Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Well you know my views on booing...

And unfortunately the way journalists work is they pick a position and then try to drive it home as hard as possible..

yawn..
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I agree with the sentiments of the article, though, like the players in question, it's a little more pretentious than perhaps it need be. Shite paper though.
  • Options
    I dont like England or Englands players, ive just fallen out of love with them... the old days are well gone for me, the peak being Lineker, Gascoigne, Pearce, Beardsley, etc.. I liked those guys...

And then the new crop of scholes, beckham, owen, etc all good....

But now weve got these blokes who I actually dislike...

BUT I still stand by the no booing, your coming to an event where the outcome is ALWAYS uncertain.. although the perfromance was poor we are supporters and its not a pantomime...

and it aint gonna do any good, Id think "f*** ya then" just like rooney did...

Theressomething going on, Capello is trying to play them in a way that I think isnt gonna get us anywhere, he needs to free them up a bit next game.. but to be fair we looked devoid of ideas...

Oh well we will see..
  • Options
    I agree 100% with mascot
  • Options
    I don't boo at Charlton games. I don't like booing but I'd never be critical of somebody who booed. They've paid their money, they've shown there support and they have a right to be disgruntled. How else do these people get their point across?
  • Options
    The point is already made, I remmber seeing Matt Holland leaving the Valley after wed been knocked out the cup by Liecester when we were in the Prem, he was on his own and he kept shaking his head, these players, all players know when they have put in a poor shift, or it just hasnt worked.. They seem to be underspecific instructions that dont seem to be working...

Getting your point across, well going to a sporting event is almost like a gamble, if you win your over the moon and would prob pay three times the money for the joy, and happiness and the week you have after and the hope and all the positive things.. When you lose its terrible, you feel bad, all negative etc... Booing is like asking for you money back, on a bet you lost fair and square, particularly when you are supossed to be helping these players...

I will be critical of booers, they have paid there money, but they definately arent showing their support, they are the opposite of that.... counter productive, as again was illustrated by Rooney..

In my view its counter productive, actually results in a wedge driven between player and supporter as clearly illustrated by Rooney, and its only the English so far as well which I think is telling...

Any I wont clog up the forum Ive been very vocal about this subject before.....
  • Options
    Gutter journalism dressed up in flouncy language. Any good points are ruined by it's desire to spark frothing rage. It's designed for a reaction rather than any sort of balanced viewpoint on the situation, kind of like everything the Mail does. It's very convenient being a journalist in that you just innocently pretend that you observe events without having any effect on them

"If Cole heard it, then he gave no sign. Instead, he opted for a string of lazy platitudes which struck an offensive note on such a night. Asked about the match, he replied: ‘It could have been worse but we pick ourselves up and get ready for Wednesday, which is a big game for us now.
    'We’ll have to play a bit better than we did today.’"

Do you know why he doesn't say anything of note? Because there's a pack of journalists waiting for a single slip of a word, and hence the players are media trained into bland obscurity. If Cole had said anything at all, even something basic like 'the formation was wrong', then the Mail on Sunday would have been the first to splash a COLE SLAMS CAPELLO or COLE RAGES AT TEAM-MATES headline across their front page. The players always say bland things, even if we win 5-0. I'm guessing that Collins doesn't laud them for their modesty when that happens in the same way he's now slating them for their perceived 'swagger'. He knows how football interviews work, and reading any significance into it either makes him a moron or disingenuous.

And what's with the fawning over Algeria? They put in a good shift and limited us well, but it's hardly like it was a 70/30 possession masterclass on their part. Saying "The control was instant, their enterprise delightful" is just sticking the boot further into England for the sake of it, rather than being an actual reflection of events.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]Gutter journalism dressed up in flouncy language. Any good points are ruined by it's desire to spark frothing rage. It's designed for a reaction rather than any sort of balanced viewpoint on the situation, kind of like everything the Mail does. It's very convenient being a journalist in that you just innocently pretend that you observe events without having any effect on them

"If Cole heard it, then he gave no sign. Instead, he opted for a string of lazy platitudes which struck an offensive note on such a night. Asked about the match, he replied: ‘It could have been worse but we pick ourselves up and get ready for Wednesday, which is a big game for us now.
    'We’ll have to play a bit better than we did today.’"

Do you know why he doesn't say anything of note? Because there's a pack of journalists waiting for a single slip of a word, and hence the players are media trained into bland obscurity. If Cole had said anything at all, even something basic like 'the formation was wrong', then the Mail on Sunday would have been the first to splash a COLE SLAMS CAPELLO or COLE RAGES AT TEAM-MATES headline across their front page. The players always say bland things, even if we win 5-0. I'm guessing that Collins doesn't laud them for their modesty when that happens in the same way he's now slating them for their perceived 'swagger'. He knows how football interviews work, and reading any significance into it either makes him a moron or disingenuous.

And what's with the fawning over Algeria? They put in a good shift and limited us well, but it's hardly like it was a 70/30 possession masterclass on their part. Saying "The control was instant, their enterprise delightful" is just sticking the boot further into England for the sake of it, rather than being an actual reflection of events.

Spot on and endemic across all areas of Journalism be it football or the genocide of the Palestinians.....

and now you cant actually be a journalist unless you acopt these specific rules...

Hence he can go f*** himself...
  • Options
    MASCOTT,

I see where your coming from, however you say booing is not supporting the team?? Correct but travelling to a country that is hard to get to, expensive to get to, very dangerous and to do so in big numbers yet again IS SUPPORTING THE TEAM.
    Backing the team for the full 90 mins, despite the poorperformance IS SUPPORTING THE TEAM.

Thousands turning up again on Wednesday and backing the team for the full 90 mins WILL BE SUPPORTING THE TEAM.

When else can you get your anger and frustration at such an appaling display out. Players are wrapped in cotton wool these days and booing at the end of the game is the ONLY WAY for some.

Christ, the Italians would be tryting to get at the players down the training ground, yet ours can't hack a few boos - pathetic.

You also see things shen you are at the game (as you should know) that you don't see on telly. I was in Ukraine last October for a game that mean noting in the end. We faced provocation in the streets out there. I suffered a broken rib in Kiev the night before the game, when our small group were ambushed. Nearly 3k England travelled for that game (Dnipro is not the easist place to get to either), we sang out hearts out for 90 mins. England were shit and we lost. There were no boos, but all but 3 players walked straight off at the end without a thought for us.

Fans don't forget things and these boos were probably as much about the performance in one game, as they are about the fact that these current players are so out of touch with normal life and normal people, that for the first time I can remember, I actually detest a good number of the players.

I support the shirt and not what's in it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]MASCOTT,

Christ, the Italians would be tryting to get at the players down the training ground, yet ours can't hack a few boos - pathetic.

I was going to post something similar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair enough thats your view on it....

And I think id respect the fans more if they actually got into the training ground and said a few home truths...

We have different opinions ...
  • Options
    Whatever you might wanna say about 'gutter journalism' - i know what you're getting at, and i hate the mail too - lets be really honest here. Hes right, isnt he?
  • Options
    I think this article is indeed spot on. People have slowly grown to resent the overpaid primmadonnas. From the premier league. As the salaries have become more and more unrealistic, so too has our expectations. The two are linked, As the players expect more and more, then so too do the fans. And hence their reaction. Nowadays the frustration results in booing, eventually people will start to turn their back on the game, in fact the worm may have already turned. Many people who I spoke to in the lead up to this world cup couldn't get too excited about the worlds greatest football event. The same thing has already eroded the magic we all used to feel about the FA cup. A malaise has crept into our game fuelled by greed and stoked by resentment.
  • Options
    Spot on Telnotinoz. After the first 20 minutes on Friday it had all become so bloody predictable, so I switched over the the US Open golf and spent an enjoyable couple of hours watching real professional sportsmen all trying their very best for every minute they were on the course.
  • Options
    It looks like our current WC campaign is going to crash and burn and in a way I'm relieved.

I'd have trouble recognising this group of prima-donnas as genuine world champions.

Look at the squad:
    Glen Johnson - stole a lavatory seat from B&Q
    Ashley Cole - thinks that being offered £55,000 a week is an insult.
    Steve Gerrard - beat up a DJ and should have been convicted and jailed for the assault, but got off with a jury consisting of scousers and no doubt an excellent legal team.
    John Terry - 'nuff said.
    Wayne Rooney - sums up everything that's wrong with the way the premiership and Sky money has wrecked football. Mopes around the pitch, permanently petulant and despite the game making him incredibly rich he can't bothered to put in a shift when things aren't going his way then slags off the fans who understandably have a genuine grievance.

I feel sorry for Capello, everywhere he's coached he's won trophies, he comes to England and has to work with emotionally retarded players who haven't matured socially beyond the age of 14 and has the job of trying to turn them into a coherent and succesful team.

Someone needs to explain to the England squad that winning a tournament takes hard work, dedication and forging a genuine team spirit and ethos and that means leaving the ego's behind. Not much to ask for once every couple of years is it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]It looks like our current WC campaign is going to crash and burn and in a way I'm relieved.

I'd have trouble recognising this group of prima-donnas as genuine world champions.

Look at the squad:
    Steve Gerrard - beat up a DJ and should have been convicted and jailed for the assault, but got off with a jury consisting of scousers and no doubt an excellent legal team.
    John Terry - 'nuff said.
    Wayne Rooney - sums up everything that's wrong with the way the premiership and Sky money has wrecked football. Mopes around the pitch, permanently petulant and despite the game making him incredibly rich he can't bothered to put in a shift when things aren't going his way then slags off the fans who understandably have a genuine grievance.

I feel sorry for Capello, everywhere he's coached he's won trophies, he comes to England and has to work with emotionally retarded players who haven't matured socially beyond the age of 14 and has the job of trying to turn them into a coherent and succesful team.

Someone needs to explain to the England squad that winning a tournament takes hard work, dedication and forging a genuine team spirit and ethos and that means leaving the ego's behind. Not much to ask for once every couple of years is it?

Well said.
  • Options
    I applaud the fans that boo'd, why shouldn't they, after all they have been given a media made diet of how marvelous England are, they have spent a lot of money and time going there in expectation of all they have been promised and they saw a team serve up a performance devoid of skill, guts,ambition and teamwork. How else can they show their displeasure other than vocally?

Whilst typing this I am watching the New Zealand match - now there is a team that has guts, teamwork and good defensive skills.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]I support the shirt and not what's in it.

It's all about the laundry.
  • Options
    Cheeserolls has got tickets for the next England home game at Wembley, so he can boo till his heart's contented!
    That's forward thinking for sure!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]I dont like England or Englands players, ive just fallen out of love with them... the old days are well gone for me, the peak being Lineker, Gascoigne, Pearce, Beardsley, etc.. I liked those guys...

And then the new crop of scholes, beckham, owen, etc all good....

But now weve got these blokes who I actually dislike...

BUT I still stand by the no booing, your coming to an event where the outcome is ALWAYS uncertain.. although the perfromance was poor we are supporters and its not a pantomime...

and it aint gonna do any good, Id think "f*** ya then" just like rooney did...

Theressomething going on, Capello is trying to play them in a way that I think isnt gonna get us anywhere, he needs to free them up a bit next game.. but to be fair we looked devoid of ideas...

Oh well we will see..

This sums it up for me, nice piece mascot. I love the World Cup as a football showpiece but am utterly indifferent to the England team. These guys are largely the reason why.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]It looks like our current WC campaign is going to crash and burn and in a way I'm relieved.

Look at the squad:
    John Terry - 'nuff said.

Not doubting there are some awful human beings in our squad, but I think that can be distanced somewhat from them as footballers. Gerrard is a tit of the highest order but on the field he does give his all and he does care, I firmly believe that. Watching the Italy game just now and they seem to always be the most whining, cheating bunch of mugs around, yet they're world champions and have a fantastic tournament record. Maybe it's the bit of devil in the best players that help them get to the level they are. Whatever our tournament problems are (lack of bottle in my opinion, just like the Dutch) I don't think it has anything to do with them being awful people or Cristiano Ronaldo wouldn't be a tenth of the player he is.

Just a note on Rooney. I can't believe the view of him has changed so quickly from over aggressive hot head that can try too hard, to someone who 'mopes around the pitch' based on one, possibly two, games. That's a swing of viewpoint befitting a tabloid newspaper. I personally think his injury has more to do with it than some sudden change of character.
  • Options
    Agree on Rooney. He is one player who would still play even if he was only getting £100 a week.
  • Options
    Just had a glance at the guy's column on Rooney a few weeks ago. Unsurprisingly, back then he was going on about how Rooney is 'walking in the footsteps of giants'. Seems it didn't suit to berate him for being a prima donna back then

And look at his reaction to Rooney delivering boring media sound bites like Ashley Cole did:

"In all that time, he has produced not a single, memorable public phrase or insight; not, I suspect, because he is dull, but because he finds expression in actions rather than words. Over the past few weeks, he has muttered manfully when a microphone was unavoidable: ‘Do players feel jaded after a long season? Of course. It’s a long season for everyone ... This is an important time for us, we are trying to make sure we are ready for South Africa.’"

So Rooney "muttered manfully" whilst for Ashley Cole to do the same means he had the "foolish swagger of a pop icon". Why didn't he allow Ashley Cole to "find expression in action rather than words" (as afterall, Cole put in yet another decent performance as usual). Oh right, because it doesn't fit his rant.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm really not sure where the anti-boo'ers are coming from on this. What the effing hell did the team expect was going to be the reaction affter 180 minutes of absolutely inept football against the likes of Algeria? Would polite applause have got the message across that the team was not performing to anywhere near the level they should be? Someone has to tell this lot of underachieving, overpaid, cossetted, mummys boys that that was not good enough and quite clearly they've been surrounded by yes men and sycophants since their early teens and they aren't going to get it in the neck from most of the media either.

You're going to say that it's down to the manager of course, and that would have been true, 20, 30 years ago but these days players are 100% calling the shots and they'll just pay lip service to the 'gaffer' knowing full well that he'll be long gone before they are, unless their agent fancies a move that is...

Still fuming BTW, can you tell?
  • Options
    good post sussex addick.

If we win the next two games they will all be heroes again

Or at least until the next defeat.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Spot on Telnotinoz. After the first 20 minutes on Friday it had all become so bloody predictable, so I switched over the the US Open golf and spent an enjoyable couple of hours watching real professional sportsmen all trying their very best for every minute they were on the course.

Golfers aren't exactly paupers you know... And let's take a look at the world's no. 1 and no. 2: Woods and Mickelson. Are they pleasant human beings? In fact you could almost say they were spoilt primma donnas?

Sorry to be annoyingly sarcastic, but smugness about sports really winds me up.
  • Options
    I suddenly see it now. Englands over paid, over hyped prima donnas have played crap because the little loves are bored and don`t like their Multi million pound training facility. I was about to suggest they should consider reading a book but then thought better of it. FFS !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Are you a WAG Sussex Addick??
    Black Forest Red, Great Post,
  • Options
    Steve Gerrard does work hard, but is part of the problem - yes he gives 100% but how often does he try for the headline grabbing wonder-goal over far simpler passing moves that keeps the opponents playing defensively and chasing shadows and puts England in to stronger positions.

International football is generally slower than club football (and certainly English/British club football) and the emphasis is on being less physical with less haste and therefore more ball retention and the best sides carve open opportunities with patience. That I think is also why Rommedahl looks brilliant in international football, but couldn't hack playing in the Premiership. I also don't think that the Jubilani ball helps our style of play, when played on the deck it looks a good ball, but it deviates when played in the air and too much of our football is based on medium-to-long range passing and the ball isn't accurate enough in the air for that game.
  • Options
    agree with everything Sussex has said on this thread.