Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When football people die

Who have nothing to do with anyone on here or Charlton why is there a tsunami of RIPs?

Seems meaningless to me unless the person has some sort of effect on you, however tangentially.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]Who have nothing to do with anyone on here or Charlton why is there a tsunami of RIPs?

Seems meaningless to me unless the person has some sort of effect on you, however tangentially.

True, but no man is an island.
  • Options
    because some people want to pay their respects and mark someones life and passing perhaps
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I started the Adam Stansfield thread as he was a household name in our division, by all accounts a top bloke and respectable family man and he what's more, he terribly suffered from a strain of cancer that is unfortunately intertwined with my family's own past. Essentially his passing and the recognition of it is something both newsworthy and respectful.

Many apologies it doesn't sit well with you.
  • Options
    More understandable than starting a thread just to get a reaction.
  • Options
    Without wishing to sound corny, there is such a thing as the football family. We may hate other teams but there is generally a mutual understanding and shared common bond between most of the people involved in football, whether fans, staff, players or officials. That bond extends to expressing condolences at the passing of a member of the wider football family.
  • Options
    Well I replied to the Adam Stansfield thread because I lost a friend to cancer last year and have three others currently battling it. Also, there but for the grace of God... Sorry if you felt I was jumping on the bandwagon.
  • Options
    I have no problem with feeling sympathy for families and friends of lost ones in the football world. But I do find it strange that so may people say "Oh, this puts it all into perspective" - as though for the rest of the time they totally forget that death and disease and loss is happening everwhere, every day, and that they need some kind of reminder.
  • Options
    So some of the posters had connections then, most don't.

I didn't start the thread out of anything but interest as to why people do this.

Aren't all the threads started for a reaction? I don't want to upset anyone, I'm genuinely puzzled is all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]I have no problem with feeling sympathy for families and friends of lost ones in the football world. But I do find it strange that so may people say "Oh, this puts it all into perspective" - as though for the rest of the time they totally forget that death and disease and loss is happening everwhere, every day, and that they need some kind of reminder.

But you do don't you... human nature takes for granted. Human nature tends to treat every issue or dilemma that crops up as life or death. In that context, we often, well I do anyway and am sure the vast majority of others do too, don't stop a little to take stock and consider the misfortune and suffering of others. It might be a cliché to say these events put other problems/issues "into perspective" but I think it rings true.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The fact that someone has died is the context as far as I'm concerned. No I don't know these people but family members and people I've known and liked have died and that is more than enoough for me to console with any family suffering a loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]The fact that someone has diedisthe context as far as I'm concerned. No I don't know these people but family members and people I've known and liked have died and that is more than enoough for me to console with any family suffering a loss.

What if it's Kevin Muscat or Simon Jordan?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]The fact that someone has diedisthe context as far as I'm concerned. No I don't know these people but family members and people I've known and liked have died and that is more than enoough for me to console with any family suffering a loss.

De mortuis nil nisi bonum.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JorgeCosta[/cite]

Is that Portuguese?
  • Options

Is that Portuguese?

Latin; I'd guess that means "there's nothing good about death"?
  • Options

Is that Portuguese?

Latin - means do not speak ill of the dead.
  • Options
    Speak no ill of the dead actually - o level latin still with me.

I don't think I was speaking ill of the dead at all but wondering why there is the RIP reaction on here to those who, on the surface, have no connection to Charlton. And this has been partly explained.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]Speak no ill of the dead actually - o level latin still with me.

I don't think I was speaking ill of the dead at all but wondering why there is the RIP reaction on here to those who, on the surface, have no connection to Charlton. And this has been partly explained.

I only meant it in the context of your question about Jordan and Muscat (although they are obviously still alive).
    Speak no ill of the dead
    is a literal translation but not colloquial round SE London!
  • Options
    I think it does have an effect on you when one hears of the tragic death of a young man like Adam Stansfield for many reasons.

Speaking for myself I find it hard to understand and reconcile how a fit young man can play against us at The Valley and yet fall ill and die of his illness less than a year later. My oldest daughter is only a few years younger than Adam and that in itself gives me cause for thought and reflection.

The least I can do in those circumstances is say RIP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]I have no problem with feeling sympathy for families and friends of lost ones in the football world. But I do find it strange that so may people say "Oh, this puts it all into perspective" - as though for the rest of the time they totally forget that death and disease and loss is happening everwhere, every day, and that they need some kind of reminder.

In life it is easy to get things out of proportion, the defeat against Shrewsbury last night being a case in point, something like this starkly redresses the balance of what is and isn't important.
  • Options

Totally agree x 10
    I mean it's a charlton discussion board
    and if we're down in the dumps and miserable with our charlton life doesn't mean we don't realise in the general scheme of things it is not that important
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What JorgeCosta and LenGlover said.

Why even start a thread questioning it?! People just want to pay respect sometimes, let it be.

I've not posted on the other threads but feel genuinely moved by them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I started the Adam Stansfield thread as he was a household name in our division, by all accounts a top bloke and respectable family man and he what's more, he terribly suffered from a strain of cancer that is unfortunately intertwined with my family's own past. Essentially his passing and the recognition of it is something both newsworthy and respectful.

Many apologies it doesn't sit well with you.

Amen to that.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I think it does have an effect on you when one hears of the tragic death of a young man like Adam Stansfield for many reasons.

Speaking for myself I find it hard to understand and reconcile how a fit young man can play against us at The Valley and yet fall ill and die of his illness less than a year later. My oldest daughter is only a few years younger than Adam and that in itself gives me cause for thought and reflection.

The least I can do in those circumstances is say RIP.

And that.

I call it a mark of respect.
  • Options
    I think it is a reasonable question and one which my own brood might well have asked, albeit more privately. But none of them have children and I think that partly explains it.

As quoted above - 'Speaking for myself I find it hard to understand and reconcile how a fit young man can play against us at The Valley and yet fall ill and die of his illness less than a year later. My oldest daughter is only a few years younger than Adam and that in itself gives me cause for thought and reflection.'

Adams family must be shaken to the core with grief. How do you come to terms with something like this? Adam was part of a footballing fraternity to which we all belong and we respond as part of that fraternity, in hope that the outpouring of sympathy brings a tiny bit of comfort to a devastated footballing family. For many of us, it is a reminder of our own friends and family's misfortunes, it just touches a chord. In remembrance and recognition of many things, our hearts simply say RIP.
  • Options
    People deal with death in different ways, just be glad that you don't post on any wrestling forums, that can be very hard at times.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    There's different things. Some of it is just a reaction to shock, particularly in the case of the tragic death of a person that was too young to go, which I have sympathy for.

Part of it is grief tourism. Typing RIP on some internet forum about someone you have no connection to or even hurling flowers at Jade Goody's hearse doesn't equate to feeling the wrenching agony of losing someone that you care for and is no more a sign of empathy or respect than having a moment's quiet thought on the subject - maybe it's less. I'd personally not participate in it and do not really find it particularly tasteful, but I can't see any harm in it all.
  • Options
    What I find strange is the RIP threads started on here about people who 99.999999999999% of the population of the world have ever heard of. Just because some left wing writer from Canada or political activist from Africa has their demise reported in the guardian or Indepenant certain people on here need to post it. I would suggest that most of the time the poster will not have even have known of the said person but will gladly add some glib personal comments lifted from wicki or the like.
    All rather odd.
    Let's have a Top Five list of unknown dead people from Bromley!
  • Options
    Believe it or not but if any of Adam's family read this forum and see the CAFC fans showing respect i guarantee it will help them through this terrible time..to "iainment", you know that when a "RIP" is on a thread it is to do with a death so don't bother to read it :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]There's different things. Some of it is just a reaction to shock, particularly in the case of the tragic death of a person that was too young to go, which I have sympathy for.

Part of it is grief tourism. Typing RIP on some internet forum about someone you have no connection to or even hurling flowers at Jade Goody's hearse doesn't equate to feeling the wrenching agony of losing someone that you care for and is no more a sign of empathy or respect than having a moment's quiet thought on the subject - maybe it's less. I'd personally not participate in it and do not really find it particularly tasteful, but I can't see any harm in it all.

Spot on. You may feel the need or want to discuss the persons acheivements, what the effect of that loss may be, what they meant to you or just express sympathy to those personally close to the person but in the case of many of the RIP threads I don't really feel it's appropriate for me to post my own wishes. That's doesn't mean however that I am unsympathetic to the person loss though.
  • Options
    I posted the thread about Markus Liebherr more out of interest about the possible consequences it may have on Southampton's ownership. Considering they may be seen as our 'rivals', and in most people's eyes favourite for the league, I thought it was relevant to this site.