Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rosettes & Rattles

2»

Comments

• Options
    I searched Charlton Life to find out what happened to rattles. I recall as a nipper getting one for Christmas and lovingly painting it (badly) red and white. This thread was the nearest thing but where did they go?
    They were banned by virtue of the fact that had become a handy tool for hooligans
  • Options
    I searched Charlton Life to find out what happened to rattles. I recall as a nipper getting one for Christmas and lovingly painting it (badly) red and white. This thread was the nearest thing but where did they go?
    They were banned by virtue of the fact that had become a handy tool for hooligans
     ... and replaced by the hammer/knife/bottle etc.

Now we have the more eco-friendly tweet as the main weapon.
  • Options
    I took a friend's WW2 gas rattle to the Sheff Wed game we needed to win to have a chance of staying in the Premiership.  It was very loud but didn't help us win.
  • Options
    Originally made as crow scarers.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    My mother threw mine away after I left home, I didn’t talk to her for a month.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Acab said:
    She probably felt sorry for the crows 
  • Options
    'peanuts' (monkey nuts) sold on the terrace, hot chestnuts sold outside ground, fake crowd noise as team came out (fortunately only an embarrassing episode for a short while), taking of the home end, surges, ski hats, cigar and other smoke whilst watching game  
  • Options
    Flat caps and ladies wearing hats. 

Went to the museum today and saw a fabulous photo of part of the crowd on the east terrace in the 1920’s every man had a flat cap on.
  • Options

Went to the museum today and saw a fabulous photo of part of the crowd on the east terrace in the 1920’s every man had a flat cap on.
    When a team scored in a big game, they used to throw their caps in the air. I guess it was a forerunner of people chucking beer in the air when England score. I fall between these two stools. I never owned a flat cap and never saw the need to waste good beer.

• Options

When a team scored in a big game, they used to throw their caps in the air. I guess it was a forerunner of people chucking beer in the air when England score. I fall between these two stools. I never owned a flat cap and never saw the need to waste good beer.

Unless you are unfortunate enough to find yourself drinking in xbars. 
    Throwing the beer they serve in there is probably better than having to drink it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    limeygent said:
    Acab said:
    She probably felt sorry for the crows 
    Maybe, but why did she throw out my Dinky Toys, too.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    The vidiprinter on Final Score - sadly never got to see us score enough goals in one match for the score to warrant being shown with the score in words as well as numbers to confirm it wasn't a mistake, i.e. Charlton 8 (eight) Millwall 0.
    No but we were close to it in print.   Aston Villa 11 (eleven) Charlton Athletic 1
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    MrLargo said:
    The vidiprinter on Final Score - sadly never got to see us score enough goals in one match for the score to warrant being shown with the score in words as well as numbers to confirm it wasn't a mistake, i.e. Charlton 8 (eight) Millwall 0.

These days its more like Charlton 1(one) - Accrington 1
  • Options
    Love that

• Options
    Not seen a collection like that since walking up Wembley way with @Davestorry and @Redmidland 😉
  • Options
    Rattles? I was glad to see the back of them, fecking annoying and pointless things.
  • Options
    Rosettes were a good way to show your allegiance, albeit they tended to fall apart rather quickly. Cheap and cheerful.
    Scarvess sort of took over that role.
    Nowadays we all wear hideously overpriced replica kit