Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can you name the 34?

Comments

• With Ben Davisson, Lewis Perkins, Ishmael Demontagnac and Danny Haynes, we have too many.

Who are the errors?
  • What is wrong with Demontagnac look at wiki
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Wracking my brains, now ..... who's that guy at Ipswich, Danny Haynes?
    Yeah, Danny Haynes, mentioned him in the other thread.
  • [cite]Posted By: ellisaddick[/cite]What is wrong with Demontagnac look at wiki

Nothing, he's in the previous post. Anyway, you're supposed to try to remember, not look on wikipedia!

:-D
  • Does it refer to academy products who have played a competitive senior first team match either for us or elsewhere?

If yes then Pell, Davisson and Perkins to name just 3 wouldn't count.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]I wrote on the previous page about walker....Didnt even get any notice for it!

I thought of Walker god damn it!

Sorry!

:-o
  • I wonder if only players who've made a competitive 1st team appearance are included.

For example, Stav, Yussef, Tuna have all made a League or cup appearance.
    But Perkins, Mambo Rambo and Davisson have yet to do so....?

And the 2 guys in Scotland wouldn't currently count, especially Basey who is not contracted to any club.
  • I checked on wiki to see if he was still at Blackpool and he is and started career with us
  • [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]With Ben Davisson, Lewis Perkins, Ishmael Demontagnac and Danny Haynes, we have too many.

Who are the errors?
    Well Mambo, Tuna, Perkins, Jenkinson and Davisson only went pro this summer.

Rashid Yussuff no longer counts, he's at AFC Wimbledon.

James Walker and Osei Sankofa I think are still without clubs.

Who knows who Demontagnac counts for, could be us, Arsenal or Walsall according to wiki.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]especially Basey who is not contracted to any club.
    If this was at the start of June he would have though.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Does it refer to academy products who have played a competitive senior first team match either for us or elsewhere?

If yes then Pell, Davisson and Perkins to name just 3 wouldn't count.
    Just professionals, doesn't mention them making their debut.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I wonder if only players who've made a competitive 1st team appearance are included.

For example, Stav, Yussef, Tuna have all made a League or cup appearance.
    But Perkins, Mambo Rambo and Davisson have yet to do so....?

And the 2 guys in Scotland wouldn't currently count, especially Basey who is not contracted to any club.

Didn't Mambo get a run out at Hereford in the league cup? Maybe as a sub? Could be wrong though!
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Didn't Mambo get a run out at Hereford in the league cup? Maybe as a sub? Could be wrong though!
    Barnet in the JPT
  • edited July 2010
    Scott Parker
    Jermain Defoe
    Danny Shittu
    Paul Konchesky
    Michael Turner
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Jamal Campbell Rice
    Lee Bowyer
    Josh Wright
    Harry Arter
    Jason Brown
    Paul Smith
    Simon Ford
    Charlie Macdonald
    Osei Sankofa
    Kevin Lisbie
    Scott McGleish
    Barry Fuller
    Rashid Yussuf
    Jon Fortune
    Myles Weston
    Grant Basey
    Rob Elliott
    Chris Solly
    Scott Wagstaff
    Lloyd Sam
    Tamer Tuna
    Alex Stavrinou
    Yado Mambo
    Harry Pell
    James Walker
    Kemal Izzet
    George Boyd
    Darren Randolph

From this 34, there are a few that are debatable and another handful that could be added.
    Scoham's last few posts show how difficult it might get.
    I'm guessing a lot of the current Charlton youngsters are not in the list, but I don't know the exact criteria for it.
    I'm not adding any more posts now, but that was interesting.
    :-)
  • From your list, my good Lord, there's some real quality players and a lot of useful ones.

Who suggested our academy wasn't worth while....?
    Those who commanded a transfer fee ..... how much in total has the club received?

Also, I wonder what they are worth collectively now?
  • Soccerbase has the following fees

Scott Parker £10,000,000
    Lee Bowyer £2,800,000
    Jonjo Shelvey £1,700,000
    Paul Konchesky £1,500,000
    Jermain Defoe £1,150,000
    Danny Shittu £350,000

Michael Turner, James Walker and Jamal Campbell-Ryce all moved for undisclosed or nominal fees.

Sean McGinty fee was confirmed last year as £475k.

That adds up to over £18m in 15/16 years since the oldest player Lee Bowyer made his debut.
  • edited July 2010
    And didn't we get about £1M sell-on fee for Turner? And perhaps for Defoe too?
  • You're right I think we did get something for Turner, and that looks like it's only the initial fee for Defoe.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]That adds up to over £18m in 15/16 years since the oldest player Lee Bowyer made his debut.

So that seems pretty conclusive that the academy virtually pays for itself, without valleygold as an extra.
    We must keep the academy at all costs then
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]That adds up to over £18m in 15/16 years since the oldest player Lee Bowyer made his debut.

So that seems pretty conclusive that the academy virtually pays for itself, without valleygold as an extra.
    We must keep the academy at all costs then

Does rely on us unearhing a Spotty Parker once every ten years or so, though!
  • At least one of those has got to wrong because I'm sure Jlloyd Samuel came through our academy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scott McGleish is NOT a product of our youth system. As mentioned by another poster.

He did sign from Edgware Town, after having quite a prolific spell there. He signed for us for between £15k-£40k.

Get him orf the list!!!

J Lloyd Samuel did come from it though!
  • Out of interest ....what's the definition of home grown or coming through the Academy?

Take Arsenal or Chelsea, for example - they bring in loads of 16 year olds from Europe.
    Do these youngsters qualify as 'home grown' .......?
  • we signed scott mcgleish from non-league harlow town i think
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Out of interest ....what's the definition of home grown or coming through the Academy?

Take Arsenal or Chelsea, for example - they bring in loads of 16 year olds from Europe.
    Do these youngsters qualify as 'home grown' .......?
    Home grown is something different. New Premier League rules limit squads to 25 players, 8 being home grown.
    A home-grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).‬

If a player plays for 2 (or more) academy clubs, I'm not sure which club gets credit for developing him for this.
  • edited July 2010
    Does Defoe count? As he left us either before or at the age of 16, so he may count as West Ham.

edit: Just read the original thread
  • Stacy Long is playing for Stevenage these days - so he can be added to the list as well
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]Stacy Long is playing for Stevenage these days - so he can be added to the list as well
    Lawrie Wilson is with them as well, played for our u18s and reserves.
  • Shittu wasn't one of ours - we bought him in from some non league club and as above, same with McGleish.
    What about the boy that went to Fulham when we were relegated from the Prem - don't remember his name now...is he still about somewhere?
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Shittu wasn't one of ours - we bought him in from some non league club and as above, same with McGleish.
    What about the boy that went to Fulham when we were relegated from the Prem - don't remember his name now...is he still about somewhere?

Nathan Ashton

Was playing non-league but hasn't got a club at the moment
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Shittu wasn't one of ours - we bought him in from some non league club and as above, same with McGleish.

Shittu came from Erith Town