Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luther

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I thought it was an excellent series, as long as you bear in mind it was somewhat far fetched.

But if it wasn't far-fetched it'd just been the Bill.
  • Options
    total and utter kak.
  • Options
    I didn't see last night's episode. Did he throw his desk over again or otherwise destroy something after a conversation with his ex-wife? That seemed to be a weekly occurrence.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seems to me the script comes after they tick 22 boxes which have nothing to do with plot ,script etc etc once they have ticked all the boxes they write something round it-------------------------total KAK.
  • Options
    Ex Wife Bites lip and looks pensive
    Withnail's Mate: (reading guardian and drinking red wine): You must consider the pros and cons of being with him or me
    In the background, through the window, we notice the ginger serial killer watching the scene. Her face is set in a blankly evil smirk.

Cut to Luther kneading his temples. He catches sight of a document. He calls the team together.

"He's killing them with a sharpened scaffolding pole and leaving the bodies outside cheese shops. Our man's a German pilot, who's pet sheep was slaughtered in the last foot and mouth crisis. This is escalating out of control."

Everyone stops investigating whatever other leads they had and start concentrating on the German-pilot-sheep angle. Meanwhile we see the killer heading out into the streets - a sharp pole under his arm. Oh noes. But the bill have zeroed in on Captain von Schmitd, a German pilot who retired due to stress after Flossie his sheep died. They charge round to his house just as he's coming out the door, with a scaffold pole under his arm. Yay. But oh dear, it turns out that Schmidt is now a scaffolder.

Cut to Lex getting a phone call telling him that a serial killer has struck again. He flies into a rage and hurls a wheel of cheese through the window.

"Stoike a bleeding loite", exclaims his guvnor.

Cut to shot of impaled corpse lying outside cheese shop.

If anyone from the BBC is reading, you can have that.
  • Options
    Post of the week, possibly year. Hilarious.
  • Options
    Maybe they should bring back Dixon of Dock Green ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Maybe they should bring back Dixon of Dock Green ?

Surprised you remember that as you're only 27 :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]

Having seen a freaking dancing dog win through on BGT, an unbelievable character is the least of our problems.

Sit back and enjoy it ...

Just watched the last episode on catch up. Initially i was quite cynical in earlier episodes and was picking holes in it but funnily enough read the above and did take it for what it was...a bit of surreal escapism and really enjoyed it.

Having said that I reckon the chief police women will be recast as a tree next series as it will be cheaper and have the same impact.

If i was the coppers i would have pretended to arrest Ian and put word out for Luther to come in and give a statement instead of chasing him all over town.
  • Options
    I find it oh so predictable and hackneyed. pretty poor imho. bring back cracker!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I liked the ending, but it is a bit much that he seems to just miraculously work out what is happening from the thinnest of leads.

It’s a shame really as Idris Elba was epically good in the wire. I don’t think the beeb is ready for him yet, they just aren’t brave enough with their projects compared with the likes of HBO. Such a shame.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc83[/cite]I liked the ending, but it is a bit much that he seems to just miraculously work out what is happening from the thinnest of leads.

It’s a shame really as Idris Elba was epically good in the wire. I don’t think the beeb is ready for him yet, they just aren’t brave enough with their projects compared with the likes of HBO. Such a shame.

The problem is the public will never allow anyone to spend license payers money on a series that is 20 episodes long or that goes on for 5,10 or even 15 series. I have to say as much as I appreciate the BBC for not advertising and think the license fee is a good thing, it does have its drawbacks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafc83[/cite]I liked the ending, but it is a bit much that he seems to just miraculously work out what is happening from the thinnest of leads.

The problem is the public will never allow anyone to spend license payers money on a series that is 20 episodes long or that goes on for 5,10 or even 15 series. I have to say as much as I appreciate the BBC for not advertising and think the license fee is a good thing, it does have its drawbacks.

Your probably right, but its frustrating as its not like the talent isn't there for the BBC to produce something really good. They just need to be a bit braver.

When they do get involved in overseas stuff, Rome comes to mind, we get some really great TV.

I can’t remember the last thing I saw on the BBC that really made me think "Wow, that was good"
  • Options
    Their big problem is that the BBC do not do realism. Look at the differences between the wire/sopranos and Luther. The american series tell it as it is, warts and all, luther seemed to be a tick box exercise in political correctness which had little or no basis in reality.
  • Options
    I really don't think you can call Luther 'politically correct' given some of the violence aimed against women particularly! I seem to remember there was a bit of a hoo-ha about one episode in particular?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Their big problem is that the BBC do not do realism. Look at the differences between the wire/sopranos and Luther. The american series tell it as it is, warts and all, luther seemed to be a tick box exercise in political correctness which had little or no basis in reality.
    There's two problems that the BBC have - first they have to try and squeeze the plot into 6 episodes, while something like the Wire had around 13 episodes per series. Luther might not have been so poor if it had maybe taken two or three storylines and built them properly rather than just having stupid plot jumps and relying on daft stereotypes (the gritty guvnor, the edgy cop flying by the seat of his pants and bending the rules, the eager assistant, the evil genius sociopath, the earnest new boyfriend, etc.) rather than building stories and characters. Then, as you say, they are always looking at mass appeal. I liked what David Simon said about the Wire - he made it deliberately complex so his audience would lean in and pay attention. He took the brave step of basically saying that he didn't give a damn if people couldn't understand it - they weren't the audience that he was going for. It's ballsy, but I'd be surprised if Luther sells as many DVDs or gets as much acclaim as the Wire, so maybe aunty should give her audience a little bit of credit.
  • Options
    Why didnt Luther just phone up his boss and say ' check the phone mast records of Inspector Reed - he was at the house before me, he also called me from there'
  • Options
    If they had focused on one or two crimes over the six episodes it probably would have played out a bit better, as it is it was rushed.

And as for political correctness, they were certainly trying to tick as many boxes as possible from a demographic point of view with their characters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc83[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]

Your probably right, but its frustrating as its not like the talent isn't there for the BBC to produce something really good. They just need to be a bit braver.

When they do get involved in overseas stuff, Rome comes to mind, we get some really great TV.

I can’t remember the last thing I saw on the BBC that really made me think "Wow, that was good"

Spooks?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Spooks?

I always seemed to miss that one, was it actually any good?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So who else has just shat themselves?
  • Options
    Quality drama. Best British cop show by a country mile.
  • Options
    Excellent series.
  • Options
    Yep was very good
  • Options
    Just checking under my bed
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Just checking under my bed

Just did that. I'm checking the loft now :-)
  • Options
    Told my missus if ever I am getting attacked in the loft she can run out of the house rather than sit there vacuously before hiding in a cupboard.
  • Options
    Did he do lots of shouting and throwing tables around? Really don't get the fascination with this programme...
  • Options

Did he do lots of shouting and throwing tables around? Really don't get the fascination with this programme...

no

• Options
    Anyone else watch this weeks episode, see the first woman all dressed up and think Robert Smith from The Cure?
    Just me? Oh well!