Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rosettes & Rattles

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
Rosettes & Rattles have disappeared from football grounds completely, what else has gone from when you first started going?

We used to have a huge rattle painted red and white, it took two hands to turn it!

I got hit over the head by an old lady Gillingham fan in Church Lane once, that hurt!

Remember the rosettes that had a little silver FA Cup in the middle?

Comments

• Options
    Backpasses and Wagon Wheels !
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Peanuts
  • Options
    The halftime scoreboard
  • Options
    Charlton being sh...

oh wait, we've gone full circle ;-)
  • Options
    Not having a big screen or scoreboard.

Not having squad numbers.

More substitutes, 5, now 7.
  • Options
    The team printed in the match programme was usually the one that played!

Lobbing bog-rolls on the pitch when we scored.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    When did the handheld signs get replaced by the electric display for substitutes... that must be well over a decade now?
  • Options
    Proper hooligans
  • Options
    posted by Scoham in diffrent thread;
    pretty much all this has gone!: Music is soppy but great video.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5621451409608521680#
  • Options
    The Saturday night classified
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobble hats and air horns.
  • Options
    Terraces

Atmosphere

Players who stick around long enough to become synonymous with a club

The witty old timer who used to sit behind me when I first got a season ticket and amuse me by shouting "feed him some carrots, ref" and other such wisdom at opponents and our own players. Now sadly replaced by humourless loud mouths who just shout "w@nker" and "you're fu**ing sh*t!". Not funny or clever.
  • Options
    The vidiprinter on Final Score - sadly never got to see us score enough goals in one match for the score to warrant being shown with the score in words as well as numbers to confirm it wasn't a mistake, i.e. Charlton 8 (eight) Millwall 0.
  • Options
    air horns had one of those lol

should get these back but im sure there is some PC, EU or Health & Saftey thing that says we cant
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Backpasses and Wagon Wheels !

You're missing out, i still buy wagon wheels these days
  • Options
    Linesmen.
  • Options
    Spectators walking along the mid-terrace gangway from one end of the ground to the other at half time in order to stand behind the goal their team was attacking, and without needing to be segregated from supporters of the other team.

Clouds of cigarette smoke over the East Terrace.

Lots of spectators wearing jackets and ties.

Players striving for a £2 win bonus.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sevensix[/cite] Clouds of cigarette smoke over the East Terrace.

We get them on the north stand concourse now instead.
  • Options
    Referees in baggy shorts.
    Home games on Friday nights in the 1970's.
    Colin Powell talking to supporters at the bottom of the east terrace while waiting for the kick off.
    Goalkeepers wearing an old cloth cap when the sun was out.
  • Options
    Souvenir lunchtime saturday editions of the evening standard and evening news with all the pictures.

Classified papers you got on the way home

Inside lefts and inside rights

Goalkeepers only wearing gloves when it rained.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rivers of piss running down the terraces!

Monkey nuts

Fences
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]The witty old timer who used to sit behind me when I first got a season ticket and amuse me by shouting "feed him some carrots, ref" and other such wisdom at opponents and our own players. Now sadly replaced by humourless loud mouths who just shout "w@nker" and "you're fu**ing sh*t!". Not funny or clever.[/quote]That's a great one.
  • Options
    Players signing a recognisable signature in your autograph book

"Peanuts, tanner a bag - six a bag of nuts" :0)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Shorts that were called 'knickers'
    Short shorts
    Long shorts
    People throwing hats in the air when a goal was scored in a FA Cup Final (oh no, that was before my time)
    Substitutions only because a player was injured
    Referees only wearing black
    Goalkeepers always wearing green (except against Plymouth)
    The chant of 2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate - C-h-a-r-l-t-o-n
  • Options
    Linesmens flags being "cerise" and "amber"

The football league review in the middle of the programme

The A-Z halftime board

Lawrie Maddens penalties
  • Options
    BBC cameras in the middle of the east terrace and everyone singing 'Jimmy Hill's a wanker' then stopping up late to hear it on the telly...
  • Options
    I searched Charlton Life to find out what happened to rattles. I recall as a nipper getting one for Christmas and lovingly painting it (badly) red and white. This thread was the nearest thing but where did they go?
  • Options
    I think that backpasses are definitely back. Watching the Euros I've never seen so many. I'm sure when I was a kid a backpass was an occasional joy performed only by flashy forwards and tricky wingers. Now it seems not only de rigueur amongst the exceptionally talented, but standard practice all over the pitch. I'm sure that in the past any defender doing a back pass in their own box would have got a blocking so loud, that their ears would still be ringing now. But today it's treated as a good way of retaining possession. I guess that (at Euro level at least) overall ball control is so much better these days.

What has disappeared is panicky 'get rid of it' defending.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I think that backpasses are definitely back. Watching the Euros I've never seen so many. I'm sure when I was a kid a backpass was an occasional joy performed only by flashy forwards and tricky wingers. Now it seems not only de rigueur amongst the exceptionally talented, but standard practice all over the pitch. I'm sure that in the past any defender doing a back pass in their own box would have got a blocking so loud, that their ears would still be ringing now. But today it's treated as a good way of retaining possession. I guess that (at Euro level at least) overall ball control is so much better these days.

What has disappeared is panicky 'get rid of it' defending.
    Are you confusing back heels with a back pass that the keeper can not pick up?
  • Options
    I searched Charlton Life to find out what happened to rattles. I recall as a nipper getting one for Christmas and lovingly painting it (badly) red and white. This thread was the nearest thing but where did they go?
    We have lots of both rosettes and rattles in the museum and always want more.