Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paddy McCarthy - Don't open if you're not interested :-)

Palarse have named him as club captain and he signed a new deal keeping him there until 2013.

To all those who don't care, wait for it, please ignore.

I personally am a little surprised, although they have lost Derry of course.

Comments

• Good for Paddy!

I liked him, good 1st ball CB. I thought he had the right character and attributes. Just needed quicker feet.

Very effective playing alongside the right 2nd ball CB ......with a bit of pace and who plays on his toes.
  • Not surprised at all.

Great title.
  • Rubbish player. Had a few good games. But he was a rubbish player.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Rubbish player. Had a few good games. But he was a rubbish player.[/quote]

Did better for us than his replacement Hudson
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Rubbish player. Had a few good games. But he was a rubbish player.

Do I get the impression Paddy Mac didn't quite cut it in your eyes, Chunesy .....?
  • I quite liked him. Much prefered him to Hudson.
  • Honest pro at Championship level or lower.

He dropped a major ricket very early on in his second or third game for us away at Stoke and then got roasted at The Valley (not in a Carlton Cole way!) by that Charlton favourite Kevin Lisbie.

The guy was never going to live that down even with a tolerant, benevevolent set of fans like ours!

I wish him well. He wasn't a waster like so many of the Pardew era.
  • Congrats Paddy!
  • I thought he was harshly treated, thought he was an okay player myself. Wholehearted and prepared to get stuck in.
  • Always gave 100%. If we had only had a few of those when we got relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Rubbish player. Had a few good games. But he was a rubbish player.

Do I get the impression Paddy Mac didn't quite cut it in your eyes, Chunesy .....?

Just another complete donkey that wins over the fans due to a 100% attitude. I don't doubt he had a good spirit about him. But that doesn't change the fact he's a rubbish player. That's my take anyway.
  • That's what I love about Charlton Life. Two years down the line and in my mind Hudson and McCarthy have fused into the same man so that there's no way I could tell them apart, and here you guys are talking as if you really do remember them. Another gin anyone?
  • Bloody good player for league 1 (hee hee)
  • Made to play at rb - bad game and ignored by 'that manager' until he had to play ahim.

Good and honest after that.

Should not have been sold.
  • Big favourite down Selhurst, as others have already said, he's a good honest hard working defender who commits to every tackle.

It's just a shame he seems to have picked up a troublesome shoulder problem which pops out now and again.
  • Klub to Oggy!

As far as I remember everyone loved the walkabouts and slated McCarthy. Can't remember too many fans liking him. Only one of three players that Pardew signed who busted a gut to get into defensive holes left by his teammates, and Pards then essentially swapped him for one of the other ones in Hudson. Sure he was embaressed by Fuller and Ebanks-Blake, but as always where was walkabout Youga and Sodje and talkabout Boughera?

Defenders need to operate in a line together, not his thought Pardew thought teams were free radicals who don't defend or assist. For Ebanks-Blake's goal just remember where the lb and other cb were? Oh yeah nowhere to be seen so Paddy had to do all the work in a lb sized chasm. Goes into an organised team that plays a compact formation and suddenly he's better than Hudson. What a surprise? Good luck to him.
  • Not a very good player but a great attitude. Reminded me of Phil Chapple (who probably scouted him). Was glad we got rid tbh.

I knew he was a mistake as soon as the Leicester fans came on here laughing their asses off that we'd paid money for him. That was followed by Crewe fans chuckling at the money we'd thrown at them for Varney. Another good attitude/poor execution player. Typical Pardew signings.
  • I liked him, definitely better than Hudson. Still can't forgive him for that cock up against Sheffield Wednesday where him and Randolph conspired to throw the ball in our net. Only saw it live, so couldn't tell you whose fault it was but shocking all the same.

Met him with my Palace supporting cousin in Beckenham the other week. Typical Irishman, literally every other word began with an f and would be bleeped on tv. Can't see many of his interviews being on the Football League show this season....
  • Yeah nothing more us Irish like more than cursing every chance we get.
  • Better than Hudson but very average Champs player. Oh Rufus, where are you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Met him in O'Nells Blackheath 2 days after Ebanks Blake done him at The Valley. Was nice enough and admitted openly he should have done better.

Liked him as a player though, we certainly should have kept him imho.
  • I thought he was alright too. He was a classic example of a player that everyone decides is rubbish before he even plays a game and then the stupider elements of our crowd start getting on their back straight away....then we act surprised when they go somewhere else and do OK.
  • [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Yeah nothing more us Irish like more than cursing every chance we get.

I must have some Irish in me fooking blood!
  • [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]I thought he was alright too. He was a classic example of a player that everyone decides is rubbish before he even plays a game and then the stupider elements of our crowd start getting on their back straight away....then we act surprised when they go somewhere else and do OK.

Indeed. And people forgave Bougherra, who was terrible at defending (although he has since improved), just because he could dribble a bit.
  • edited July 2010
    I am surprised that none of you have commented about the Number 1 team in South London coming out of administration successfully - complete with ownership of the ground, wealthy fans in charge and we managed to extend the contract of our 20 goals+ midfielder we picked up on a free from someone.

Happy days at SE25 - how are things your way?
  • On the up thanks, check out the RM thread.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Not a very good player but a great attitude. Reminded me of Phil Chapple (who probably scouted him). Was glad we got rid tbh.[/quote]

Have to agree Vin....was better than Hudson though.
  • Excellent. Does this mean we may play you again? We were getting worried that your one-sided hatred thing towards us might die out.

BTW, Do you now sing 'Number 4 in South London', after you were beaten by AFC Self-Righteous?
  • [cite]Posted By: matt_himself[/cite]Excellent. Does this mean we may play you again? We were getting worried that your one-sided hatred thing towards us might die out.

BTW, Do you now sing 'Number 4 in South London', after you were beaten by AFC Self-Righteous?

Bored already.
  • edited July 2010
    I love you lot - you have a 25 page thread on when we go into Administration, many of you getting boners at the thought of us going bust, and yet when it is put back to you, you get all menstrual (see above).

Are you bored - no; are you bitter - yes.