Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Murray - Parkinson expected to stay, new team will be competitive

Comments

• Options
    can't truly judge until we get to the beginning of september or when the window is shut and who we have left ....
    cos last year i thought there were gonna be bigger changes than there were (the directors putting in £7m put a stop to that) and thought we'd end up mid table
    but on the basis we wont hang on to what we have i think mid table is where we will finish if we hold onto the majority then play offs will be a chance
    who knows but come the beginning of the season i'll be able to give you all a more accurate and more than likely correct implication as to where we will finish!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]......... i'll be able to give you all a more accurate and more than likely correct implication as to where we will finish!

How about:
    At the moment, we have 0% chance of automatics, 10% chance of playoffs, 80% chance of midtable mediocrity,
    10% chance of relegation (Waggy top scorer with 5 goals).

;o)
  • Options
    Yassin £8k per week £400k+ per year - What he was rumoured to be on, before any "loyalty bonus"
    McLeod £4k £200k+ per year - Maybe on more to match the fee we paid, you don't pay over £1m for a player then pay him small wages
    Fleetwood £4k £200k+ per year - Have heard he'll have to drop his wages if Exeter were to sign him, that's what he was rumoured to be on
    Sinclair £4k £200k+ per year - Signed after relegation from the Prem, surely on decent money
    Dickson £2k - Could be on more, did sign for an extra year start of last season

How longterm is Mcleod's injury? I can see him replacing Mckenzie in the Garry Poole Medical Suite.......

If this was not so sad....... it would be the basis of a sitcom/farce......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]If this was not so sad....... it would be the basis of a sitcom/farce......

Surely in the East Stand it would be the basis of a SIDDARN farce .......?
  • Options
    I reckon if we lose Burton wages £3 or 6k then thats more off the bill.

Sam must be on £4-5k from the Prem

McKenzie would've been on a decent wage for a free and he'll be gone

McLeod will be easier to move than Yassin, Peterborugh, Colchester and Millwall have all given him a chance recent seasons so someone will again though I think it might be worthwhile keeping him if we don't sign any other strikers

Doesn't Murray have an account on here?
  • Options
    At the end of the day, the Chairman, manager etc etc have to manage expectations. Those are set out here and at this stage of the year, it is quite early to be predicting anything, but in what he has said, I do believe that the club have already drawn out an outline plan of what needs to happen in order to produce a squad with some competition within it that will be making a challenge rather than fight relegation. If there was stone cold silence, I'd have feared the latter, but this gives me some hope. I was sceptical at this stage last year, but look what Parky pieced together and did in the end. We had a real go and that is what I was hoping for. When Swindon signed Paynter and Austin for small fees/frees, I suspect many a Swindon fan went "who?". Look what they did in a settled and well organised team. Have a little faith and hope!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]Look what they did in a settled and well organised team. Have a little faith and hope!

Any coincidence that our own best runs of form throughout the season - were the times
    when we had a settled and organised team?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]I reckon if we lose Burton wages £3 or 6k then thats more off the bill.

Sam must be on £4-5k from the Prem

McKenzie would've been on a decent wage for a free and he'll be gone

McLeod will be easier to move than Yassin, Peterborugh, Colchester and Millwall have all given him a chance recent seasons so someone will again though I think it might be worthwhile keeping him if we don't sign any other strikers

Doesn't Murray have an account on here?

Don't forget we've got half of the Liverpool reserve team coming here on loan - all part of the Jonjo deal.

Perhaps Parky can pick who he wants when we play Liverpool in a pre-season friendly at The Valley.

;o)
  • Options
    I for one was pleased to see that statement.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but at the same time, it would have been easy to simply repeat what has been said many, many times, namely that promotion was "imperative" and now that that has failed, "there will be significant turnover in the interests of lowering the wage bill, but we are confident that we will be able to unearth, blah, blah, blah" -- translation, things are terrible, but we'll figure out a way to compete...

I didn't read him as saying that, and I read that statement as reassurance that all is not lost, rather than simply trying to move season tickets.

Fingers crossed...
  • Options
    It's probably the best we can expect him to say, there will be lot of churn at the club this summer, with a but of luck we can pick a few decent free transfers.

Although I am not totally convinced by him, Parkinson did pretty decently this year all things considered, especially with a few of his signings like daily and Richardson.

This year will be the real test for him though as the club cuts its cloth to suit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At Keith peacocks golf day today Parky was asked if he would still be in charge next season and he said yes

I was also told we hope to use the tie ins with Liverpool and Man Utd next season as both clubs have kids they want getting experience and games next year.
  • Options
    I think Murray is about as positive as he can be. We all expect a clear out and reading Murray's comments, maybe it won't be as drastic as many of us believed.

I didn't know about a Man Utd tie in. Is this to do with the McGinty deal? Are they both going to play friendlies at The Valley?
  • Options
    Parky will be here next season, as the club doesn't have the money to sack him. The only reason he won't be here is someone comes in for him or we get taken over and the new owners bring their own man in.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Parky will be here next season, as the club doesn't have the money to sack him. The only reason he won't be here is someone comes in for him or we get taken over and the new owners bring their own man in.
    or maybe like many of us they feel he done a decent job this season and want him to stay.
  • Options
    let's see how parky gets on with a budget more in line with the rest of the division next year , he got us relegated with ease which was a monster failure , he failed to get us promoted which to me is another failure maybe third time lucky!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Parky will be here next season, as the club doesn't have the money to sack him. The only reason he won't be here is someone comes in for him or we get taken over and the new owners bring their own man in.

or maybe like many of us they feel he done a decent job this season and want him to stay.

This. The board seemed pretty happy with him and his team yesterday.

I can confirm that Parky was working hard yesterday and last night trying to sort out some of the contracts as he kept coming over to talk to the powers that be who happened to be on my table. I couldn't hear anything but some of the facial expressions weren't hugely encouraging.

I guess we just have to sit tight and wait
  • Options
    I actually admire Parkinson now. Originally, I thought he was hopeless. However, the financial problems have become more obvious and seeing his ability to find decent players on loans or free transfers is good.

And before we hear about him having a high wage budget and underachieving - yes that's true but remember a large proportion of that budget was on a load of rubbish he couldn't get rid of due to long contracts.

He's doing ok.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]However, the financial problems have become more obvious and seeing his ability to find decent players on loans or free transfers is good.

they were coming to us cos we had decent wages to offer , the keeper warner was set to go to millwall but we put more money down and we all know burton was offered double/treble what he was about to get elsewhere and i'm sure dailly was a decent whack

next year with a proper budget will be the test for parky cos so far he's failed imo most managers could have got us to this position in time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Screamer[/cite]I actually admire Parkinson now. Originally, I thought he was hopeless. However, the financial problems have become more obvious and seeing his ability to find decent players on loans or free transfers is good.

And before we hear about him having a high wage budget and underachieving - yes that's true but remember a large proportion of that budget was on a load of rubbish he couldn't get rid of due to long contracts.

He's doing ok.

I'd second that. He obviously got an eye for a player at this level and hopefully as the old Pardew contracts get wound down he can build a team on a decent budget.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]

I can confirm that Parky was working hard yesterday and last night trying to sort out some of the contracts as he kept coming over to talk to the powers that be who happened to be on my table. I couldn't hear anything but some of the facial expressions weren't hugely encouraging.

Not a geordie smile then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lets just get behind him ,you cant polish shit ,and to be fair i didnt think he was good enough for us ,but on reflection we havent bought a plater for 18 mounths or so ,i think next season will be the crunch
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]At Keith peacocks golf day today Parky was asked if he would still be in charge next season and he said yes

I was also told we hope to use the tie ins with Liverpool and Man Utd next season as both clubs have kids they want getting experience and games next year.

Rooney and Valencia will do!

I know it may be a bit early to say but which teams do you expect to compete for promotion next season in League One? I'd go for Southampton, Peterborough, Brighton, Huddersfield, Swindon, Charlton, Colchester, Bristol Rovers and Wednesday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]At Keith peacocks golf day today Parky was asked if he would still be in charge next season and he said yes

Rooney and Valencia will do!

I know it may be a bit early to say but which teams do you expect to compete for promotion next season in League One? I'd go for Southampton, Peterborough, Brighton, Huddersfield, Swindon, Charlton, Colchester, Bristol Rovers and Wednesday

Seems we all think Millwall winning at Wembley is a done deal then ?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]let's see how parky gets on with a budget more in line with the rest of the division next year , he got us relegated with ease which was a monster failure , he failed to get us promoted which to me is another failure maybe third time lucky!

spot on !!

That statement by RM is not a particularly good read but I'm pleased he is being honest. A competitive squad that MAY give us a chance of a top six finish. Not WILL give us a chance but MAY give us a chance. I expect a top ten finish, nothing more.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No one seems to be mentioning any of the teams that are coming up from league 2 as promotion contenders, Notts County could be there or there abouts, we have seen this year that if you have a striker that can score 20 plus goals you are in with a chance and Notts County have Lee Hughes.

I know a lot of people on here despise the bloke because of what he done but it has not stopped him scoring for fun this year and I can see it continuing next saeson.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]No one seems to be mentioning any of the teams that are coming up from league 2 as promotion contenders, Notts County could be there or there abouts, we have seen this year that if you have a striker that can score 20 plus goals you are in with a chance and Notts County have Lee Hughes.

I know a lot of people on here despise the bloke because of what he done but it has not stopped him scoring for fun this year and I can see it continuing next saeson.
    True, a few teams have gone from League Two to the Championship. Peterborough for one and that was probably a bit unexpected.
  • Options
    Notts County need to sell pretty much everyone to stay out of admin don't they?

I can see there team being alot different to the one which got promoted.
  • Options
    MK Dons will be competitive again I reckon.
  • Options
    see Huddersfield are set to pay 400k on a Scottish midfielder from Falkirk, something we can only dream of.
  • Options
    Parky did well in the market last year with no money. He now knows what he has to do in terms of the payroll & the selling fees and it's up to him to make the best fist of it so he doesn't have to sell the likes of Semedo.

Bailey, Racon etc. need to go to clubs where we can leverage some loans / cheap / free buys to keep the squad solid.

You'll get a better deal doing a part exchange!