Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spain vs Switzerland

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]When I saw the result my first thought was that Leroy won't be happy!
    You were right. I'm not.
  • Options
    What a great game being Swiss and English am proud of what they boys did. I just saw that Del Bosque was b'tching about the way the swiss played and said there should be some kind of rule to have players too many players sitting in defense.... ahha what a pile of rubbish. Webb's referreeing was a bit dodgy especially towards the end of the game. Spaniards kept on diving when getting near to the penalty box and those 5mins extra time came from nowhere. Ah well good job the little Swiss. No looking forward to the French defeat tonight agains Los Amigos
  • Options
    Agree about Webb SE7, a couple of times the Swiss looked like breaking and he brought back the play for a Spain freekick. Some very one sided decisions in the last 10 minutes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]Spain should still qualify ok, but the real kicker for them is it may well set up a 2nd round game with Brazil

I do agree but chile will be no pushovers, be great if they go out in the groups... sorry Leroy but as it will give England more of a chance
  • Options
    Also distributing 3 yellows within 17 minutes of the end is ridiculous. Reto Ziegler who I know personally (73), Diego Benaglio (90) and Hakan Yakin (90) (Grichting 30min). Espana not one card.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Every one of those bookings was justified. the only one that was remotely contentious was Yakin's because, at first, it appeared to be for deliberate handball - but was actually for dissent. Spain didn't get any bookings because they didn't commit any fouls worthy of them. Hats off to the Swiss, who did a number on Spain just like Inter did on Barca. Del Bosque is a piss-poor tactician anyway and always has been - if he had any nous about him he would have switched to a 4-4-2 half an hour into the match when it became obvious the Swiss had no intention of even attempting to attack. At half time he could have taken Busquets off (who was pants, and completely unnecessary as a shield for the back four) and brought El Rubio on to give him more time to get into the game.

Still, let's hope that teams like Switzerland continue to do well despite being outshot 4-1, not playing attractive football and having about 6% of possession - because that's what's making this such a fantastic world cup so far, right?
  • Options
    Chile and the Swiss going through that would amuse me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Every one of those bookings was justified. the only one that was remotely contentious was Yakin's because, at first, it appeared to be for deliberate handball - but was actually for dissent. Spain didn't get any bookings because they didn't commit any fouls worthy of them. Hats off to the Swiss, who did a number on Spain just like Inter did on Barca. Del Bosque is a piss-poor tactician anyway and always has been - if he had any nous about him he would have switched to a 4-4-2 half an hour into the match when it became obvious the Swiss had no intention of even attempting to attack. At half time he could have taken Busquets off (who was pants, and completely unnecessary as a shield for the back four) and brought El Rubio on to give him more time to get into the game.

Still, let's hope that teams like Switzerland continue to do well despite being outshot 4-1, not playing attractive football and having about 6% of possession - because that's what's making this such a fantastic world cup so far, right?

lol nice rant, i for one hope whoever spain comes up against does well against them as i dont want england to play them!

I see what you mean, but people are always going to cheer for the underdog. Spain played some good football but not enough clear cut chances, but they did show all this crap about the ball is just bull as didn't see many if any mispaced passes and just goes to show how superior technically spain are to any others(although germany wernt bad the other day). I am loving the world cup at the momment, its a nice break from charlton and hasn't been as bad as everyones making out. i'd prefer this to teams like spain, brazil argentina & us all thrashing everyone every game, its not just about goals just the contetst and the first round of games were a tense affair but thats understandable mark my words it will get better and be good to get an underdog to quarter finals at least
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Still, let's hope that teams like Switzerland continue to do well despite being outshot 4-1, not playing attractive football and having about 6% of possession - because that's what's making this such a fantastic world cup so far, right?

I see what your saying Leroy but the games and entertainment value have been so shite that a major upset, as yesterday was, is all we've had to excite us. Plus it could well lead to Brazil v Spain 2nd round!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Chile and the Swiss going through that would amuse me.

Me too fingers crossed ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why would it 'amuse' you? What's funny about one of the best teams in thr tournament going out in the group stages, ensuring a shite side goes through to the knockout stages in their place? I guess you thought the Greeks winning Euro 2004 was awesome. Maybe you genuinely think the world cup would be better without Brazil, Argentina or Spain in the knockout stages. It's the same mentality that made people laugh about Barca getting beaten by a side who just chucked eleven men behind the ball a few months ago, and have a good old chuckle at Arsenal every year because their manager wants them to win games in an entertaining way. What really pisses me off about it is not that people seem to want a blood and thunder side to beat a technically good passing team - that would be fair enough and, let's face it, is exactly what we want to see when England play the likes of Brazil & Spain - but it seems to me that some people actively want a good, entertaining, attacking team to get beaten 1-0 by a bunch of skill-less tossers who don't want to play football. Didn't we spend about ten years moaning about the Italians doing exactly that?
  • Options
    1. I want England to get as far as possible therefore if Spain go out that helps.

2. As a neutral there is a natural tendency to support the underdog.

3. I've sold Spain in AFKA's game so, if I've understood the rules correctly, the quicker they go out the better!
  • Options
    ok - so do we want the best passing, pretty on the eye teams to come in at the top of league one, or do we want long ball, negative boring football (according to most posts on here) Charlton to go up?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]1. I want England to get as far as possible therefore if Spain go out that helps.

2. As a neutral there is a natural tendency to support the underdog.

3. I've sold Spain in AFKA's game so, if I've understood the rules correctly, the quicker they go out the better!

exactly this well said len

Leroy i do prefer to see attacking sides but would benefit england if they go out

As for Arsenal, i always cheer them on not because they are a team that likes to attack and plays good football, cos my dad is arsenal and i used to be! Barca everyone liked seeing lose probably only down to mourinho other then that everyone would have backed them.

Greece no i thought it was a disgrace they went onto win, but was backing them in the final still as they were the underdog, portugal put us out etc when england go out i will just root for the underdog as opposed to addopt another nation
  • Options
    when charlton played arsenal i didn't want arsenal to win cos of their superior football ......
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Why would it 'amuse' you? What's funny about one of the best teams in thr tournament going out in the group stages, ensuring a shite side goes through to the knockout stages in their place? [quote]

Because people are partisan, If England weren't in the tournament people I'd love to see a demonstration of the most free flowing, beautiful football that was a joy to watch. As it is I'll be celebrating every setback for a major team in the vain hope that somehow it might just mean that England jam there way through to the final and finally lift the trophy in my lifetime.