Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National Anthem and Cardiff

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And I'm South London, English, British and European and proud of each.

hear hear!
  • Options
    I think if they want the Welsh national anthem sung then they should play in the welsh league. Their a welsh club who play in the english league so make some sacrifices or go and play Airbus UK every week.
  • Options
    Why are they even playing national anthems in the first place ?

And if they play GSTQ then that's the British national anthem, a point which seems to have escaped some of the ignorant posts on this thread. GTSQ is for England, Scotland, Wales and NI so Cardiff should have no problem singing it.
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Question to you - are you English, British or European ?

I'm Charlton !
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    se9addick...thats the whole point, it has just become trendy to ignore this fact. Maybe they are pissed off because the british flag does not show them to be part of the union.
  • Options
    English not British im English. Next time i Sign a form that asks Nationalilty i might sign other and put English for giggles :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Maybe they are pissed off because the british flag does not show them to be part of the union.

Maybe they just enjoy moaning, they are British after all !!

[cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]English not British im English.

The irony of this comment...
  • Options
    National anthems make me sick. What is the point of them other than to try and provoke people of different nationalities? They don't play a national anthem before pop concerts or West End musicals, why the hell should they play one before football matches?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]National anthems make me sick. What is the point of them other than to try and provoke people of different nationalities? They don't play a national anthem before pop concerts or West End musicals, why the hell should they play one before football matches?

I thought/hoped you and your wind ups had gone away.

Shame
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]National anthems make me sick. What is the point of them other than to try and provoke people of different nationalities? They don't play a national anthem before pop concerts or West End musicals, why the hell should they play one before football matches?

I thought/hoped you and your wind ups had gone away.

Shame

If I went away, you'd have to find someone else to relentlessly follow around the forum all day, accusing of being on a wind-up becuase they happen to hold a different view to your own, something you're too blinkered to even countenance as a possibility. Please explain to me, as I am quite clearly stupid, why it is necessary to sing a national anthem at a football play-off game?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Maybe they are pissed off because the british flag does not show them to be part of the union.

Maybe they just enjoy moaning, they are British after all !!

LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    F+H im sure the FA will be able to expalin why. However as far as i can see its about pride and representation of your country which to me has always been England Not Britain England. If the Cadiff fans what to represt Wales just let them sing whatever slurrr is the Welsh National anthem :-)
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-th9f9UccQ
    As Hendrix said at the IOW in 1970. to the biggest concert crowd still to date in the UK
    'Stand up for your country, and your brother and start singing, if you dont Fuck yer!'.....
  • Options
    F&H.....not so many years ago they used to play the national anthem after every west end show, and I can remember in the fifties it was played in every cinema at the end of the film...plus if you didnt stand up and appear nationalistic a multitude of condeming eyes would be upon you...

I wonder why we sing VFR...maybe its because we want others to know we are proud to be a part of our club.
  • Options
    I can remember the national anthem being played at the end of films even when I was a kid at the Odeon & ABC Woolwich
  • Options
    'why it is necessary to sing a national anthem at a football play-off game? '

Why is it necessary to sing VFR at a charlton game?
  • Options
    National anthems make you "sick" but it's not a wind up?

The only other option is that you are an idiot but your wind ups are too well written for that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]National anthems make you "sick" but it's not a wind up?

Have you read the lyrics of many national anthems? The vast majority glorify past conflicts and slaying enemies, where 'enemy' equals anyone who doesn't happen to be of the nationality of the anthem in question. I find that quite sick, but maybe that's just me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]National anthems make you "sick" but it's not a wind up?

Have you read the lyrics of many national anthems? The vast majority glorify past conflicts and slaying enemies, where 'enemy' equals anyone who doesn't happen to be of the nationality of the anthem in question. I find that quite sick, but maybe that's just me.

Word of advice. You come in too high and so blow the wind up straight away. Bit like overplaying your hand in poker.

Two attempts at wind ups today and both were outed as such straight away which means you went to all that effort (not so much here but the "should Charlton go part time" one must have taken you ages) for nothing really.

Now if you had just said at first "I don't know why we have national anthems at football matches" you could have kept it going for ages. You could have added the nonsense about "slaying enemies" a lot later and it would have worked better (many national anthems don't have lyrics at all and most of the others have been toned down a lot in recent years but that doesn't really matter).

Also try posting some "normal" comments as well sometime as if you only ever post wind ups everyone who knows you knows it has to be a wind up straight away.

Any way, nice to chat, TTFN.
  • Options
    No national anthem today...
  • Options
    The Dutch are still wondering why they have to sing "We are Germans" in the second verse of their national anthem lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fucking discraceful!

They are "accepted" into our leagues then change a tradition..

Reminds we of a certain imigration policy..
  • Options
    Many thanks for the useful advice Henry. If at some point I ever feel the need to do a wind-up, it's nice to have received a tutorial from one of the best, thank you. Incidentally, only THREE national anthems of recognised countries don't have officially recognised lyrics (this from a total of 195 countries in the world), although all three have 'unofficial' lyrics. They countries are Spain, Bosnia-Hercegovina and San Marino. There are also some territories/disputed regions (not officially recognised countries) whose anthems don't have lyrics, such as Abu Dhabi (part of the UAE), Kosovo (an autonomous region of Serbia) and the Basque Country (part of Spain and France). Feel free to ask if you'd like to know any more. *hugs*
  • Options
    ha ha,

you went away and looked that up and felt the need to respond.

Haven't you got it yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Think you may be looking into this a bit too much F+H point is national anthems and football games at Wembley have come hand in hand since the beginginof the football league. It is a statement of pride between the two sides, before they kickoff they join forces to sing the national anthem as one. Have you ever been at Wembley (the old on because the new one lacks the same atmos as the old one) when GSTQ is being sung it is a porud moment and if you havn't i find it hard to see were you would form an opinion from.

In relation to Cardiff why they (the FA) have just bent over and let them have their way i dont know. They are not english i know but they play in the english league so conform or go to the Welsh Prem and play Airbus UK instead of Blackpool.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]Many thanks for the useful advice Henry. If at some point I ever feel the need to do a wind-up, it's nice to have received a tutorial from one of the best, thank you. Incidentally, only THREE national anthems of recognised countries don't have officially recognised lyrics (this from a total of 195 countries in the world), although all three have 'unofficial' lyrics. They countries are Spain, Bosnia-Hercegovina and San Marino. There are also some territories/disputed regions (not officially recognised countries) whose anthems don't have lyrics, such as Abu Dhabi (part of the UAE), Kosovo (an autonomous region of Serbia) and the Basque Country (part of Spain and France). Feel free to ask if you'd like to know any more. *hugs*

I thought Palace wern't supposed to care about Charlton? Yet you have gone to all this effort over the years.
  • Options
    2-2. Very good game. Maybe shaping up as the greatest Play-off Final since.......................
    Ahh......memories, memories.
    Come on the Satsumas.
  • Options
    Holy Cow: 3-2 now and not even half time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]ha ha,

you went away and looked that up and felt the need to respond.

Haven't you got it yet?

A little knowledge goes a long way, Henry.

Speaking of long, the longest national anthem is Greece's, which has 158 verses!

That's your last one for today, I'm worried your head might explode x
  • Options
    PMSL

You really haven't got it, have you? Missed it completely it seems.

So funny.
  • Options
    Were there really no anthems ?