Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

bbq whats the point fan or not

Comments

• Options
    As a vegetarian don't like BBQ so much effort for a veggie kebab and halloumi. Much prefer picnics or taking properly cooked food outside as Henry said
  • Options
    As a vegetarian don't like BBQ so much effort for a veggie kebab and halloumi. Much prefer picnics or taking properly cooked food outside as Henry said
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Much prefer picnics or taking properly cooked food outside as Henry said

Learning to cook solves the not properly cooked food problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stuart the Red[/cite]I like a good barbie, but the sound of the neighbour's droning music makes me go potty.

We moved houses in the end to get away from loud and inconsiderate neighbours.

I know what you mean mate - we had particularly odious neighbours.
    We resorted to playing loud droning music to annoy them, and thankfully they moved in the end....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]BBQs are good in the right setting.

In the wrong setting they are a nightmare.

Indoors being one of them!
    lol!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stuart the Red[/cite]I like a good barbie, but the sound of the neighbour's droning music makes me go potty.

We moved houses in the end to get away from loud and inconsiderate neighbours.

I know what you mean mate - we had particularly odious neighbours.
    We resorted to playing loud droning music to annoy them, and thankfully they moved in the end....

LOL.
  • Options
    Im doing a bbq on Saturday for my boy's 2nd birthday.

Love it, got a big old gas number, shut the lid it cooks it nice and moist (ooh err)

20+ family and friends round so expect to do a good 3 hour stint, not a problem providing the wife keeps my pint topped up.

New potatoes, nice salad, decent crusty bread, decent wine, sit in the garden, get burnt, swear at the kids when the muddy football lands on the chicken...

Perfect.
  • Options
    Stop catering for the women !!!
    A bbq should consist of meat and bread based products only.
  • Options
    Gotta have spuds mate, personally Im either a new potato with minted butter or a nice jacket in the oven.

Probably with you on the salad though.
  • Options
    I like a good BBQ. Only thing that spoils it are poxy wasps, right pain in the arse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]I like a good BBQ. Only thing that spoils it are poxy wasps, right pain in the arse.

I know what you mean Gary, it is difficult getting them to stay on the skewers, and when you go to turn them, well!!!
  • Options
    Dartford, if its burnt then the person cooking CANT cook !
  • Options
    F***in' love 'em. I barbecue every day if it's sunny during the summer - every single day. No real trick to doing it properly - as others have mentioned, just make sure the coals are white before you start cooking. Easiest way to barbecue is to buy a load of normal charcoal (the briquettes are shit), bucketloads of lighting fluid, absolutely drench the coals in it (half a bottle or thereabouts) then light it with a bit of paper. It'll go up like mad to start with, but die down to nice flames within 30-60 seconds, then wait around 25-35 minutes for all the flames to die out and the coals to go grey-white. Chuck your stuff on and cook it reasonably high up (i.e. away from the flames) so that you don't get any searing from fat dripping onto the coals. I agree re: chicken - best not to piss about with it as it's far more prone to carrying food poisoning than pork, beef or lamb - so stick drumsticks/thighs/wings etc in the oven first for 15 minutes, then move it onto the barbecue (you can cook these a bit lower down as you want some of the flames to lick them to get a chargrilled taste.

Alternatively, just invite a Saffer round and watch them take over
  • Options
    Sod all that. wait 25 - 30 mins for the coals to heat up!!!

Cooker takes a few seconds to heat up.

Did go to one last year where they roasted a whole pig in a pit.

Tasted very nice but took about 5 hours .

I'm off to Kinbo's house, sounds much better : - )
  • Options
    Barbequeing is easy.

And coal must be used not gas (nightmare to clean and might as well grill everything) four firelighters for the novice, light them up and put the charcoal on by hand, I can have a barbie ready to cook on from cold in ten minutes. I have a little wind up hairdryer fan thing and the coals can be whitened in no time.

And I can't abide all this burning nonsense, you wouldn't grill something until it was incinerated so it's poor form to do the same on the barbie.

Keep everything moving around and you will be fine. And don't use frozen muck from iceland etc.

Beautiful
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Carter][/cite]And don't use frozen muck from iceland etc.

This.

The only 'pre-packed' barbecue food that's any cop is Waitrose or (at a push) Sainsbury's. Waitrose do some absolutely quality burgers. They're bloody expensive though - so what I tend to do is get shite for the kids and peasants, whilst I spend decent money on my own food. They don't know the difference, so f*** 'em.
  • Options
    Love a BBQ, but I know some people that have one a couple of times a week. Takes away the novelty of them then.

And in the food debate, you've gotta have some salad, new potatoes and corn on the cob. Plus some grilled fresh sardines....yum!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter][/cite]And don't use frozen muck from iceland etc.

This.

The only 'pre-packed' barbecue food that's any cop is Waitrose or (at a push) Sainsbury's. Waitrose do some absolutely quality burgers. They're bloody expensive though - so what I tend to do is get shite for the kids and peasants, whilst I spend decent money on my own food. They don't know the difference, so f*** 'em.

You know what, the amount of people who get this wrong and go for quantity over quality. I must start doing the same next time I have people over for a bbq as I do the decent stuff from the butchers at the moment but the stuff I've seen people turn up with or have round theirs I despair. I'm not a snob but if somethings worth doing!?!
  • Options
    I hate going to other peoples barbecues, it's like bloody russian roulette.
    Invariably the man of the house insists on being in charge of the barbie which is fine unless: -
    1. He never cooks at any other time and has no clue about food hygiene and safety
    2. He is pissed.

Other than that I love 'em.

Oh btw, the guy who mentioned bananas and choc buttons; have you tried wrapping a banana and a mars bar in foil; put it on when the coals are starting to fade, while you finishing off your savoury stuff and beer Then serve when ready.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]

And in the food debate, you've gotta have some salad, new potatoes and corn on the cob. Plus some grilled fresh sardines....yum!
    So that's why you're so skinny....

Get some meat into ya, in a manly way of course...;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol believe me I can eat loads and loads but can't put on any weight to save my life.

You got any going spare Bobby?
  • Options
    Next time the coloured cats play us you get a special invite to the bbq cholesterol invasion of the decade....
  • Options
    Gotta love a good barbie... had one today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]Gotta love a good barbie... had one today
    You kept that quiet...
  • Options
    tips for BBQs

* dont have em in doors, they tend to play up with the wooden floor
    * salads on a bbq are sh*t
    * BBQ and custurd just dont work.
  • Options
    And just before you put the barbie on, wrap a whole salmon in foil, and pop in the dishwasher, put on a normal cycle and remove once the dishwasher has finished its wash - voila! Perfect salmon.
  • Options
    heard that before thought it was a joke i may well give it a go could be messy
  • Options
    Nice barbie round a place my mate is renting for a week last night - huge tiger prawns. Mate got so pissed we ended up cooking for ourselves while he went to bed - LOL-

Agree about the gas barbies BTW - what's the point? The food just does not taste barbequed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]Lol believe me I can eat loads and loads but can't put on any weight to save my life.

I'm the same
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: ross[/cite]Lol believe me I can eat loads and loads but can't put on any weight to save my life.

I'm the same

i am the same too unbelivable iu should be the size of a house by now

but i am only the size of a large trailer home