Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If there was a Charlton Life team, where would you play?

edited January 2007 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
As a yoof I always wanted to play up front and score all the goals, as we all do at that age when there's not much team play involved. But as I got older, and because I'm not the fastest, I appreciated more the passing player.

So, I'd want to be the creative playmaker in the centre of the pitch. Jensen-like, even the "old man Di Canio", spreading passes, dictating tempo: holding the ball up, racking up assists and goals. I fancy myself also as a bit of a hustler and a tackler tracking back, if I could get fit enough. A leader on the pitch and off. (Ha!)

Ideally, in terms of world players, a Gerrard/Cahill mix of all action passion, tempered with the intellectual play of a cultured athlete like Zidane.

Don't worry, feel free to dream!

Comments

• edited January 2007
    If I had to chose I would say RB. However, I would rather be a sub and organise the christmas and end of season do's!
  • see this thread:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3000&page=1

I might actually try and get a game organised before the end of the season.
  • Used to play in the middle of midfield - sort of just behind the strikers trying to put through balls through at any opportunity....

Now have been converted to a winger - left and right - because I'm fairly quick, decent touch, got an eye for a good pass, a fair shot. Unortunately I have a slightly unreliable final ball from wide areas.

So basically like Rommedahl (oh dear...), but a bit better in the tackle and in the air. He says....
  • Tricky, how's tricks? Good to see you at Christmas. Let me know if your playing down in Chislehurst or nearby again as me and Joe would love to come and watch you play.
  • wherever the manager picks me to play - i'd just be happy to put on the shirt - i'd even play in goal if dave storry is not available.

If not up front
  • If You need a roy of the rovers just let me know.
  • Serious point. Charlton life team playing at the Valley for Football Aid Charity with a few former players doing some coaching/playing. let's make it happen. I'd pay for my son to be mascot and me to be manager!
  • Serious point,If It Happened might be able to pursuade my brothers combo who have played at the valley to play some music.
  • At 25 I was a useful left sided player now I would probably be left back...off the the pitch, but I guess I could be like a 25 year old again if I was offered the chance to play at the Valley
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Serious point. Charlton life team playing at the Valley for Football Aid Charity with a few former players doing some coaching/playing. let's make it happen. I'd pay for my son to be mascot and me to be manager!

As you say Henry- let's make it happen, i'd be very very suprised if there weren't a lot of us here who would pay to play, even if it was a small part- and would raise a lot of money for charity.

Without stating the obvious, what we'd need was the valley to be available.
  • Sponsored links:

• At my age Arfur yr welcome to have a share of the duties.

Be great to get a game on be it at the Valley or elsewhere, seems like there's a few interested.
  • Can girls play too please?
    I started a team at university, and played right midfield myself - lots more effort than skill, it has to be said! Tried to model myself on Bryan Robson, but probably closer to Matt Holland...if only!
  • at the valley.
  • I can see a rebirth of Charlton Internet FC, Worldnet champions, South of The River tournament champions and now mainly defunct :-( (Oakster, if you read this...when did we win Worldnet, 2002??)

FYI - if anyone is interested, Worldnet is a UK wide tournament, 11 a side, made up of fans clubs teams playing in a two day event in Leeds. First day is groups to decide if you're cup or plate, second day is knockout...usually won by Hibs or Boro (they take it very seriously) and a bit of a turn up when we won it as we only had a 12 man squad and we'd had a heavy night on the beers on the Saturday before starting the knock out phase... Attracts teams from Milan and Lens too and great fun. Lots of ex CIFC on here....and used to be generously supported by the club and it's directors in terms of cash for a tournament we used to put on to raise funds for British Heart Foundation (reffed by Arfur!)
  • Great ideas guys... we need to look more into Football Aid perhaps (I don't know how that works... I'll look it up), or something we do more as our own thing?

Though I was intending this to be a bit of fun, so put down where you'd play if your skills were a match for your imagination ;-)
  • edited January 2007
    Always wanted to be a striker & started off & ended there. Was moved into midfield @ school after one good game pre season. Stuck there for a while as I always chipped in with goals & was one of the only players on my team that could read a game.

Late teens ended up playing as a defensive midfielder (god knows why, I'm hardly the Claude Makelele type) & was top scorer, the manager finally saw sense and stuck me up front. Ended up being league top scorer by over 15 goals, signed up for a Sat team & started earning from it! Injury shafted me & now stuck playing Sunday mornings, bagged about 19 in 10 this season.

CharltonLife game though? Where do I sign?
    I warn you though, I'm like Romm, a tad lightweight. So dont go calling me a useless c*nt ;)
  • Me? I always played right back.
  • Played centre midfield/sweeper/right back as a kid.

Curbs would have loved my inability in various positions.
  • Centre Mid / centre Back for me.
  • Goalkeeper,

Division 3 Orpington and Bromley league and top of course!!!

Fancy myself as my idol, obviously the great dane Peter S.
  • Sponsored links:

• am willing to turn out anywhere, but these days more than likely at centre half / left back or in the middle.
  • Center back alongside Hillsy for me
  • I've already had meetings with the Former Players Assoc and Football Aid who are very keen to get something organised but make it more interesting. it was available last year but you bought an individual place on a team so played with strangers. We thought it would be more attractive to have a team of mates plus some ex-charlton players (webster, Bumstead, Foley etc) and play the game at the Valley. What we need to get in a decent slot at the Valley ie a Weekend or Friday evening after the season ends.

Yes women can play, why not.

Sound like we could get two teams together. Reds v Blacks or whatever. You'd have to pay or get some sponsorship
  • it would be good padding both sides out with a couple of ex pros
  • Have played for best part of 20 Years now both Saturday & Sunday. Jacked in Saturdays at Semi Pro Level about four years ago. Now stick to Vets only footie. Still reasonably fit though. Primarily a libero or centre half, but happy playing anywhere in a back four to be honest.
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2007
    i'd play left back with marauding forward runs.

When i played at The Valley a couple of years ago, i really could not believe how big the pitch was (and we have one of the smallest!).

(probably be a weekday also so a day off work would be in order)
  • [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]i'd play left back with marauding forward runs.

When i played at The Valley a couple of years ago, i really could not believe how big the pitch was (and we have one of the smallest!).

(probably be a weekday also so a day off work would be in order)

Plus another five to get over it. :-)
  • Used to play RB or as a harrying MF. Just call me Kish!!
  • Anywhere other than the back four!
  • up front.. better than hasselbaink!!!

;0)