Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Cavendish

Comments

• Options
    And to add, I hope everyone behind is ok, nasty looking crash
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Making things difficult for Quick-Step what with no other races lined up for him
  • Options
    Very encouraged by this. It’s not been the same since Cav was firing on all cylinders. 
  • Options
    Not looked at the Olympic Road Race course, but that couldn’t end in a bunch sprint could it?
  • Options
    Not looked at the Olympic Road Race course, but that couldn’t end in a bunch sprint could it?
    Wouldnt expect him to remain in contention...

• Options
    Wouldnt expect him to remain in contention...

It certainly doesn’t look likely from that
  • Options
    Not a chance. He wouldn't even get round. It'll be won by a rider like Alaphilippe, Roglic or Pgacar
  • Options
    Just seen it - that last 50 metre power is back - that's what's making the difference. That and the instinct he's always had to detach from the leadout and find the best wheel. That sprint was a mess - and this time two months ago, Cav would have been far enough back to get caught up in the carnage behind. This isn't a false dawn - he's back. Just have to hope that the Epstein Barr hasn't affected the top end too much. He can definitely win GT stages again - though need to see him against a class field to see where he is really. 
    The confidence is back too ... which is essential for him, he needs to believe. 
  • Options
    Just seen it - that last 50 metre power is back - that's what's making the difference. That and the instinct he's always had to detach from the leadout and find the best wheel. That sprint was a mess - and this time two months ago, Cav would have been far enough back to get caught up in the carnage behind. This isn't a false dawn - he's back. Just have to hope that the Epstein Barr hasn't affected the top end too much. He can definitely win GT stages again - though need to see him against a class field to see where he is really. 
    Cmon Leroy, dont do this to me... Dont give me hope!!

Noticed there arent many Mountain Stages in the Tour this year, is it one that'll favour the Sprinters more?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Noticed there arent many Mountain Stages in the Tour this year, is it one that'll favour the Sprinters more?
    Not really. There are a couple of grippy stages straight away in Brittany, which could be enough to soften the sprinters up so that the next two (pan flat) are messier than usual - which would suit him. There's another sprint stage after the TT, but then three bastards before the rest day. Stage after the rest day should be a bunch sprint, and then after the Ventoux stage there are a couple more - so probably six stages overall for sprinters.

It's a moot point anyway, Bennett is the man - no way Lefevere will run the risk of taking Cav as backup, IMO, because there's too much risk it'll cause unrest in the team. Better to send him to the Vuelta if they're going to send him to a GT. 
  • Options
    In his post race interview I think he said (he was wearing a mask so couldn’t hear too clearly) that the confidence is back, rather than the swagger. Which echoes what you’re saying. For me watching racing is 40% more enjoyable when Cav is in contention. He more than anyone got me interested back in 2009/10. It’s his passion for the sport that shines through. 
  • Options
    Pidcock in contention for a win at the moment.
  • Options
    Great result to cap a good day for British cyclists, looked very strong too
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    In his post race interview I think he said (he was wearing a mask so couldn’t hear too clearly) that the confidence is back, rather than the swagger. Which echoes what you’re saying. For me watching racing is 40% more enjoyable when Cav is in contention. He more than anyone got me interested back in 2009/10. It’s his passion for the sport that shines through. 
    That's the thing that always pisses me off with the 'Cav's finished, why is he sullying his legacy, he should have retired at the top etc'

None of them have ever ridden a race, let alone won one. They have no clue what it's like to love racing - I actually fear for Cav when he retires, because he loves it so much. I wouldn't be surprised to see him trying to replace it with something similar - he's already big mates with Cal Crutchlow, and being from the IOM, I reckon hell end up on the TTs 😬

Whatever - I've got ultimate man-love for someone who is so obsessed he'd probably end up rattling round Nat B races if it gave him the chance of racing and winning
  • Options

Not really. There are a couple of grippy stages straight away in Brittany, which could be enough to soften the sprinters up so that the next two (pan flat) are messier than usual - which would suit him. There's another sprint stage after the TT, but then three bastards before the rest day. Stage after the rest day should be a bunch sprint, and then after the Ventoux stage there are a couple more - so probably six stages overall for sprinters.

It's a moot point anyway, Bennett is the man - no way Lefevere will run the risk of taking Cav as backup, IMO, because there's too much risk it'll cause unrest in the team. Better to send him to the Vuelta if they're going to send him to a GT. 
    certainly hope he gets a GT after the awful three years he’s suffered 
  • Options
    Superb ... and he outsprinted Van Aert ... what a great future he has in front of him 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Could he be going to the Tour after all with Sam Bennett potentially injured?

Either way his Indian Summer continues

Came second in a photo finish the other week and has won once more again today

Won against better Sprinters compared to the Tour of Turkey as well

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/mark-cavendish-coy-on-tour-de-france-inclusion-after-belgium-tour-stage-win
  • Options
    Yes.... But... Ewan was almost binned in the sprint and didn't contest it. He's head and shoulders above Cav and Merlier. If Bennett is injured, however, Cav is in form and a better bet than Ballerini - provided he sticks on Morkov's wheel rather than trying to freelance. Expect salary would be the sticking point - he'll be under an absolutely massive amount of pressure to win if Quickstep take him - and I think Lefevere knows that and wouldn't want to take him on an entry level salary.

Still, whatever happens, it's great to see him win against good class of opponent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes.... But... Ewan was almost binned in the sprint and didn't contest it. He's head and shoulders above Cav and Merlier. If Bennett is injured, however, Cav is in form and a better bet than Ballerini - provided he sticks on Morkov's wheel rather than trying to freelance. Expect salary would be the sticking point - he'll be under an absolutely massive amount of pressure to win if Quickstep take him - and I think Lefevere knows that and wouldn't want to take him on an entry level salary.

Still, whatever happens, it's great to see him win against good class of opponent.
    Entry level salary definitely the issue but has already stated he will talk to Cav about it.  
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Entry level salary definitely the issue but has already stated he will talk to Cav about it.  
    Do the riders have to be on a certain salary to enter the Tour then?

I noticed Cav said in one article that he was on a minimum contract and that if he went to the Tour they'd have to re-negotiate but I presumed that was on the basis of Cavendish wanting more if they wanted him there
  • Options
      Minimum contract for UCI World Tour teams, not for specific races. 

His only chance to win in the TDF is the third or fourth stage.  Ewan will be too dominant after that and I'm afraid a 26 year old recovers better for the third week: notwithstanding he's hugely better in the mountains than Cav ever was.  Coupled with the second rank sprinters like Colbrelli and Nicozolo looking in phenomenal form, you're taking a guy who's got two chances and possibly won't make it to the first rest day.  Would love to see it, but can't imagine Lefevre would make that decision.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
      Minimum contract for UCI World Tour teams, not for specific races. 

His only chance to win in the TDF is the third or fourth stage.  Ewan will be too dominant after that and I'm afraid a 26 year old recovers better for the third week: notwithstanding he's hugely better in the mountains than Cav ever was.  Coupled with the second rank sprinters like Colbrelli and Nicozolo looking in phenomenal form, you're taking a guy who's got two chances and possibly won't make it to the first rest day.  Would love to see it, but can't imagine Lefevre would make that decision.
    Agreed ... and yet I have a suspicion that he may well make that decision 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    It's a puzzler for Pat. Does he take a sprinter who has a legit shot at two stages in the first week, knowing that he'll most likely be cooked by the first rest day anyway, even if he does make it into week 2... Or does he take Ballerini - who will definitely make it round, but has less chance of a sprint win than Cav, even if he's got more stages to have a go at?

If course, he probably doesn't give a shit really - DQS aren't a grand tour team, despite flirtations with it. It's the classics they care about, and whilst it's nice for free hen to have Alaphillippe, Evenepoel and (until this year anyway) Almeida as GC riders or stage hunters extraordinaire, I get the feeling it's just a bonus for him. That's why I think Cav might have a chance of going. 
  • Options
    By god I didnt expect it when they said Sam Bennett was likely to be fit.

But Mark Cavendish is going to the Tour!!

• Options
    So pleased to be wrong, and so pleased to see Cav at the Tour again.  Just never thought it would happen again after 2019.

How am I going to get to see the majority of Stage 3 & 4?  Let's hope GCN saves the day wherever I am.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    So pleased to be wrong, and so pleased to see Cav at the Tour again.  Just never thought it would happen again after 2019.

How am I going to get to see the majority of Stage 3 & 4?  Let's hope GCN saves the day wherever I am.
    They're flat. Don't bother with anything before 10km to go 😂