Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Slovenia

124»

Comments

• Options
    Still over-rated though
  • Options
    we get you dont rate england
  • Options
    I had Defoe and 1-0. 25/1, only a fiver though.

Thanks judas
  • Options
    8th in the world - you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Still over-rated though

Well if you think there's 'no way' they can beat Argentina then you underrate England. We're behind Brazil, Argentina and Spain but we're well ahead of the sides that really would have no chance.

We've never achieved much before, but neither have Holland. Doesn't change the fact that common sense says both sides have the players to do damage on their day. We're not the best side at the world cup by a long stretch, but we have enough talent to have a chance, and to completely dismiss that is being overly downbeat in my opinion. We wouldn't be favourites to beat Argentina, but chill out on the certainties. Allow yourself a little hope now and again ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]It was a very charlton performance, except we did not concede a Joe Cole OG in the last minute.

Just seen interview with Landon Donavon, now off to throw up[/quote]

What did he say?[/quote]

It was not so much what he said but way he said it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Superb faceplant from JT

He may be a bellend but he is comitted

That's the point I've been arguing for the last few days. Once again, it seems they're no longer overpaid prima donnas now that we've won

Nope, they very much still are but today they did something approaching what they should have done in the preceding two matchs.
  • Options
    I thought we were really good in spells today, Gerrard was exceptional, maybe the all red kit made him feel like he was back at Anfield, but his passing and drive was top draw, bossed the game in a way, that if he can do it again on Sunday, we'll be in the quarters. Lampard and Barry kept it ticking at pace, the wide combinations worked well, and Defoe gave us a goal threat.

We still look slow at the back, but happier with Terry and Upson, then Terry and another, Johnson looks ropey still for me, tackles with the wrong foot and can be got at, and the keeper position looks sorted now.

All good and promising
  • Options
    Sorry but I'm still not convinced.
  • Options
    One of USA, Uruguay, S Korea or Ghana will be in semis. I think we've missed a great opportunity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]One of USA, Uruguay, S Korea or Ghana will be in semis. I think we've missed a great opportunity.

have to agree it would have been such an easier route if we had got the second goal to go top of the group .....
  • Options
    Yup, tournaments can be decided on such small margins. One goal and we're looking at facing Ghana and Uruguay and probably on route to that hallowed semi final slot. Now, it's a big ask (although still not an impossible one)
  • Options
    If we reach the semis now, at least we will have earned it.

After scrapping through the easiest of groups, now is the real chance for the so called golden generation to prove themselves. As much as it would have been great to have got Ghana and then maybe Uraguay but this way, England now have a challenge and will be able to take real pride if they get past the Germans and then probably the Argies.
  • Options
    At least we'll now be playing teams who believe they can beat us and will attack. The question is: will we expose them for it?
  • Options
    Fecking Landon Donovan!!!

If Rooney had put that chance away then we'd have won the group.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sorry but I'm still not convinced.

Is anybody really? (except Valleygary)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Fecking Landon Donovan!!!

If Rooney had put that chance away then we'd have won the group.....

Don't blame Donovan. The fact is that the USA had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Slovenia (2 points lost) and then again today again. They deserve to win the group and we don't. Good luck to them I say.
  • Options
    BTW, Rooney is clearly unfit.

He got outpaced twice by the Slovenian right full-back in sprints for the ball - no way that would have happened if he was properly fit.

Many thanks for SAF for wrecking him this season.
  • Options
    missed opportunity today, didn't see it as I was working but listened on the radio.We will rue not getting the second goal
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]If we reach the semis now, at least we will have earned it.

After scrapping through the easiest of groups, now is the real chance for the so called golden generation to prove themselves. As much as it would have been great to have got Ghana and then maybe Uraguay but this way, England now have a challenge and will be able to take real pride if they get past the Germans and then probably the Argies.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

We could beat Slovenia, Ghana and Uruguay and get to the semi finals before losing to Brazil, and say that was a successful tournament, but reaching the semi finals isn't necessarily a great achievement by default. A lot of teams with a fair wind can get into the semi finals (someone like Turkey for example have done so) and what really matters is either winning it, or short of that having some special wins against the big sides. I could be wrong, but there may be some Germans who have better memories of the 2006 world cup where they beat Argentina and pushed Italy all the way in the semis, than the 2002 where they limped past Paraguay, USA and Korea to make the final.

Beating the Germans would be something special and to be remembered, whilst churning out a win against Ghana would just feel like job done. Even if we went out to Argentina in the quarters it wouldn't feel quite like 'just another awful quarter final exit' as we'd have beaten Germany on the way.

Then again, it's balancing a smallish chance of ultimate glory (beating Germany and the Argies) against a good chance of some glory (cruising past some weaker sides to the semis), so it's a difficult one.

Maybe it's best to hope for the best chance of winning it, but for me the world cup is as much about the big moments along the way as the overall result. In some ways it's nice to have a crack at Germany, because the payoff will be so huge if it goes right that it's perhaps worth the greater chance of misery. Bring 'em on I say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

ive never needed convincing. Always knew we were a good side. Slovenia came out and played and that suited us. We have never been the type of side to break teams down when they have 11 behind the ball. Thats why i think we will do better as the competition goes on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

ive never needed convincing. Always knew we were a good side. Slovenia came out and played and that suited us. We have never been the type of side to break teams down when they have 11 behind the ball. Thats why i think we will do better as the competition goes on.

Agreed. Cup football now and different kind of pressure now. Glad we got Germany as although they are a better team I would have seen ghana or serbia as a more difficult game to play ie they would have stifled us more. Germans have lost one already and ghana had plenty of chances yesterday so nothing to fear.
  • Options
    Just like to blow a big raspberry to the posters on page 1 of this thread who said that Milner & Defoe wouldn't make a difference :-)
  • Options
    So, Gary, I said 8th, you didnt reply
    Im as gutted as the next fan, but at least I have a grip on reality
  • Options
    fuck off
  • Options
    Yes it is painful when blind faith in the nonsense printed in the papers turns out to be mis-placed.