Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you was kid in the late 70,s or 80,s did you have?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeteF[/cite]

Oh now that takes me back, 10 years before that there was a little joke shop at the Tramshed end, I also remember Club Sports where I used to get the latest Subbuteo stuff...
    Was that the little brown shop just around the corner opposite the post office...?

I used to get my subutteo stuff from there too...
  • Options
    We were quite poor ? however poor was defined then? i inherited from my sister an orange chopper bike , always thought the rich kids had the grifters and the tomahawks! i certainly don't have red hair ( or have ever had it !) The tramshed , is it still going? i know my cuzz was in a band , and played there , went to see him , seemed cool back them if its still going now and not done up its probably a right old dump
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]782326445_77bef74663_o.jpg
    Found this old pic of Woolwich New Road, circa 1982...

All the old bike shops boarded up...

The picture brings back a lot of memories
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]We were quite poor ? however poor was defined then? i inherited from my sister an orange chopper bike , always thought the rich kids had the grifters and the tomahawks! i certainly don't have red hair ( or have ever had it !) The tramshed , is it still going? i know my cuzz was in a band , and played there , went to see him , seemed cool back them if its still going now and not done up its probably a right old dump
    The Tramshed, now quite transformed, is still there but everything else is long gone...

We used to go there in the mid 70's when it first opened, Hale and Pace were the resident funnymen long before they became famous on the telly...

Before it was transformed into a comedy venue we used to 'visit' it and recycle some of the lead...

One night my mates brother fell through the glass roof and was killed, was a very sad time for all....
  • Options
    Grifter, and I broke the twisty gear thing within a couple of weeks I think.
  • Options

I reckon that's earlier than 82?

Tavern, do you remember the Charlton fund raiser/charity night at the Tram Shed, about 86/87, memories fella.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

I reckon that's earlier than 82?

Tavern, do you remember the Charlton fund raiser/charity night at the Tram Shed, about 86/87, memories fella.

Yes DA9 Big time,

Also i am trying to remember what the boozer use to be called down on the right from the picture next to WA?
  • Options
    I thought it was late 70s?
    That volvo is on a 79 plate, so its got to be there or there abouts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]We were quite poor ? however poor was defined then? i inherited from my sister an orange chopper bike , always thought the rich kids had the grifters and the tomahawks! i certainly don't have red hair ( or have ever had it !) The tramshed , is it still going? i know my cuzz was in a band , and played there , went to see him , seemed cool back them if its still going now and not done up its probably a right old dump
    The Tramshed, now quite transformed, is still there but everything else is long gone...

We used to go there in the mid 70's when it first opened, Hale and Pace were the resident funnymen long before they became famous on the telly...

Before it was transformed into a comedy venue we used to 'visit' it and recycle some of the lead...

One night my mates brother fell through the glass roof and was killed, was a very sad time for all....

Use to see Hale & Pace in Tramshed on Sat Nights at this time!Foundations also known as at the time?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I thought it was late 70s?
    That volvo is on a 79 plate, so its got to be there or there abouts.
    Ha T.C.E First thing i looked at mind you 2 years later mine was PYO 495L!lol from the the original pic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Royal Oak??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The Royal Oak??

Fella its doing my head in,i think you could be right though!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]

Yes DA9 Big time,

Also i am trying to remember what the boozer use to be called down on the right from the picture next to WA?
    That was the Royal Oak, a very dodgy pub...
  • Options

Yes DA9 Big time,

Ha yes its come back,there use to be a pub on Helen St around the corner was that called the Bull fella?
  • Options
    Woolwich at Christmas.
  • Options

Yes DA9 Big time,

Ha yes its come back,there use to be a pub on Helen St around the corner was that called the Bull fella?
    If you mean the one in Vincent Street then that was the Bull, in fact I think there were two 'Bull' pubs and that one was the 'Big Bull', the other was just around the corner somewhere was nicknamed the 'Little Bull'...

The New Street pic must have been taken just outside of the Woolwich Catholic Club which was the scene of some of the greatest pub fights I've ever seen...
  • Options
    'grifter' in red, also in blue or silver, for xmas 80 when i was 9. went to halfords to choose it. £84.99. first and only new bike dad ever bought me. it was built like a tank and i hated how heavy it was, but it never broke. was sooo jealous when my mate got a mongoose that was about £250 with the mag wheels!
  • Options

Use to see Hale & Pace in Tramshed on Sat Nights at this time!Foundations also known as at the time?

Hale & Pace used to be teamed up with Joe Griffiths (ginger hair & beard) & Terry Morrison (I think his name was - always used to play Baker Street on the sax), they were called Fundation.

Me & Mrs were up on stage with them a few times - we weren't married then as only about 19.
  • Options
    you're quite right the weekend Fundation shows were also compered by local boy Phil Skinner....anyone remember him?
    Posted By: Tavern
    [quote]
    Posted By: RedZed333
    [quote]
    Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas
    We were quite poor ? however poor was defined then? i inherited from my sister an orange chopper bike , always thought the rich kids had the grifters and the tomahawks! i certainly don't have red hair ( or have ever had it !) The tramshed , is it still going? i know my cuzz was in a band , and played there , went to see him , seemed cool back them if its still going now and not done up its probably a right old dump

One night my mates brother fell through the glass roof and was killed, was a very sad time for all....[/quote]

Use to see Hale & Pace in Tramshed on Sat Nights at this time!Foundations also known as at the time?[/quote]

Hale & Pace used to be teamed up with Joe Griffiths (ginger hair & beard) & Terry Morrison (I think his name was - always used to play Baker Street on the sax), they were called Fundation.

Me & Mrs were up on stage with them a few times - we weren't married then as only about 19.

• Options
    I used to live just around the corner from The Tram Shed ( Helen St) back in 1981 - Never did go into the Shed bacuase i was too young then but i had a friend who played there in a band called Future Bodies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a Raleigh Europa racer from Ron Argents on Sidcup High Street when I was 13.Over the next four years,until I crashed it pissed up, I cycled with my mates all round Kent and on the longest run we got as far as Battle in Sussex on the hottest day of 1984.Walked like john Wayne for a week or two after that!
  • Options
    Subutteo in the footy season, Test match in the summer!

As for Bikes, wasn't allowed a chopper but got a woolworths version, broght yellow drag bike with full length gear stick. Later upgraed to a raleigh arena 5 speed racingbike
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    SUBBUTEO - The greatest table top football game the world has ever seen.
    What about the test match table top cricket game?
  • Options
    SUBBUTEO - The greatest table top football game the world has ever seen.
    No. This is the greatest table top football game the world has ever seen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEDFYS4y6g
  • Options
    I had a very similiar football game to that....except it had 11 little handles at each end attached to elastic bands underneath that operated the players leg, the ball bearing dropped into a slot and you pinged the handle to kick the ball...had a lot of fun until the elastic went....lol
  • Options
    Tomohawk (for about 3 weeks) until some pikey nicked it, Chopper x2.

Bought my first bike in over 30 years 6 months ago (mountain bike). Nothing better than going for a nice burn around the woods for a bit of exercise. :-D
  • Options
    I had Casdon Soccer, Logacta Chart Soccer, a cricket game that escapes me (bowling cards, batting cards, little white fielders, dice etc) and a Dragon 32 computer. Many happy hours wasted on that little lot.....
  • Options
    I got a red Tommahawk when I was 8.

Flew off the thing like Superman on first ride on Xmas morning!
  • Options
    Tomahawk, then a beautiful new silver Grifter (although how heavy were they?)