Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall at Wembley

Just an observation

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8190985.HAVE_YOUR_SAY__Sport_Rant___Millwall_glory_hunters_set_for_big_day_out/

Comments

• Options
    cor, that was a rant was it ?
  • Options
    Catford village? WTF?!
  • Options
    Love it

"Millwall’s biggest attendance this year was 17,632 for the derby with Charlton, the largest turnout for a game at The Den since the play-off meeting with Birmingham in 2002.

Of course, Millwall fans will laughably always tell you they don’t care about Charlton as they are more interested in West Ham or Crystal Palace.

The biggest crowd The Den has seen in eight years says otherwise.
    "
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Love it

"Millwall’s biggest attendance this year was 17,632 for the derby with Charlton, the largest turnout for a game at The Den since the play-off meeting with Birmingham in 2002.

Of course, Millwall fans will laughably always tell you they don’t care about Charlton as they are more interested in West Ham or Crystal Palace.

"

14666 Millwall fans in attendance v Charlton.

14887 Millwall in attendance v Swindon.

He got that wrong. Bit of a bitter Charlton rant that one from the reporter. He can ask my old man why he is turning up to only his 8th game this season after doing almost every home game from 1962-82 and every away from 67-82.
  • Options
    day before the big game sparrows,wtf you lurking on a charlton site for?
  • Options
    *grin* NS has gone native!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Love it

"

14666 Millwall fans in attendance v Charlton.

14887 Millwall in attendance v Swindon.

He got that wrong. Bit of a bitter Charlton rant that one from the reporter. He can ask my old man why he is turning up to only his 8th game this season after doing almost every home game from 1962-82 and every away from 67-82.

And misses out bigger crowds from the three Merseyside clubs than the Birmingham playoff!

Tranmere 16,404
    Everton 16,440
    Liverpool 17,655

Anyway, its not quantity, its about quality and a small Millwall crowd makes more noise than most!
  • Options
    Ha it is just a bit of pre-Wembley sarcasm and banter but there is a serious point to it in that Millwall really should be getting bigger gates than they do at the minute.

It doesn't make any sense to me as someone who does go (admittedly only as a hack) why there is a hardcore of 8,000 every week when 40,000 turn up for the one-off big games at Wembley.

I'm not expecting all of the 32,000 missing people to go to every game but surely at least six or seven thousand of them could become Den regulars?

And you are right FreeThinker when you say the regulars do make more noise than most but imagine what the place would be like with 15k inside each game.
  • Options
    A lot of the Millwall "support" today will be made up of Millwall fans mates who support other teams. Be a lot of wives and girlfriends too that you wouldn't expect to see every week.
  • Options
    Most of their plastics are like Man Utd plastics. When they were six they were scared of being bullied, for most of the country that meant claiming to follow the biggest club - Man Utd, but for one small pocket around SE London it meant pretending to follow the "hardest" club - Millwall.

Most people grow up and realise what a dick they were at six - but a lot don't - check out 32,000 of them in blue shirts at Wembley today...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]A lot of the Millwall "support" today will be made up of Millwall fans mates who support other teams. Be a lot of wives and girlfriends too that you wouldn't expect to see every week.

True, same for most clubs. We'd have been the same.
  • Options
    Was at the Millwall v Swindon game, and whilst the atmosphere was really good it was fractured unlike the Charlton v Swindon game.

I'm not making a rivalry about it, Millwall v Swindon was a great match and the crowd atmosphere wanted to take off just that nothing reveberates around the ground everything seems to dissipate or emanate from pockets rather than pulsating from three sides. Shit design for a ground. I have to say the noise at an average Millwall game is massively average and that's down to the ground. In 97-98 the atmosphere was electric for similar crowds, and that's all down to the Valley being a more traditionally encroached ground.
  • Options
    Through gritted teeth I guess Millwall deserve it having finished third....
  • Options
    352hm2t.jpg
  • Options
    I wish I could congratulate Millwall, but I cannot, I know it is the right thing to do, but it is just not in me!..... With Westham, Palace and Millwall above us now if ever we needed to get it together since we returned to the Valley it is now, for next season.
    Hate to be a bad loser, but I guess I am.
  • Options
    at least we wont have to go to the new Den for at least another 12 months
  • Options
    OK. I can't watch Claridge's smug face. That's enough of the highlights for me
  • Options
    Bad loser here also but It could have all been so different...Palace could have been relegated but survive on the last day, West Ham should have been relegated with their shocking points total and it was all set up for us to beat Millwall at Wembley but it all went t*ts up. It all points to one thing next and thats a shite World Cup :(

I still cant believe we have another 12 months in League 1 and have lost so many good away days. :(:(:(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]Ha it is just a bit of pre-Wembley sarcasm and banter but there is a serious point to it in that Millwall really should be getting bigger gates than they do at the minute.

It doesn't make any sense to me as someone who does go (admittedly only as a hack) why there is a hardcore of 8,000 every week when 40,000 turn up for the one-off big games at Wembley.

I'm not expecting all of the 32,000 missing people to go to every game but surely at least six or seven thousand of them could become Den regulars?

And you are right FreeThinker when you say the regulars do make more noise than most but imagine what the place would be like with 15k inside each game.

Why? I know 3 people who went regularly in the 60's to 80's but now live in Devon who came up. I know one who was a regular but now lives in Spain.

How can they start coming every week? Pretty much every Millwall fan was there, that's our support, young & old, from London to Australia, or not far off.

You may have 150,000 worldwide support, plus older fans who don't go anymore, why ain't you moaning about your crowds of 16k? It is what it is, you don't get much glory following lower league teams, so obviously every Millwall fan would make the effort to go, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    hello mate what happened with the fifty something millwall fan getting bottled ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    elaborate nolly
  • Options
    my mate a millwall fan said a millwall fan was koed on wembley way,dont no if it was their own fans or swindon.
  • Options
    Apparently a few things happened, no idea who between or why, only bit of hassle I saw all day was some Swindon abusing a disabled 'wall fan.
  • Options
    Rose tinted glasses SLL next door neighbours brother lives in swindon went to the game and said there was millwall abusing and attacking anyone in sight
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Rose tinted glasses SLL next door neighbours brother lives in swindon went to the game and said there was millwall abusing and attacking anyone in sight

and many a lurid tale of swindon fans abused outside Wembley in the minutes after the Final whistle, incidently while all our fans were inside celebrating with the team!

I did get to wave at a few Swindon Coaches leaving Wembley, funny for a bunch of fans with six fingers, they only displayed one or two!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Rose tinted glasses SLL next door neighbours brother lives in swindon went to the game and said there was millwall abusing and attacking anyone in sight

How is it rose tinted? I said I didn't see sod all! Heard of stuff, from both sides, I didn't see it though so won't run on to websites spreading 2nd hand stories!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]

How is it rose tinted? I said I didn't see sod all! Heard of stuff, from both sides, I didn't see it though so won't run on to websites spreading 2nd hand stories!

What happened to the millwall family that were attacked by the people on the a Charlton coach in New Cross, you were on about after we played you away?
  • Options
    The only thing you witnessed SLL were Swindon fan abusing a disabled Millwall Fan but nothing else hense the rose tinted glasses, no doubt when it all goes pear shaped at Pompey,Cardiff,Swansea,Leeds and Hull none of it will be your fault just over reaction from the local police
  • Options
    A Scunthorpe fan at work said the same happened last year.
  • Options
    What a great post New Shopper, i enjoyed it very much

Like the latest comment 'Come on people its only football, who cares if millwall are going up or charlton or whoever is the team of the moment. There is more importent things going on in the world asnd football is not one of them.' lol mother teresa