Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Killer In Cumbria

Im hearing all these stories about shootings and fatalities in the lakes.
Ive got my dad and brother in the area and cant get hold of them due to my dads reluctance to carry a mobile with him (pillock i know).
anyone else know someone affected by this situation?

Comments

• Options
    Last Updated 13:19 02/06/2010
    Emma Rowley, Sky News Online
    A number of people are confirmed dead and several injured in shootings across the Lake District.

Local reports suggest up to four people may be dead, including one person killed in Duke Street, Whitehaven.

Police are hunting Derrick Bird, 52, following the shootings across the region.

A Cumbria Police spokesman said: "We can confirm that a number of people have been injured after shots were fired in the Whitehaven, Seascale and Egremont areas this morning.

"There are a number of fatalities and police are working to identify the individuals and inform relatives. Ambulance crews are in attendance across the area."

Bird, of Rowrah near Frizington, has abandoned his car in the Boot area and is now believed to be on foot, police said, urging people in the area to take cover indoors.

Officers are also asking walkers and tourists in that area to be vigilant and head indoors if at all possible.

Anyone who sees him or his vehicle should call 999 and should not approach him.

Helen Owens, who works at solicitors' practice Brockbank, Cain and Hall on Duke Street, said one of her colleagues saw a dead man on the street.

"We heard a couple of gunshots and the police running about," she said. "One of our secretaries was out at the time and she saw a guy lying dead on the ground covered with a sheet - she saw his trainers sticking out.

"There's police tape across it so we can't see exactly what happened but saw a policeman running across the street.

"We have also heard there was another shooting at Morrisons car park, which is about five minutes away. We have the door locked."

Witness Alan Hannah described how he fled out of Whitehaven after he saw the gunman leaning out of a car window.

"I was waiting at a red light and looked around the corner. I saw a man with a shotgun at the windown which had been shattered.

"It looked like quite a big shotgun. I just went through the red light and got the hell out of Whitehaven."

Members of the public in the area have been asked to stay indoors until further notice while officers hunt the gunman, Cumbria Police said.

The force said in a statement: "The search has now extended to the Ambleside, Coniston and Central Lakes areas, so police are urging all members of the public in these areas and across the West Lakes area from Whitehaven to Ravenglass to go indoors and stay there until further notice."

One of Bird's neighbours, who did not want to give his name, said: "He's a quiet sort of fella. He kept himself to himself and lived alone.

"He wasn't particularly friendly, he didn't talk to any of the neighbours."

He added: "The taxi he drove was a silver Citroen."

Police said earlier that Bird was thought to be driving ia dark grey/silver Citroen Picasso, registration ND55 ZFC.
  • Options
    gunman who opened fire in a seaside town killing up to four people and injuring 14 others.
  • Options
    The killer is still on the lose.
  • Options
    My dad and brother are leaving today and were staying in Ambleside.
    I know they would've gone for a walk before leaving, which was later in the day, and the news that the guy is now on foot is even more concerning as my dad will go anywhere across the lakes for a walk.
  • Options
    sounds a bit too much like Michael Ryan, how do these nuts get hold of guns so easily?
  • Options
    apparently derek bird is dead, his body found in some woodland with the gun.
  • Options
    BBC saying suspect found dead in a wood.

Hope your family are OK, Folev.
  • Options
    "Found (Derrick Bird's) body in woodlands......"

Helpline: 0800 096 0095
  • Options
    Thanks, im sure my dad and brother are OK, no-doubt i'll get a call from a service station somewhere.
    My thoughts are with the families of those who have been killed and probably are unaware of their loved ones deaths
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ambleside is a good way from where the killings started, and here's a lot of good walking in the area close to Ambleside so it is unlikely the guy would have got that far.
  • Options
    I thought this thread would be about Derek Hales' holiday!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]My dad and brother are leaving today and were staying in Ambleside.
    I know they would've gone for a walk before leaving, which was later in the day, and the news that the guy is now on foot is even more concerning as my dad will go anywhere across the lakes for a walk.
    Anyone that crosses lakes for a walk is either going to get very wet or be hailed as the new messiah....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]I thought this thread would be about Derek Hales' holiday!!

bad taste
  • Options
    Folev

watching the news on the TV i find myself really hoping that you have heard from your folks.

To all those affected even the gunmans

RIP
  • Options
    Thanks, but nothing has been heard from them.
    Im trying to stay positive and am just assuring myself that they would've been made aware of the situation and steered clear.
    Nonetheless, when then return my dads getting a bollocking for his refusal to own a mobile.
  • Options
    i cant begin to imagine how you must be feeling right now

good luck i hope it all works out
  • Options
    Let us know as soon as you hear. What bloody amazed me was the woman shopkeeper on the radio who said its a shame he's chose now to do this because they rely heavily tourist trade at this time of year and this might put people off. Oh yeah what bad timing for her sod all the people who have lost people. I hate selfish people, rant over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Let us know as soon as you hear. What bloody amazed me was the woman shopkeeper on the radio who said its a shame he's chose now to do this because they rely heavily tourist trade at this time of year and this might put people off. Oh yeah what bad timing for her sod all the people who have lost people. I hate selfish people, rant over.

quite right, selfish cow!

Hope it all works out for you Folev, and heart felt condolences to all those affected in cumbria, so soon after bus crash too :(
  • Options
    Thanks guys they just returned.
    The reason for their 12 hour silence during this time where we needed reassurrance was, "We didnt know".

For a while i was seriously worried and my thoughts at this time are with those families affected. They must be praying that its all a bad dream and i cannot imagine a worse scenario.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic news well done for you
  • Options
    Makes you wonder what can drive a person to carry out a killing spree like this, the guy seemed well liked and apparently he had just become a grandfather, they are saying he may have tax problems but how bad can it be to kill 12 strangers so randomly.

I hope all the familys affected have the strength to get through this including the gunmans.

Sad Times
  • Options
    Glad for you folev. Story coming from sky his twin brother was killed also. Not confirmed.
  • Options
    My best friend as a kid was murdered by his dad, as was his brother and his mum. Random acts of total mental lunacy that crop up every few years always bring it back to me.

Just can't get my head around how mentally unadjusted someone would need to get to destroy the lives of others, either if they are so low they wish to destroy their own.
  • Options
    This is just devastating and unimaginable. Makes me feel sick. Innocent people's lives taken away by this guy while they were going about day to day business. Their poor family and friends. Thoughts, best wishes and even prayers go to them.
  • Options
    It's one thing yo kill yourself - but dragging countless innocents into is disgusting
    sad that he got to thinking this was the only way out

I dud read earlier he was getting a ribbing from fellow cabbies last night.. Wonder if that was the straw that broke the camels back
  • Options
    It was a terrible tragedy, and I hope all those critically ill get better. I can't imagine how terrified people in the Lake District must've been when hearing about this, and of course I'm glad Folev's dad and brother are OK
  • Options
    How did he end up with the guns in the first place. Some of the victims must have been premeditated as Cumbria isnt know for its gun distribution.

What suprised me most was his age, 52. Whatever his motive it must have been for a recent cause as surely he hasnt spent his long old life with this bogged up in him. I heard he had a son aswell so i assume he had lived a normal life up until recent times which makes the man behind these horrific events even more unusual.
  • Options
    He even shot his own brother for FFS, he obviously totally lost the plot and went utterly mad.

It will be interesting to see whether he owned the guns he used and whether they were legal.
  • Options
    I've spent the last couple of months trying to persuade the Missus to go to the lakes this year on holiday and finally managed to on Sunday !

As I pointed out to her though this is just one of those kind of things that could happen absolutely anywhere so it won't put us in any danger there.

Terrible how he seemed to be just shooting at anyone out of the car window