Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you was kid in the late 70,s or 80,s did you have?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Raleigh Burner. Pure quality.
  • Options
    My clueless Dad, who's lived in Oz since '71, came over to visit when i was 12, and asked what I wanted for my birthday.

He mis-heard what bike I asked for, and turned up with a Raleigh Shopper... and then refused to change it, because "that was what I asked for"!

• Options
    My clueless Dad, who's lived in Oz since '71, came over to visit when i was 12, and asked what I wanted for my birthday.

He mis-heard what bike I asked for, and turned up with a Raleigh Shopper... and then refused to change it, because "that was what I asked for"!

Hahahaha. Did it have three gears and a nice hinge in the middle?
  • Options

Hahahaha. Did it have three gears and a nice hinge in the middle?
    That's the one! At least it was brown, not the baby blue.. It's saving grace was it was ace for pulling wheelies on, so after 10 minutes of piss-taking my mates were all queueing up for a go! :)
  • Options
    I had a orange 5 gear tour de France brought from Hills cycle of Well Hall.Anyone remember the short cut down mudguards that people used to put on the race bikes ?
  • Options
    Diamond back and a mongoose
  • Options
    never understood the logic of those short race mudguards they did diddly squit in stopping the jet of water off the wheels....
    I had a orange 5 gear tour de France brought from Hills cycle of Well Hall.Anyone remember the short cut down mudguards that people used to put on the race bikes ?
  • Options
    Was never allowed to have a chopper as my Mum said I would do myself a mischief if I slipped and landed on the central gear-shift :o(
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJk6bkjgko
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    As a very young kid I had a Tomahawk, but the one I really wanted when I was about 12 was a Raleigh Vektar. They look ridiculous now.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2012
    As a very young kid I had a Tomahawk, but the one I really wanted when I was about 12 was a Raleigh Vektar. They look ridiculous now.

Jebus! I forgot all about those. I wanted the black one as it looked like StreetHawk, but there was no way I'd ever been allowed to get this. Stupidly expensive at the time, if I remember rightly? (but now, just plain stupid!)

Only in the '80's! :-D

• Options
    Now you mention it Stefco, the black version was well cool!

Yeah I remember my parents telling me I couldn't have one because they were the price of a family hatchback.
  • Options
    I had a metallic green Puch as my first bike with white grips and saddle, then a Halfords trackstar, not quite a racer or a bmx, wanted a grifter really
  • Options
    Budgie, Striker, Tomahawk (mid size between Budgie and Chopper) then a Raleigh Banana, which I still have now!
  • Options
    anyone have any photo's showing the old Excel cycle shop in Woolwich New Rd?
  • Options
    Eeeee. I were right about that saddle though......

Where've you been Bill? It's all gone off in the Street and you're nowhere to be seen!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Eeeee. I were right about that saddle though......

Where've you been Bill? It's all gone off in the Street and you're nowhere to be seen!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYZyUygW6Y

Advert filmed in Greenwich, if I remember correctly..
  • Options
    Diamond back gold bmx
  • Options
    you lucky sod! Was it red with white protective pads on it? After saving up years of birthday money I really wanted to get one of these, but my Dad said I should buy something that would last longer, so I ended up getting a Raleigh Ace from the Co-op in Woolwich. My feet barely touched the ground when I was on it! But he was right as I do still have the bike; an antique now.
  • Options
    Budgie
    Tomahawk
    Racer
    Mongoose BMX for 'Cowboy Land' in Blackheath.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Mongoose BMX for 'Cowboy Land' in Blackheath. "
    Don't foget the Blackheath Dips over the road..
  • Options
    I remember doing a hugely embarrasing nose dive on my Mongoose at those dips.
  • Options
    you lucky sod! Was it red with white protective pads on it? After saving up years of birthday money I really wanted to get one of these, but my Dad said I should buy something that would last longer, so I ended up getting a Raleigh Ace from the Co-op in Woolwich. My feet barely touched the ground when I was on it! But he was right as I do still have the bike; an antique now.
    The red and white one was the extra burner which I had. Lovely BMX that was
  • Options
    My first was a Budgie (shared with most of my family)

Then a Raleigh Eighteen. My Mum always wanted a girl but got me and made me pay for it.

I was also the proud owner of a wooden skateboard which was also shit and allowed me to be bullied further and at a much higher level.

I did have an Evil Knievel figure and bike, the mobile garage, Action Men a plenty (matchsticks for cocking Cindy dolls) and a Hornby 00 Gauge rail set including the Inter city 125 and the Flying Scotsman.

I need to go back to therapy now as all these memories have made me remember my awful childhood with shit toys. :-)
  • Options
    Racer with Cowhorns and nobbly tyres.
  • Options
    Didn't have cow horns, just turned the handle bars upside down.
  • Options
    ....doing a bit of research can anyone able post any pictures of the Excel Cycles and Blackett Cycles shops both in New Road Woolwich?