Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Waggott to leave end of June - Confirmed

Just had a txt telling me Steve waggot has left the club....do not know any more at the moment...from a usually reliable source

Comments

• Options
    Who, what did he do then, how much did he get paid?? ;-)
  • Options
    Does Seth Plum know?
  • Options
    Can't say I'm surprised

Varney back in pls
  • Options
    Nothing on OS.

As Henry's always telling us, it can't be true until it's on the OS!

;o)
  • Options
    if this is true, he would have resigned as there's no way we pay him off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Nothing on OS.

As Henry's always telling us, it can't be true until it's on the OS!

;o)

Who needs the OS - my niece's second cousin's childminders Dad, well his brother is a goat herder in Tajikistan (where we have a huge following apparently) and he overheard Richard Murray talking to someone there about it whilst on holiday.
  • Options
    now on O/S
  • Options
    Worrying times for the Staff again.
  • Options
    The second coming of Reg?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Worrying times for the Staff again.[/quote]

Tell me about it my mates dad works there been crapping himself since the end of the season.
  • Options
    Charlton chief executive Steve Waggott will depart the Addicks at the end of June, the club announced on Friday.

Plc chairman Richard Murray said: "Steve, the board of directors and I have agreed that Steve will leave his role as CEO at the end of the month, but he will continue to assist me during the transfer window on reshaping the first-team squad for the forthcoming season.

"All the directors and I would like to thank Steve for all his hard work over the past two difficult years, and we wish him well in the future.”

Outgoing chief executive Waggott added: "It has been a real honour and privilege to work at Charlton over the past six and a half years, as chief executive of first the Charlton Community Trust and then the football club.

"Given the financial climate and two relegations in four seasons, it has been a difficult role to fulfil over the past two years, and we were all hoping that the club would get back to Championship status at the first attempt, which would have secured vital additional income.

"This didn't happen, and therefore in the current circumstances the club must restructure at all levels, including the executive level - so, following a series of discussions and meetings, a decision was taken by the board for me to leave."

From the start of July, managing director Stephen Kavanagh will oversee the day-to-day running of the club.

Waggott was appointed Charlton's new chief executive officer in late April 2008, when he succeeded Peter Varney in the role.

"Charlton is a great club, with loyal supporters and true community and family values, and I hope the club bounces back next season, returning to the Championship and progressing from there," said Steve.

"I would like to thank all the staff for their tremendous input and hard work while I've been chief executive."

Formerly the chief executive of the award-winning Charlton Community Trust, which he joined upon its establishment in 2004, Waggott previously spent five years as director of London Leisure College, which is based at The Valley.

Born in Newcastle, Waggott played for Newcastle Schoolboys and Northumberland County in his youth. He trained to be a PE teacher before becoming a physical educational lecturer at Woolwich College and has also previously worked as a sports journalist and agent.
  • Options
    Sounds like he was pushed, rather than he left of his own accord.
  • Options
    Good Luck Steve, took a lot of stick mainly from people who had no idea and never bothered to find out what his job was.

Was he blameless? No, but the slide at Charlton started long before he became CEO.

Now, can we start slagging of Steve Kavanagh. I don't know what he does, I've seen him smile once and heard he wasn't born in Floyd Rd so it all must be his fault. And yes, that was sarcasm in case you didn't get it.
  • Options
    I think its fair to say that most of us was expecting this to be announced at some stage. Don't like anyone to lose their job, but for the best of the Club it needed to be done.

Who got the bigger pay off, the Geordie Smiler or Moo2 ??
  • Options
    I can see this thread being a large one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Good Luck Steve, took a lot of stick mainly from people who had no idea and never bothered to find out what his job was.

Was he blameless? No, but the slide at Charlton started long before he became CEO.

Now, can we start slagging of Steve Kavanagh. I don't know what he does, I've seen him smile once and heard he wasn't born in Floyd Rd so it all must be his fault. And yes, that was sarcasm in case you didn't get it.

Sarcasm? But good reasons to call for his head none the less
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Sounds like he was pushed, rather than he left of his own accord.

I agree.

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Good Luck Steve, took a lot of stick mainly from people who had no idea and never bothered to find out what his job was.

I suspect we will never know the full extent of what he did and didn't do at the club but until these sorts of things are more transparent we never will.

I just hope Mr Varney returns and brings the good times with him too
  • Options
    Season Tickets sales must be well down...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't think anyone will be coming in to replace him, as Henry said Above Steve Kavanagh will probably pick up the slack with more work being put on to those who reported to Mr 24/7 I'd guess. All this Varney talk is just that. Next people are gonna say bring Back Curbs, Les Reed & Mervyn Day etc...time to move on people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As we dont have many insights to the the internal workings/job roles within the club, I am prepared to take on board the views of anyone who has worked/ does work there and may be able to comment on the role that was being performed by the incumbent. In this case there seems to be 3 people who fall into this category, 2 of which seem to be particularly scathing. I dont know if there is/was any particular personal agenda, but as someone else has stated - until there is further transparency, most people will judge on the snippets of information that they hear.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote][cite]

I just hope Mr Varney returns and brings the good times with him too[/quote]

That will be the Mr Varney who oversaw our relegation from the Prem and appointed Dowie, Reed and Pardew while signing JFH, Faye, etc.

Or maybe it's not always the CEO?

Anyway, as said sure this will be a long thread so enjoy.

Kavanagh Out.
  • Options
    Was certainly needed. Saying that I don't like to see anyone losing there job.
  • Options
    I'd love to say :Thanks for all the great things you did.You left the club in a better place from which you found it.

But unfortunately can't.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]

I just hope Mr Varney returns and brings the good times with him too

That will be the Mr Varney who oversaw our relegation from the Prem and appointed Dowie, Reed and Pardew while signing JFH, Faye, etc.

Or maybe it's not always the CEO?

Anyway, as said sure this will be a long thread so enjoy.

Kavanagh Out.

It's not just about the success - it was the fact that staff liked working for Varney, he's a Charlton fan and he brought more positivity to the club whereas the Geordie Smiler never seemed to strike that chord with the fans.

Don't know why - always seemed nice enough whenever i've spoken to him - but I'm sure there is a lot we don't know and probably never will
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Sounds like he was pushed, rather than he left of his own accord.

well, considering it says 'following a series of discussions and meetings, a decision was taken by the board for me to leave' I'd say that was the case wouldn't you !!
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned this is about numbers of people at a given level rather than personalities.

I have no idea as to whom is the most efficient and able of Mr Waggott and Mr Kavanagh and thus would not presume to voice an opinion on individual abilities.

However what I do know is that a financially struggling third division club was employing both a CEO and a Managing Director, presumably on salaries commensurate with such roles. That seems extremely top heavy to me when 14 lower paid people lost their jobs a year ago supposedly to save money and respond to the changing needs of a contracting operation.

One must assume that Richard Murray has now come to the same conclusion and has selected Mr Kavanagh above Mr Waggott for the CEO/MD role.
  • Options
    Am doing a sweepstake on Seth's 1st word on this thread............
  • Options
    Title says end of July, actually end of June according to the OS. Does say he'll be helping out during the transfer window though, so he could be around until the end of August.

As others have said, hardly unexpected, the club can't afford Waggot and Kavanagh.
  • Options
    It's a shame how a penalty miss ultimately affects people so personally.

Has Mr Kavanagh ever been to a supporters branch? ;-)