Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton sign up to FLi

Comments

• Options
    As long as either the money is used to keep some staff in a job or given to parky to sign a player or 2 then that's modern football I'm affaid no more room for sentiment or being 'unique' we all have to take as much as we can as often as we can. As long as we still have charlton life there always be a charlton...
  • Options
    money talks, it's no great surprise really - a shame, but if some keep their job as a result of it then it's been done for the right reason.
  • Options
    Grrrrrrrrr sold our soul.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't use the same generic style for every club, but if it saves money then there really is no contest.
  • Options
    Its only a website peeps, its not as if we've sold the valley and moved to milton keynes. Its a load of java script and images at the end of the day and not becomming mk addicks.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Its only a website peeps.
    Go to addickted then. ;-)
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    F*ck paying for anything
  • Options
    wss, please alert the other charlton life rulers for membership applications in the next few days from ackworth and gray... you have been warned....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]F*ck paying for anything

Just like in real life then eh Nath?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This sucks majorly, we could bring in some new income by remodelling the existing website. The fat is the FLi will take a cut for being the service host now, if we developed it in house there would be no cut to give up
  • Options
    Thank god for Charlton Life then....
  • Options
    The major problem for me is the decidedly haphazard partnership with BBC London. From commentators who don't actually describe the action, to commentators who can barely disguise their lack of interest in our matches, or cannot hide their utter distain for the job of covering Charlton. Then there are the commentaries that have a huge number of updates and visits to other matches. We also have the continual uncertainty as to getting commentary at all, someone can't be bothered to switch coverage on, or check that it is running problem free.
    I feel that the money I pay for CAFC player is worth it IF there are away commentaries, but I have no confidence at all that the service will improve....and Emma, save us save us from the commentator who simply can't/doesn't commentate....Emma dear you're supposed to be the eyes of those of us who can't be there, can't you do a basic job like that?
  • Options
    I will NEVER pay a subscription for a Charlton web site after they stole money off me on false pretences with the dreadfully Charlton player. THE worst excuse for a web site I have ever seen.
  • Options
    I´ll be waiting to see what they offer, before I sign up.
  • Options
    It's not like our current website is award winning and ground breaking.

Try getting updates on player stats during the season - non existent. I'm not sure what the objection of some people to this new website is, our current one has been woeful for some time. if this makes some revenue for the club, prevents someone getting laid off and imparts a bit more information about the club/players then it'll be worth it.
  • Options
    please dont let grey or acworth or skilland on here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: clive the addick[/cite]please dont let grey or acworth or skilland on here

I don't know who Skilland is but Acworth and Gray have been consigned to the CL dungeons.
  • Options
    You kids want to think yourselves lucky you don't have to spend hours on the clubcall telephone line racking up a huge bill to get some Charlton info.

Don't know you're bluddy born! ;-)
  • Options
    back in the early 90's i rung up a 15 quid bill thanks to mark mansfield promising news on an exciting new transfer target... plus having to listen through the whole version of the red red robbin was abit cheeky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The major problem for me is the decidedly haphazard partnership with BBC London. From commentators who don't actually describe the action, to commentators who can barely disguise their lack of interest in our matches, or cannot hide their utter distain for the job of covering Charlton. Then there are the commentaries that have a huge number of updates and visits to other matches. We also have the continual uncertainty as to getting commentary at all, someone can't be bothered to switch coverage on, or check that it is running problem free.
    I feel that the money I pay for CAFC player is worth it IF there are away commentaries, but I have no confidence at all that the service will improve....and Emma, save us save us from the commentator who simply can't/doesn't commentate....Emma dear you're supposed to be the eyes of those of us who can't be there, can't you do a basic job like that?......

Have to agree Seth, especially about the comments on the commentary.....I am sorry to say

Not the frst time I have lamented the passing of time fm and the service it gave to the club, I want biased, but informed passonate commentary.... not impartial luke warm indifference
  • Options
    Does this mean the end of club censorship as we know it...?
  • Options
    I shall wait to see the full extent and pricing of their offer before considering carefully and deciding not to subscribe.
  • Options
    A few points that don't seem to be fully understood - Fli is Charlton Player and Charlton Player is Fli. The only charging will be for Charlton Player, as AFAIK it will be the same price it is at the moment. The club will be able to put more resource into content to make it better value. The website itself will remain free.

The editorial content of the new site will be provided by the same people who do the current site. There is no reason to suppose its editorial values will change, although there will be lots of third-party adverts on the screen. The staffing resource won't change either.

It is not possible to make as much or more money outside FLI, because of the way the FL have packaged the rights. Whatever we charged for we would have to hand over a third to the FL of the total in order to be able to include commentary and/or match action and we would have to take on more cost. This is not about covering the costs of the site, it is about how much money can be brought in over and above that. That's the remit staff have been given.

It's never been disclosed because it couldn't be, but back in 2000 the Capital deal was worth over £1m to the club, of which two thirds was cash, whereas the club subsidised Millennium Radio coverage. We got more for our local radio rights than Manchester United did in Manchester at the time. It was silly money, even in the Premier League and, as events have proven, there was no guarantee that Millennium would be around in the medium term. That's why the deal was done, even though it had negatives. But it was only ever the commentary rights that were withdrawn from Millennium.
  • Options
    £1M!

Bloody hell, you wouldn't get £10.50 now...
  • Options
    I'm sure the site won't be as good but glad the right decision has been made.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I'm sure the site won't be as good but glad the right decision has been made.

With the same people at CAFC responsible for the editorial content I dont see why it will be any different, except that the website will look modern. As a club we have to start over again especially after the past few years so see it more like the beginning of a new era...A Fresh New Charlton Athletic

IMO this is going to be a winner for club and fans, we have to accept that the change will be for the better and move forward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I'm sure the site won't be as good but glad the right decision has been made.

With the same people at CAFC responsible for the editorial content I dont see why it will be any different, except that the website will look modern. As a club we have to start over again especially after the past few years so see it more like the beginning of a new era...A Fresh New Charlton Athletic

IMO this is going to be a winner for club and fans, we have to accept that the change will be for the better and move forward.

this 100%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I'm sure the site won't be as good but glad the right decision has been made.

again if this saves jobs it is for the better , but theres no disputing that the Fli websites are very naff and very awful.
  • Options
    It's never been disclosed because it couldn't be, but back in 2000 the Capital deal was worth over £1m to the club, of which two thirds was cash, whereas the club subsidised Millennium Radio coverage. We got more for our local radio rights than Manchester United did in Manchester at the time. It was silly money, even in the Premier League and, as events have proven, there was no guarantee that Millennium would be around in the medium term. That's why the deal was done, even though it had negatives. But it was only ever the commentary rights that were withdrawn from Millennium.
    Airman Brown..........

Thanks for the info, well they say money talks, unlike the present commentators who seem unable to give a good quality service to listerners who are unable to attend!..... That aside the commentries have been poor, and what we have now, is in my view, a poorer service in respect that Mark Mansfield and co offered a dedicated almost bespoke radio service to the Charlton fans. I appreciate the coverage may not have always been as wide and that the FL may well have had agreements in place, did not stop Bates at Leeds though did it!..... Obviously the financial argument was a massive inducement, but what we have had served up in the past year has not been good enough in comparrisson to what we had. I am not talking about the prem years, but the radio service as well as Charlton live with all it's faults, was a far superior service to the fan's who let's admit it are supporting the club now, and not departed for some other team. I appreciate it was not an easy clear cut choice, far from it!. We shall have to see what we obtain with the new season upon us, I will be listerning to the away games and hopefully receiving a better, informed service .