a fan or him or Labour but he played his last hand with the offer to Libs, lost and so has got up and walked away from the table. what else was he meant to do. just cave in on Friday morning. No politician would walk away while the game was still in the balance.

If Radio 4 is to be believed the Con-Lib deal is done and Clegg has played a blinding hand of poker, using the Lab offer to get more out of Cameron. We shall see.

We shall also see how well the tory and Lib-dems parties stay united with each other and internally. Labour will have a knife fight of a leadership election and I fully expect a few rats to leave the sinking ship for the newly empowered lib-dems.

Interesting times.
  • Options
    The way some folk are babbling about this, I think they believe there's been a military coup or some George Dubya style skullbuggery. There hasn't. What has occurred is properly in line with the democratic process as it was set out in law at the start of the election. Yes, it seems odd that a minority party can have so much bargaining power or that the party with the most seats don't form the government, but in a democracy you don't get to change the rules once an election is done, because the result didn't please you.

Odd that I've noticed that the people that are most hysterical about the demonic effect of PR tend to be those that are most concerned that the current result is somehow "unfair"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    If Radio 4 is to be believed the Con-Lib deal is done and Clegg has played a blinding hand of poker, using the Lab offer to get more out of Cameron. We shall see.
    I prefer David Blunketts quote 'Can you trust the Lib Dems? They are acting like every harlot in history'....
  • Options
    Looks like a coalition government by tomorrow morning with Clegg as Deputy Prime Minister.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Looks like a coalition government by tomorrow morning with Clegg as Deputy Prime Minister.

Really? Now that (the Clegg as deputy) does surprise me. If he's got that then remind to never play poker with him

PS can I just say that I took Alex Wright to the cleaners at Poker last weekend and I don't even play poker ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]The way some folk are babbling about this, I think they believe there's been a military coup or some George Dubya style skullbuggery. There hasn't. What has occurred is properly in line with the democratic process as it was set out in law at the start of the election. Yes, it seems odd that a minority party can have so much bargaining power or that the party with the most seats don't form the government, but in a democracy you don't get to change the rules once an election is done, because the result didn't please you.

Agree with you.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Looks like a coalition government by tomorrow morning with Clegg as Deputy Prime Minister.

Really? Now that (the Clegg as deputy) does surprise me. If he's got that then remind to never play poker with him
    It's come from the BBC, a Tory blogger. Suggesting Cameron in #10 tomorrow in a coalition government rather than the Libs supporting a minority govt. Six Cabinet places.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2010/05/cameron-will-be-prime-minister-by-tomorrow-morning.html
  • Options
    Cameron seems to have been in a hell of a rush to get into no. 10.

Any way I won't believe it until it's on the OS BBC news at 10
  • Options
    Labour chucked the towel in according To Nick Robinson........ as yet to be confirmed......
    Thought this might be the case as I posted this morning..... At least John Reed had the courage to come clean last night, Labour need to regroup and formulate there policies.....

So looks like a Con /Lib pact ..... BUT and that is the word BUT still may go it alone as a Tory goverment with a consensus with the Lib/Dem.....
    Looks over for Brown and his 'Khaki' alliance.....
  • Options

disagree. Not a fan or him or Labour but he played his last hand with the offer to Libs, lost and so has got up and walked away from the table. what else was he meant to do. just cave in on Friday morning. No politician would walk away while the game was still in the balance.

We shall also see how well the tory and Lib-dems parties stay united with each other and internally. Labour will have a knife fight of a leadership election and I fully expect a few rats to leave the sinking ship for the newly empowered lib-dems.

Interesting times.

Rats leaving ? Any names to offer ?
  • Options
    Can't see Labour biggies going to the Liberals myself. More likely that the Libs will split back into their liberal/social democrat factions. The Orange Book brigade will be well chuffed though.
  • Options
    no names, no pack drill

(= I have no idea)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]The way some folk are babbling about this, I think they believe there's been a military coup or some George Dubya style skullbuggery. There hasn't. What has occurred is properly in line with the democratic process as it was set out in law at the start of the election. Yes, it seems odd that a minority party can have so much bargaining power or that the party with the most seats don't form the government, but in a democracy you don't get to change the rules once an election is done, because the result didn't please you.

Odd that I've noticed that the people that are most hysterical about the demonic effect of PR tend to be those that are most concerned that the current result is somehow "unfair"

disagree morts it is amazing to me how the issue of pr is such an issue now after 13 years of the ability to change it without any real pressure from those that dont understand it, labour failed to give us its referendom on europe so they could have put this through eaily enough without much kick back.

seems to me the opposite of what you said, it wouldnt be an issue of pr if it was not for lab and lib supporters harping on about it, the only thing others are saying is

a what is it, is it fairer than what we have now.

b i dont see why it is needed now what has changed in this election for people to be so in favour of it now

me i hope it goes to referendom i hope that all info is put out there 1 agreed cross party statement what the options are how they work and what they mean

then allow us all to vote and the one with the most votes is the system adopted, i then hope that we will hear no more about it and we move on
  • Options
    Bye Bye Gordon
    Bye Bye Labour

Just watched BBC news - a bunch of jocks saying they don't want Tories running their country - ok, we'll leave you to it.

Let's hope the Co-alition means both the Tories and Lib Dems reign in their bizarre policies and they can govern with common sense.

HEAR HEAR!
  • Options
    Video explaining STV

NLA, in my opinion that's a terrible way to decide which electoral system is better, just like it's a terrible way to decide which candidate is MP. ;-)
  • Options
    have the Lib Dems got 6 MPs with the profile for cabinet? somehow I doubt it, especially after Evan Harris and Lembit Opik (who btw was very good on Have I Got News For You btw) have lost.

I voted Lib Dem to stop Osbourne being Chancellor. As long as Cable is put in over him I'll be happy, somehow I think Cameron will protect his chum though :(
  • Options
    mate i know fedge all thats what i know

if it wernt for others on here i wouldnt have a bloody scooby of what it all means
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]mate i know fedge all thats what i know

if it wernt for others on here i wouldnt have a bloody scooby of what it all means
    Sounds like you got all the qualities needed to be a politician...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]have the Lib Dems got 6 MPs with the profile for cabinet? somehow I doubt it, especially after Evan Harris and Lembit Opik (who btw was very good on Have I Got News For You btw) have lost.

I voted Lib Dem to stop Osbourne being Chancellor. As long as Cable is put in over him I'll be happy, somehow I think Cameron will protect his chum though :(

I hear a rumour it's Cable and Clarke in the Treasury (in whichever order), with Osborne moving to Business and Skills.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    so how many people total live in Wales ,NI and Scotland ? when the SNP can give it billyBigBollox yet only 490,000 people voted for em ?

Laugh im geting ready

as a % local Government in NI is 70% of workers ---in Scotalnd 58%--- in Wales over 50% --- in England its 38% oooooooooooooooooooooooooo dear well done Gordon and the Labour anti English mafia now when those cuts come and they will wont it be fun then !!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for all you rainbow alliance types if Labour had got in bythe back door with the SNP etc where do u think those cuts would have come then ?

England --------------its time to say bye bye and go it alone.
  • Options
    I think that Gordon Brown just delievered a fine speech and one of dignity and humility

good bye gordon no need for abuse from me you tried you failed in many peoples eyes but you gave it a go, enjoy your family i dont suppose you have seen much of your fine young lads growing up farewell