Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

iPhone 4

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]All this "Apple has revolutionised the way we interact with eachother" rubbish.

All I need is to send a text to my mates along the lines of "Who fancies a drink? 8pm at so & so" and then we interact at the pub.

All this "facetime" mumbo jumbo. How convenient is it to look into your phone in the office, or walking down the street, or in the car and have a "facetime" moment. What a lot of crap.

You want to ring people, text people, a passable camera, a few games to pass time and a few handy apps and that's it.

absolutely spot on
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]All this "Apple has revolutionised the way we interact with eachother" rubbish.

All I need is to send a text to my mates along the lines of "Who fancies a drink? 8pm at so & so" and then we interact at the pub.

All this "facetime" mumbo jumbo. How convenient is it to look into your phone in the office, or walking down the street, or in the car and have a "facetime" moment. What a lot of crap.

You want to ring people, text people, a passable camera, a few games to pass time and a few handy apps and that's it.

Spot on, and I've just bought myself the new one. The software update made my old 16gb 3g pretty slow tbh, but by selling for £209, I'm getting the new phone upfront price paid for, and now just have to pay my contract :)

anyway, anyone got an iPhone 4? how you guys finding it?
  • Options
    Medders Jun 10th 2010 quote# 53
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ketman[/cite]Medders 'Superb' Iphone has broken & had to be replaced after about six months :-)[/quote]

Errrr, just short of 12 months you clown!

Oh, and it was replaced for new within 10 minutes of arriving at the Apple store... you wouldnt get service like that with Nokia, Samsung etc...

True Medders...... but then Apple seem to have a permanent que at Bluewater bringing back the 'i' phone, at least in my experience.

Or as I like to put it "There's always one Rotten Apple phone in every phone contract.'
  • Options
    I've got an iPhone 4. The screen is amazing, but other than that it's just like the 3GS with iOS4. The camera is better, but as I only tend to snap pictures of my son and look at them on the PC I can't say I noticed the difference.

I don't know anyone else with one so I've not used the face to face thing yet.

In all honesty the only reason I got the new phone was to get away from o2 and switch to Vodafone. The reception is much better now, but I suspect that has more to do with the network.
  • Options
    I've just got a HTC Desire on O2 and I couldn't be happier with it. I did consider holding off for the new iphone but there's no way any phone in the world is worth paying £60 a month for. I've also heard that there are some problems with the aerial in the iPhone4, that you sometimes have to hold it a particular way otherwise it won't work. Additionally the new features on the new iPhone only work if you are contacting another user with the same phone.

I think that smart phones are reaching a point no where they are effectively micro netbooks. I know I use my desire the access the internet more than I use to phone. Hand held devices will become faster and internet accessibility is more important to me than any other feature so as far as I'm concerned Andriod phones are more appealing. The only disadvantage to Android is that there is a kind of cultural bias towards iPhone apps rather than android apps. Companies are always producing apps exclusively for the iPhone and advertise this as if it's a good thing. Hopefully this is a temporary situation and at the end of the day I can't believe the iPhone is so expensive, you get more value for money on Android.
  • Options
    It's a developer problem for Android, because the OS is so split, it makes it hard for them to focus on developing apps, do they make them for 1.5? 1.6? 2.0? 2.1 or 2.2, and talk of 3. So 6 different versions of the OS on about 100 different devices. If you develop for iPhone, it's one OS, on one screen size, on a family of devices.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I've just got a HTC Desire on O2 and I couldn't be happier with it. I did consider holding off for the new iphone but there's no way any phone in the world is worth paying £60 a month for. I've also heard that there are some problems with the aerial in the iPhone4, that you sometimes have to hold it a particular way otherwise it won't work. Additionally the new features on the new iPhone only work if you are contacting another user with the same phone.

I think that smart phones are reaching a point no where they are effectively micro netbooks. I know I use my desire the access the internet more than I use to phone. Hand held devices will become faster and internet accessibility is more important to me than any other feature so as far as I'm concerned Andriod phones are more appealing. The only disadvantage to Android is that there is a kind of cultural bias towards iPhone apps rather than android apps. Companies are always producing apps exclusively for the iPhone and advertise this as if it's a good thing. Hopefully this is a temporary situation and at the end of the day I can't believe the iPhone is so expensive, you get more value for money on Android.

what contract were you looking at that's £60? There's a 24 month contract on tesco mobile for the iphone 4 which is 45 quid a month, with unlimited texts, minutes and data. Three also have ridiculously good contracts (although the phone isn't available through them yet, admittedly).

I agree with you about netbooks, Imo I think the first iPhone was the beginning of that process, I know that I currently spend longer on the net on my phone than laptop now.The aerial thing on the new iPhone has been massively overplayed, if you hold any phone in 1 exact place you will detrimentally affect it's signal, and although it was a design oversight on Apple's part to put that where you might accidentally be holding it, if you're told that that happens, then why go out to try and do it as some have?

And the new feature you're talking about is the video calling. Imo I couldn't care less, 90% of the time I'm on the phone I don't want the other person to see me, and imo, it will never take off. Reason being? There's far too many men with mistresses who when the missus rings can't be on video call :p

For Android vs iOS, see Windows vs Mac. (and not just because one of each battle is made by Apple). There's no right or wrong winner
  • Options
    The contract I was looking at was the vodaphone one, 24 months with a free phone for 60 quid a month. If you pay a bit towards the phone you can get it cheaper but I do stand corrected.

My contract is 30/month over 18 months although having a quick look on the o2 website I notice that they have already changed the tarrif and my deal isn't available anymore. I did pay fifty pounds for my phone which reduced my monthly bill by a fiver a month but to get the compative deal in terms of minutes and unlimited texts on the iphone I'd have to pay 169 quid for the device. It's also a longer contract, something else that put me off.

I think the Android v Apple thing will run and run especially with other operating systems turning up over the next couple of years. Yes personal preference comes into it but it also depends on wheter you want to run flash. Once my contract runs out I'll be interested to see just how much more processing power the next generation of devices will have in 18 months time!
  • Options
    It's a developer problem for Android, because the OS is so split, it makes it hard for them to focus on developing apps, do they make them for 1.5? 1.6? 2.0? 2.1 or 2.2, and talk of 3. So 6 different versions of the OS on about 100 different devices. If you develop for iPhone, it's one OS, on one screen size, on a family of devices.
    Ahhhh! I did wonder. That's why TVcatchup is available on the iphone but not the android for example. I guess the race is on to develop a plug in then?
  • Options
    HD camera and playback. People pay hundreds for that alone!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]It's a developer problem for Android, because the OS is so split, it makes it hard for them to focus on developing apps, do they make them for 1.5? 1.6? 2.0? 2.1 or 2.2, and talk of 3. So 6 different versions of the OS on about 100 different devices. If you develop for iPhone, it's one OS, on one screen size, on a family of devices.

Would agree that fragmentation has been a problem on Android, BUT Google are pulling it together - Gingerbread (That's version 3.0 of the OS) will have a few tricks up it's sleeve to make sure that Android keeps ahead of Apple.

Just like Android there are certain Apps that only work on the 3GS and 4 and not on the earlier versions.

Anyway why be a clone and buy and iPhone when you can be just that "little" bit different!
  • Options
    its funny how people with i phones are loyal and wont contemplate any other and vise versa. I have nokia x6. Personall i think iphones are the bollox but couldnt justify the extra coins when my nokia does near enough the same. And the camera is superb.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]its funny how people with i phones are loyal and wont contemplate any other and vise versa. I have nokia x6. Personall i think iphones are the bollox but couldnt justify the extra coins when my nokia does near enough the same. And the camera is superb.

I tend to agree but I am justfying the extra coins with a student loan. Out of interest, why do you rate the iphone above a phone you obviously are happy with?
  • Options
    I have now acquired a HTC Desire and frankly it's been love at first sight. Anyone got any 'must have' app recommendations?
  • Options
    Voda fone Iphone 4 for sale16 gb drop me a private whisper if interested
  • Options
    i phone 5 out in Sept apparently.
  • Options
    Right, planning to get the iphone4 this weekend on Three's unlimited usage for £35 a month.

Someone give me a good reason why I'm making a huge cock up
  • Options
    3 is a rubbish network . Other than that there is no good reason
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]3 is a rubbish network . Other than that there is no good reason

I cant argue with that!
    just signed on a two year deal, I am theatening them with court to get out of the contract............Absolute crap signal 70 % of the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Right, planning to get the iphone4 this weekend on Three's unlimited usage for £35 a month.

1. Wait for the i phone 5 circa late August, available some time before Christmas!
    2. You will only upset 'Leroy'!
    3. You have 'two' good reasons not to be spending your money on toys like this!.
    Spend the money on a good holiday/break, you and your wife deserve it!........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worst network ever.

Get a Desire S or HD on Vodafone.
  • Options
    Hmmm, not what I was hoping to hear :-(
  • Options
    I wouldnt worry about the iPhone 5 though AFKA. I believe that you will be able to use the OS 5 on your 4 and you wont miss too much. perhaps the further much needed improvement to the battery. No idea about UK networks other than that round my Mums gaff in Eltham, all the networks are crap.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Right, planning to get the iphone4 this weekend on Three's unlimited usage for £35 a month.

Awesome phone,and there's no reason not to get one at the moment but in 2 month's time when the new one comes out, you 'll probably wish you'd have waited. (although there is also some debate over if it's going to be introduced in June like the last 3 models, or later in the year for the Christmas rush)

On the other hand - the new one won't be THAT different - not sure how much you know about them but this one will be very much evolution (i.e iphone 3g to 3gs) rather than revolution (i.e. iphone 3gs to iphone 4). Indications are that the new one will probably look similar, but have improved insides and a slightly better camera.

The thing to do with iPhones is to get them near to launch on a 2 year contract, miss one new model and then get the next new one when your contract runs out.
  • Options
    Not bothered about that next model, I'm normally about 2yrs behind the curve with technology, and 35 a month is my ultimate maximum, which the next model won't be.

Coverage is my only concern, but I'm 99% in London and if you're going to get a decent 3g coverage anywhere, surely its there ?
  • Options
    I would look at getting a Desire S (HD is rubbish for battery) or a dual core phone (future-proofing) than an iPhone, it's going to b outdated soon and I personally think it's too gimmicky and focussed on apps etc. and the actual 'phone' part of the phone suffers as a result.

35 quid is good value, but it's 35 quid for a reason (Phone soon replaced, 3 suck ass)
  • Options
    I know 3 people who have owned phones on the 3 network and one person who bought their web and walk dongle.

All commented that they never ever got a 3g connection on the network. The girl who lived in Gravesend couldn't get a signal ever!. I have seen the web and walk dongle in action in sidcup and you might as well have used a 56k dial up modem.

If you order it online Vodafone are doing the Desire S for free on a £30.00 per month contract. 600 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb browsing.
  • Options
    Cheers Clem. Was attracted to the unlimited web, as that's pretty much all I use phone for. Will 500mb cover regular browsing, you tube and the occassional bit of bbcplayer ?
  • Options
    Never known anyone to go over, when I spoke to O2 they said the only reason it was brought in was to stop people using their phones as modems for their laptops.
  • Options
    Never known anyone to go over, when I spoke to O2 they said the only reason it was brought in was to stop people using their phones as modems for their laptops.