Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mike Flanagan

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
Anyone know what he is up to these days? Think I just saw him in Eastcheap.

Comments

• Options
    saw him not so long ago at goals b/heath, still puffing out his cheeks and he wasnt doing anything!
  • Options
    Used to be a painter and decorator, I think.

I always felt it was a great pity he had that bust up with Lennie and left the club.
  • Options
    Great player, one of my all times.
  • Options
    Flash Flanagan....a legend in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Was coaching at Margate a fews ago - has put on a few pounds since his playing days and still has a full head of hair albeit completely grey

great player - remember putting his picture on the dartboard when he signed for the stripey Nigels though
  • Options
    pretty sure it was him now, got into a P A Finlays van, grey hair, a few pounds extra, still a legegnd!
  • Options
    It was somehow totally Charlton that the two best players we had for years (Flash and Killer) ended up slugging each other on the pitch. Remember giving eye-witness accounts to everyone at school and being bollocked by a teacher because I had an exam the next day and should have been in revising.
  • Options
    I used to sponsor his socks.
  • Options
    I remember when he first came from Tottenham and played on the wing; wasn't an immediate favourite; took a couple of seasons to blossom in the centre. Maybe a bit like Waggy? Lets hope.
  • Options
    Like Waggy......

Are you being serious?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved that old Bukta kit (no badge, just Club initials, notice?) that Killer and Flash were wearing.

The old Covered End in the background .....every time we scored, we'd do a right old knees up singing "Knees up Muvver Brown". Happy days!

It just ain't quite the same these days. *eyes glaze over and goes all wistful like*
  • Options
    Also a legend in New England, for his one season with the Tea Men when he outshone Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, Trevor Francis et all.

Flanagan, Colin Powell, Lawrie Abrahams.

The reasons I started following Charlton in 1978.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Loved that old Bukta kit (no badge, just Club initials, notice?) that Killer and Flash were wearing.

The old Covered End in the background .....every time we scored, we'd do a right old knees up singing "Knees up Muvver Brown". Happy days!

It just ain't quite the same these days.*eyes glaze over and goes all wistful like*

And note the boots. Proper Adidas 2000 (I think)
  • Options
    also agree with Oggy my fav kit of all time had teh home and the yellow and sky blue trim version of it
  • Options
    I loved them boots, simply the dogs doo dahs, also had a few US shirts, a rathe rtight fitting Detroit Express one I recall.
  • Options
    It was him, just saw him again this morning and had a chat, nice bloke, as descbribed a full head of grey hair and a little heavier than in his heyday, but then who is not?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    He was at the game yesterday and I had the privilege of speaking to him for about an hour with some other Addicks. His family had brought him to the Valley as part of his 60th birthday celebrations.

In terms of his career he said his biggest regret was that he was not allowed to play for Eire because of his earlier England Youth Caps.He accepted that there had been too many good players in his way for a full England call up although he was proud of his 2 B Caps.He also said he would have loved to have joined West Ham when he left the Valley because he liked the way they played football.

In terms of Killer he said that Nelson had basically said to them one of you go near post and the other go far and that the service that Peacock and Powell gave them on the wings made their job quite easy,he clearly still felt that team could have achieved more if we had been sounder in defence and more creative in the central midfield areas although he accepted that this was probably due to the entertaining way that team played.

Flan didn't bear Hales any ill will and said they had both recently been at golf days together although he joked that no one has had the courage to pair them on the course.He said the fight was just one of those things.

We spoke about his legendary hat tricks against Chelsea and Spurs and he wished that they had been captured on video and that he could have played in the current stadium.

Moving on to his second spell we spoke about how close he came to scoring at White Hart Lane in the last minute,he said that Paul Miller had got too tight and done a good man marking job on him,we then spoke about the battle of Stamford Bridge when Flash was Lennie Lawrence's number two.

He commented that earlier that season he had needed to 'have words' with Maxi and Garth Crooks because he had felt they were coasting after their time at Spurs.Flash said that after this they had been model pros.

In all it was great to meet him and the only thing that spoilt my day was our second half performance.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Great stuff RJ, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    Flash was a legend. Cheers for sharing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cheers for that Richard.

such a shame that those games were not filmed.
  • Options
    You forget how little was filmed back when he was playing, it must be frustrating how many great goals and moments were completely ignored by the world, because there were no cameras there, the videoing of every game didn't come in until the late 80s I recall?
  • Options
    The season we went up at Selhurst he was brilliant, one of my favourite players.
  • Options
    class act mate a steady old head , amongst the young un's like stuart & lee. Loved his goal that season away to Norwich on boxing day although we lost the celebration when he scored was different gravy.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

The season we went up at Selhurst he was brilliant, one of my favourite players.

We did talk about that season at Selhurst in which he helped us get promoted to the old First Division.

He said that Lennie Lawrence did not offer him a contract to play in the top flight the following year and he moved on to Cambridge but surprisingly Lawrence asked him back as a coach a year later.

• Options
    Loved the way he rolled in that late equaliser at Hull in front of us in the 85/86 promotion season. Late April and an important point, although I do recall someone on CL not being too happy on the coach home afterwards (thought we would blow promotion)!
  • Options
    Thanks to @grahambustertutt for mentioning the Cambridge United historical site 100 years of Cocnuts in his book .

I love these types of site and I have looked on it for some info on players who played for both clubs .

Flash ended his career with a few games at the Abbey Stadium and this article which I suspect is based on a programme article tells of how he landed at Cambridge . Did Lennie really only offer him a contract at 50% of his salary ? It also tells the story of his fight with Hales .

Category: Mike Flanagan - 100 YEARS OF COCONUTS
  • Options
    That 2-2 sticks in my mind cos a Charlton fan just had a piss on the terrace rather than go to the bogs next to me , dirty Cnut ............
    I’ve never forgiven my mum for that .

that was a great loop and the goal right in front of us 
    This was the 1 1 game mate. The 2 2 game was a few years later. @Tavern drove is for that one and we left a few minutes before the end when we were losing 1 0. We were winning 2 1 by the time we got back to the car, put the local radio on just in time to hear that they’d equalised.