Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Moral Maze - fat dogs and fat kids

Comments

• Options
    I was 22 when my eldest was born, poncing off the council never entered my mind. Your right Ket, all they think about is how much they can get for nothing, Lazy buggers. I'm glad I am still young and healthy enough to run around the park with them and take them both on bike rides over the park.

I became more responsible over night when the kids came along.....You need to if you want them to know the value of money and respect people.

Going back to the fat comment's and fat people are more loving, what a load of sh*t. Old wives tale.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I didn't think to mention this yesterday.

One of my relations is a teenage girl and she is extremely finicky about food.

If she eats at all she will eat "junk" food.

Do her parents risk her developing full blown anorexia or accept that she is at least getting some vitamins etc via junk food even if it is not the best option?

I suspect with the pressure on teenage girls in particular to be slim via the magazines that they read my relation is one of many similar girls.
  • Options
    Len, when I was served lunch/dinner whatever, I sat there until it was finished. There was no choice. My youngest one (nearly 18 now) is fussy and the missus and I have had many a barny about making him eat stuff over the years. Now I make what I fancy and if he doesn't want it he has to go OUT and get himself something with his own money or go hungry.

Lock her in a room and let her out when she's eaten it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Len, when I was served lunch/dinner whatever, I sat there until it was finished. There was no choice. My youngest one (nearly 18 now) is fussy and the missus and I have had many a barny about making him eat stuff over the years. Now I make what I fancy and if he doesn't want it he has to go OUT and get himself something with his own money or go hungry.

Lock her in a room and let her out when she's eaten it.

Not my child so I have no say in it!

When I was young you cleaned your plate because if you left anything you got it served at the next mealtime and the one after etc.

I think as someone posted above these days, with both parents working or a single parent working, in so many households there simply isn't the time to engage in the necessary battle of wills. As a result food fads get worse and can eventually take over.
  • Options
    As a child I too used to play dawn til dusk, cricket in the summer, football in the winter. My gang's team would play against other gangs in the area and after the game if we weren't fully worn out we probably have a huge scrap to get rid of any excess energy. In teenage years it was football training or playing three times a week plus swimming and a couple of cross country runs, how pleased I am to this day that I still enjoy running at 45.

The first processed food I remember was a Vesta Curry, only because my mum didn't know how to make a decent one (not that Vesta was quality mind you) the rest of the time is was in the main meat and two veg and if we didn't have enough to fill us up or there wasn't enough to go round you topped up on bread. Can often recall getting to the end of the week before family pay day and having tinned fruit with bread as the meal. There were no fast food outlets and no edge of town mega spaced supermarkets to be filled

Which brings me to me point.... a huge amount of the problems involving diet stem from government policy allowing the proliferation of Hypermarkets and fast food outlets. They dominate too many towns, are ugly eyesores and line their own fat pockets whilst at the same time providing a poor diet for a great many. Backed up by underhand marketing no wonder we have a diabetes crisis at hand

It is already been said that there is idleness in food preparation, all to easy to pick up a ready meal full of trans fats, hydrogenated fats, salt, sugars etc. for a huge price when compared to say pasta with a home made sauce or a jacket potato with tuna.

In my pharmacy I offer lifestyle advice to help prevent heart disease and diabetes or help those who have developed those conditions, believe me the principle of 3 regular balanced meals, 5 fruit and veg and a daily walk are recurring goals which to a great many are simply beyond their current comprehension.

Diabetes is a huge time bomb I encourage you all to keep your waist below 36 for men, 32 for women and if you are 6ft for a man a weight no more 13 stone and 5ft 7 for a lady no more than 10 1/2 stone. Diabetes brings increased risk of heart attack and stroke plus loss of kidney function, loss of limbs and sight. If you smoke on top then you are a walking time bomb.

Policy makers are looking now at whether those who do not heed healthy lifetstyle choices should have free unlimited access to the NHS it will happen I feel sure that those who have chosen not to take on board the advice will have to pay for their healthcare management
  • Options
    Can I add my usual point on this, that BMI is rubbish, and by BMI nearly every player in the Guiness Premiership would be obese.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Can I add my usual point on this, that BMI is rubbish

thats a bit harsh, ive flown with them before and they were fine
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite] and line their own fat pockets whilst at the same time providing a poor diet for a great many. Backed up by underhand marketing no wonder we have a diabetes crisis at hand

Thats the best point so far on this otherwise (again) excellent debate thread. Nice one Lats
  • Options
    blimey latimer, i have just read that whilst eating my very boring lunch of steamed veggies and plain cooked chicken.... in an attempt to get my waistline below 32.

Interesting read tho thanks.
  • Options
    I now follow the yellow brick road by avoiding fast foods and drugs and rock n roll, eating fresh fruit and veggies and undertake regular exercise on my bicycle - bicycle, but of those that choose not to follow should ultimately die before they get old. Isnt this one of mother nature's other ways of reducing the population (rate) - Alright now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start riding 20 miles a day, so I'll slob now, and get it back in a few weeks.

Instead of carbon trading, I think of it, as lard trading
  • Options
    i did feel a bit guilty last night reading this 'unhealthy kids of today' thread, sitting on my computer having just ate a microwave ready meal.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Can I add my usual point on this, that BMI is rubbish, and by BMI nearly every player in the Guiness Premiership would be obese.

The reason it is rubbish is the same reason people who start on exercise regimes do not always lose weight. Muscle is denser than fat.
  • Options
    Can I add my usual point on this, that BMI is rubbish, and by BMI nearly every player in the Guiness Premiership would be obese.

Rothko I agree in isolation it is a poor indicator but when taken into context of body fat %, waist measurement, exercise activity, diet, smoking blood pressure and fasting glucose all these together can give a reasonably good indication of possibly early death or cardio vascular disease risk. Besides the fir rugby player we also have the french paradox (low heart attacks but smoke loads of Gauloise), mediterranean and japanese diets etc

At the end of the day if you CHOOSE to smoke 20 fags a day, CHOOSE after being given advice to eat poorly, take no exercise, drink 30 pints a week then you are likely to be on track for an early death. Many quote the people like my grandad who smoked until he was 80 and died at 86, they are the exception, we don't hear about those who as per the risk die early. It is almost a triumph for some people to develop diabetes, (I must stress here that this is not the diabetes developed often in younger people that requires insulin) it really does beggar belief.

And I note that Lloyds are promoting blood glucose testing kits at less than £10...big deal only when you then discover it costs the NHS £25 for a pot of testing strips (that is you and me tax payer) people with type 2 diabetes do not need to test their blood glucose regularly unless unwell, there is nothing they can do with the result unlike an insulin user who can adjust their dose. The GP surgery does a test that suffices and demonstrates good control... yet another cynical example of indirect marketing to spend NHS money.

An interesting form of natural selection proposed by solidgone!

Curb it.... hope I didn't put you off your lunch too much, will buy you pie and a pint next time I see you!

Oh and another thing or two while I am having a rant of sorts the top prescribed drugs in the UK are PPI's... omperazole, lansoprazole for gastric reflux due to quite often poor diet and obesity, the 6th highest cost to NHS is on glucose testing strips for people who have developed type 2 diabetes. Is it reasonable for the treasury to fund these medicines (that said it keeps me in a job and puts food on my table!)
  • Options
    This has to be one of the best Non Charlton Related Catagory debates yet!

Thanks Henry!

Very very intersting to read all the different view points- bottom line is that parenting should be the biggest role anyone will undertake- many will and have debated how to do it.

Unfortunately, and i probably sound like an old git here, many nowadays don't take the resposibility quite as seriously as they maybe should, and the problem will only get worse because most people learn their parenting skills from their parents.
  • Options
    great stuff lats. But what about if i drink 30 pints a week, smoke when in the pub, eat poorly twice a week on way home from pub but exercise 5 times a week? will i be okay?

heard a good story last week. You remember our beloved Jorge Costa... well he ate in a local portugese restaurant every night that he was playing for us. He was here alone i seem to remember and lived in a hotel in Greenwich. Well each night that he visited that restaurant he ordered two chicken piri piri, one bottle of wine and two packs of fags. God bless him, no wonder he moved like The Tank.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]great stuff lats. But what about if i drink 30 pints a week, smoke when in the pub, eat poorly twice a week on way home from pub but exercise 5 times a week? will i be okay?

Ha ha, this is the question i was going to ask Lats after reading his post. Didnt no you smerked Curb It?
  • Options
    Just a mischievous thought:

Stress is supposed to be bad for you and increase the risk of contracting various diseases.

If eating "fat" food relaxes you thereby reducing your stress levels surely it does you good? The same principle applies to alcohol!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I must admit, I am now 36 but still do not feel responsible enough to bring a child into this world. The Yoof of today eh do not think of the consequences, theones that do are only thinking of the free council house that comes with every baby..!

My Sister has been living in Dubai for the last 3 years. I seem to recall her telling me that they operate a policy out there that unless you are married, you don't get free health care when you get pregnant.

A bit harsh? Maybe, but how many feckless teenagers would show a bit more responsibility if they knew that they couldn't rely on the state to pay for everything just because they got themselves up the duff?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]great stuff lats. But what about if i drink 30 pints a week, smoke when in the pub, eat poorly twice a week on way home from pub but exercise 5 times a week? will i be okay?

A personal view here Curbit, but real exercise can make up for a lot of over indulgence.

Certainly you would be better of having the exercise than not with that type of lifestyle!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Btw is cycling to work a bad way to keep fit, considering how much rubbish there is in the air in London
  • Options
    isn't the polluted air now protecting us from ultraviolet radiation from the sun?
  • Options
    Curb it.... no more than 14 units a week for a lady... 7 pints of stella so one per night, walk to a pub briskley that is 20mins from your home preferably taking you up the hill into the village or over to Greenwich, and have unburnt tandoori chicken or prawns as you 'takeaway food' and yep keep exercising. The single most important intervention you can make as we all know is to stop smoking but that is not so easy, often harder than giving up heroin
  • Options
    14 units... ah vey thats just too dull!

the fags will filter out soon once the non smoking comes in but i cant help it, havent had a smoke all day not even thought about it but soon as an alcoholic drink is in hand... well the fags are in the other so next smoke due on thursday.
  • Options
    Cycling to work is probably a good way of getting yourself killed !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Cycling to work is probably a good way of getting yourself killed !

Counter intutative innit.

I've worked out a pretty safe route, that's until I'm under a rubbish truck.

No flowers, donations to a charity of my choice
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    No flowers, donations to a charity of my choice

better tell us what the charity is now then, just in case.... :-)
  • Options
    Not sure yet, got a couple of weeks till I start properly, and I'll have a decision by then
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Not sure yet, got a couple of weeks till I start properly, and I'll have a decision by then

Valley Flags obviously!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite] often harder than giving up heroin

Now that's a good way to lose weight. Having lived in a house with a load of smackheads/dopeheads it certainly kept them slim even when the munchies meant going to the Greek bakers round the corner at 4am for a hot loaf

(and having seen them injecting and totally fucking up their lives was enough to put me right off drugs for life)