Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murray - Parkinson expected to stay, new team will be competitive

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
Nothing we didn't really know already or wasn't expected.

We'll have to make "one or two" sales. I Bailey will be one, then it'll depend on interest and how much we get for Bailey.

Sounds like they're aiming for the play-offs with hope of the top two. With the number of changes to the squad expected I'd say aiming for the top two would be too ambitious at the moment.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=18050&headline=Chairman
CHARLTON chairman Richard Murray expects Phil Parkinson to be the club’s manager next season.

The Addicks boss has a year to run on his current deal, but could face a tough summer as players are sold to balance the books at The Valley following their play-off semi-final defeat to Swindon earlier this week.

Influential winger Lloyd Sam is out of contract and expected to leave, while Nicky Bailey may well have played his last game for the club.

“Phil has still got a year left on his contract and I expect him to see it out,” said Murray.

“We will be running a much lower-budget squad next year than we’ve had this season. However, there are a number of players who haven’t played much but have been on decent wages, so that is something we can sort out.

“We’ve got 14 players out of contract and we have to decide which ones we want to keep. We will have to make one or two sales.

“We will attempt to put together a competitive squad which should give us a chance of being in the top six. I can’t promise the fans it will be a top-notch team which will see us storm to the title, but it will be competitive.”

Comments

• Options
    To be honest just getting rid of the big earners who didn't feature at all will be a huge help to finances. Tough times ahead but i just dont believe the rumours about Admin and statements like this, i believe, back that up.
  • Options
    Sorry...influential winger Lloyd Sam? who is he then?
  • Options
    dont believe the admin rumours wait until things happen i believe that this club is getting back to some form of stability albeit in the wrong league and that they will tell us what we need to know
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Sorry...influential winger Lloyd Sam? who is he then?

A lot may not like him here but there will be a lot of clubs lining up to sign him, especially on a free imo.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]Sorry...influential winger Lloyd Sam? who is he then?[/quote]

A lot may not like him here but there will be a lot of clubs lining up to sign him, especially on a free imo.[/quote]

I don't doubt it, no idea why. I dont dislike him just dont feel he does the business.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mentioned in another thread the 5 unwanted players could be on over £1m in total, just say-

Yassin £8k per week £400k+ per year - What he was rumoured to be on, before any "loyalty bonus"
    McLeod £4k £200k+ per year - Maybe on more to match the fee we paid, you don't pay over £1m for a player then pay him small wages
    Fleetwood £4k £200k+ per year - Have heard he'll have to drop his wages if Exeter were to sign him, that's what he was rumoured to be on
    Sinclair £4k £200k+ per year - Signed after relegation from the Prem, surely on decent money
    Dickson £2k £100k+ per year - Could be on more, did sign for an extra year start of last season

If our budget this year was £3m/£4m, getting rid of just those 5 players might cut a quarter of it. Unfortunately only two of those players are actually out of contract.
  • Options
    Flatters to decieve.....I know Murray is being honest, but the bit about aiming for the top six is a bit of a downer.....how the mighty have fallen eh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Mentioned in another thread the 5 unwanted players could be on £1m in total, just say-

Yassin £8k per week £400k+ per year - What he was rumoured to be on, before any "loyalty bonus"
    McLeod £4k £200k+ per year - Maybe on more to match the fee we paid, you don't pay over £1m for a player then pay him small wages
    Fleetwood £4k £200k+ per year - Have heard he'll have to drop his wages if Exeter were to sign him, that's what he was rumoured to be on
    Sinclair £4k £200k+ per year - Signed after relegation from the Prem, surely on decent money
    Dickson £2k - Could be on more, did sign for an extra year start of last season

If our budget this year was £3m/£4m, getting rid of just those 5 players might cut a quarter of it. Unfortunately only two of those players are actually out of contract.

And Waggott on 4k a week. Oh sorry, wrong thread.............
  • Options
    Yassin and Mcleod will be difficult to shift.

How longterm is Mcleod's injury? I can see him replacing Mckenzie in the Garry Poole Medical Suite.
  • Options
    gotta say i'll be astounded if we make the top 6 next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]gotta say i'll be astounded if we make the top 6 next season

you were saying that this season : - )
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]gotta say i'll be astounded if we make the top 6 next season[/quote]

Then this time last year we were saying the same thing, so you never know, it ain't a great league and all you need is to get on a run, oh and a few half decent players.
  • Options
    We might have no choice but to play some of those that we have chosen not to involve in the first team much or not at all this season - it would be pragmatic and I am ever optimistic that we will finally get our money's worth out of some of them!

I live in hope!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]gotta say i'll be astounded if we make the top 6 next season

Then this time last year we were saying the same thing, so you never know, it ain't a great league and all you need is to get on a run, oh and a few half decent players.

Next season league one should actually be a weaker league than this season. The 3 teams coming down are not as strong as Norwich, Leeds and Millwall (assuming they win the play offs). Swindon may well lose Austin or Paynter or both. Rochdale and Bournemouth won't be as up for games against us as Gillingham and Southend were. No one knows if Notts County actually have money or not these days.
    So barring Southampton who should stroll it and then Huddersfield who will be up there again, who is there next season?
  • Options
    I have been caught out by such spin in the past! Murray says the club is aiming for a top six finish because he's still got a load of season tickets to flog. I don't believe it. I think it is more likely that anyone they can get any sort of fee for will be sold to help repay the deficit. I can't wait to see who's still a Charlton player come the first game of the new season - that will tell us all we need to know about the club's ambitions for the coming season.

Parkinson's job will be to cobble some sort of squad together with what's left. I sincerely hope I am wrong about this by the way.
  • Options
    I've also forgotten McKenzie, hopefully we won't need to take a risk on someone like him again, and get players in earlier.

We might even just use Stavrinou in Spring's place, much cheaper and he'll be desperate to make it in the Football League.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I have been caught out by such spin in the past! Murray says the club is aiming for a top six finish because he's still got a load of season tickets to flog. I don't believe it. I think it is more likely that anyone they can get any sort of fee for will be sold to help repay the deficit. I can't wait to see who's still a Charlton player come the first game of the new season - that will tell us all we need to know about the club's ambitions for the coming season.

Parkinson's job will be to cobble some sort of squad together with what's left. I sincerely hope I am wrong about this by the way.

How can you slag off Murray based on what YOU think will happen, when nothing has actually happened yet???
  • Options
    Brighton will do well too Chris, think they have quite a bit to spend now.
  • Options
    Sinclair might be one we look to keep. Experience at the lower leagues and worth a shot seeing as Semedo, Bailey and Racon may all leave.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I have been caught out by such spin in the past! Murray says the club is aiming for a top six finish because he's still got a load of season tickets to flog. I don't believe it. I think it is more likely that anyone they can get any sort of fee for will be sold to help repay the deficit. I can't wait to see who's still a Charlton player come the first game of the new season - that will tell us all we need to know about the club's ambitions for the coming season.

How can you slag off Murray based on what YOU think will happen, when nothing has actually happened yet???
    People said the same this time last year, and the board put £7m into the club. Let's wait and see, they know it'll be impossible replacing an entire starting 11, so hopefully we won't sell too many players. They might even finally find that Arab billionaire...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]

I have great admiration for Mr Murray - I realise that he has pumped millions of pounds into this club, with little hope of any return (especially now). But he's a businessman as well as a Charlton supporter and I don't blame him for talking up our prospects for next season. However, it is my opinion (and only an opinion as you rightly point out), that this is spin.

Also, how do you know that nothing has actually happened?!
  • Options
    Murray said the target he set Parkinson at the start of this season was for the top 2. We missed that, with the second highest wage budget in the league. Now he says our target for next year is to be within a chance of finishing top 6...managing expectations I guess. My guess is we will miss his target for the 5th season in a row.
  • Options
    All Murray wants now is out and who can blame him, he has invested millions of his own money which he will not get back; and he has overseen one of the greatest rises in our history and also in our most rapid and potentially disasterous decline ever. A sure sign of changing times is that Parky can remain with one year left on his contract, while just four years ago, Murray stated that Curbs would have to go because he only had one year left and would not sign an extension and therefore they could not plan for the future.
  • Options
    “We will attempt to put together a competitive squad which should give us a chance of being in the top six. I can’t promise the fans it will be a top-notch team which will see us storm to the title, but it will be competitive.”
    Well, there's the undercoat on for next seaon...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]All Murray wants now is out and who can blame him, he has invested millions of his own money which he will not get back; and he has overseen one of the greatest rises in our history and also in our most rapid and potentially disasterous decline ever. A sure sign of changing times is that Parky can remain with one year left on his contract, while just four years ago, Murray stated that Curbs would have to go because he only had one year left and would not sign an extension and therefore they could not plan for the future.
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=34636
    Large brought that up here. As I said in there, I think it's a different situation. You don't find many League One and Two sides with no money handing out long contracts. Not ideal, but the way it has to be done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    Well, there's the undercoat on for next seaon...

I'm not buying one more fecking ticket unless we are going to "storm to the title" (joke).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Next season league one should actually be a weaker league than this season. The 3 teams coming down are not as strong as Norwich, Leeds and Millwall (assuming they win the play offs). Swindon may well lose Austin or Paynter or both. Rochdale and Bournemouth won't be as up for games against us as Gillingham and Southend were. No one knows if Notts County actually have money or not these days.

So barring Southampton who should stroll it and then Huddersfield who will be up there again, who is there next season?

I wouldn't write off Sheffield Wednesday or Plymouth Argyle.

Sheff Weds have at least the infrastructure and fanbase of a Norwich or Leeds, once they put a successful run together.
    In next season's League One, they'll be a club at least as big as Southampton.

Plymouth Argyle can draw near 20,000 capacity crowds when they are doing well.
    People seem to think Argyle are similar to Exeter, Torquay and Yeovil ...... but they are a decent size city club.
    Championship comparison size club would be Bristol City.

In League One next year, I'd consider them similar to Huddersfield Town.

Next season, I'd consider both clubs to be top 6 contenders.
  • Options
    Peterboro will be no mugs with Johnson in charge, expect them to do well
    Huddersfield and the loser from the final will be strong
    Plymouth, Wednesday and Saints are obvious favourites
    There will always be a surprise, this year it has been Swindon, I reckon Brighton with Poyet in charge and decent backing or Brentford who have been very solid this season and in many seasons would not have been far from play offs.
  • Options
    Wouldn't write of a surprise team doing well, nor can you be sure MK Dons, Colchester etc won't improve their squad and be up there.

Might not be so close between 2nd and 6th, though that might not be a good thing if a couple of teams run away with it.

Then there's always the chance a club will be taken over and spend big money for the league like Southampton. A lot can change in a few months.
  • Options
    It'll still be a strong and competitive league.

But if the team knits together and we make a decent start, then we have as good a chance as any.
    Especially if we find that elusive natural goalscorer.