Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luther

edited June 2010 in Not Sports Related
Have to say a quality programme tonight ....

Comments

• Options
    intense, just watching tonights ep now, been hooked since the first episode. hope there is a second series.
  • Options
    Stories are good but the main bloke just cannot act.
  • Options
    Idris Elba is brilliant in it and the series as a whole has been incredible. From the moment it finishes I can't wait for the next episode.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Stories are good but the main bloke just cannot act.

I haven't seen Luther, but judging from The Wire: he really, really can.
  • Options
    Not seen this yet - been meaning to catch it, so I'll take a look. Is he the geezer who played Michael Scott's boss for a while in The Office? If it's him, he was pretty good in that.
  • Options
    Yeah that's him in the office.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Stories are good but the main bloke just cannot act.

You're joking, you just have to be joking. His character is totally believable, the sure sign of some superb acting.
  • Options
    I think his acting in this is poor too. Not saying he is a bad actor, just not that good in this.
    The character is not 'totally believable' but that is just my opinion.
    Enjoying the show though.
  • Options
    I think his acting is good, but he is playing the character in a way that grates on me. I think it is done in a way to distance himself from past roles. What bugs me is the constant head tilting and low slow voice, probably a reference to past mental problems, due to nearly killing that pervert
  • Options
    LOL .... acting critiques ...

Having seen a freaking dancing dog win through on BGT, an unbelievable character is the least of our problems.

Sit back and enjoy it ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched it a few weeks ago and again last night. Whoever writes the scripts needs shooting and Luther's boss has to be one of the worst actresses I've seen, she is so wooden! Idris Elba is doing his best to carry it but even he is a victim of the cop show cliche every now and again.
  • Options
    Agree with that Heath. Missed last's nights but have watched all the others. I think she is playing the stereo typical "tough female cop boss in a man's world". Also I find the relationship he has with the psychopathic red head girl a little bit questionable and also cant see the moral dilemma and guilt he is wracked with guilt by for letting the scumbag fall in episode one.

But it is vey different and not a cliched cop show and as Riscardo says if you ignore the unreality of it and sit back and enjoy it its is compelling viewing.

Took me a good couple of episodes to get my head round Stringer Bell talking like a londoner... even though he's a Hackney boy I kept expecting him to pin all of the crimes on Omar.
  • Options
    Heath Hero, spot on with Saskia Reeves who plays his boss, awful overdone cockney accent, although she was born & bred in London, she does have a football connection of sorts, she played the barmaid who knocked off the main character John in the hooligan film ID,and claimed all along she knew he was OB.
    Love Luther, love the fact that he is human and has faults, also think that Alice's character is excellent (and Ruth Wilson is very pleasing on the eye too). Like it so much so that it inspired me to get The Wire first series and have just finished episode 5, will work through them all to catch up on all the series (6?) box by box.
  • Options
    Five series of The Wire to watch DA9, although Idris Elba's character gets killed off at the end of Season 3. Proper telly that is and other British actors in prominent roles, although by their accents you might struggle to work out whom.

As for Luther, I don't normally watch these type of programmes but this has been a series I've stuck to, last night's was easily the best.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]although Idris Elba's character gets killed off at the end of Season 3.

As for Luther, I don't normally watch these type of programmes but this has been a series I've stuck to, last night's was easily the best.

Thanks for the spoiler warning......................NOT.......LOL

Is Barksdales character British?
  • Options
    haha, oops sorry. Nope, the two most prominent are McNulty aka Dominic West and later on Irish actor Aidan Gillan plays the role of Mayoral hopeful Tommy Carcetti.
  • Options
    It's an excellent programme, have really enjoyed it, can't wait until the next episode. Hope Luther gets to give McGann's character a proper lamp. Glad Ruth Wilson is in something decent after that appalling remake of "The Prisoner". She's Hot.
  • Options
    Barksdale is not British, Chicago born and bred and played a fair few drug dealers in his time. Carcetti who appears in season 3 is one of the guy's out of Queer As Folk, and Irish by birth and upbringing.

Like Idris Elba, know he was born in Hackney but when I see him out of character he totally overdoes his east end posturing. Doesn't seem to be any different in Luther. I'll have to properly watch the last few episodes, but not enamoured from afar.
  • Options
    Having been born in Hackney and now buying back East, I'm not sure what you mean by East End posturing :p
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Having been born in Hackney and now buying back East, I'm not sure what you mean by East End posturing :p

At 27, you're too young to know what we're talking about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair point .... but I can google it ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Heath Hero, spot on with Saskia Reeves who plays his boss, awful overdone cockney accent, although she was born & bred in London, she does have a football connection of sorts, she played the barmaid who knocked off the main character John in the hooligan film ID,and claimed all along she knew he was OB.
    Love Luther, love the fact that he is human and has faults, also think that Alice's character is excellent (and Ruth Wilson is very pleasing on the eye too). Like it so much so that it inspired me to get The Wire first series and have just finished episode 5, will work through them all to catch up on all the series (6?) box by box.

I absolutely loved the Wire, and imho Luther doesn't even compare.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Heath Hero, spot on with Saskia Reeves who plays his boss, awful overdone cockney accent, although she was born & bred in London, she does have a football connection of sorts, she played the barmaid who knocked off the main character John in the hooligan film ID,and claimed all along she knew he was OB.

I absolutely loved the Wire, and imho Luther doesn't even compare.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I agree
  • Options
    Never thought television could be bettered after The Sopranos but The Wire put paid to that.
  • Options
    This is a Luther thread NOT a Wire thread ....

Baaaaaaaaaa
  • Options
    Luther is the best thing that has been on TV since the Queens coronation. Fact.
  • Options
    Now what ...

Best last line ever ... fact
  • Options
    Heath - I couldn't agree more, it's beyond me how they got him to do this dreck. I love the way he solves the mysteries on a whim. I gave up a couple of episodes before the end. The serial killing taxi driver did it for me when they looked a photograph of a body and heard that there was a necklace missing. Luther immediately concludes from this that the killer's wife is leaving him, and doesn't think to consider any other possibilities from then on. And the way they left the hammer that the serial killer had been wielding, the distraught wife, a corpse and a terrified hooker to their own devices while about 100 cops milled around outside was hilarious. Disappointing that there's got to be 5 minutes of Idris having an over acting hissy fit as a result of a phone call that's upset him, every episode. Just terrible.

During the Wire I thought he was pretty much the standout actor, but everyone involved in Luther looks totally wooden in their daft stereotype roles, particularly the ginger Lecter cow. I guess it goes to show that an actor will only look as good as the script their reciting.
  • Options
    Why bother matching then .... watch big brother instead
  • Options
    I thought it was an excellent series, as long as you bear in mind it was somewhat far fetched.