Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling United served with Winding up petition

http://www.wellingunited.com/newsitems.php?subaction=showfull&id=1281594357&archive=&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Comments

• Options
    So who did the runner?

Thats terrible. Feel like you want to help but we're in our own mess so what could we do ??
  • Options
    Surley 2 pints of fosters and 3 bags of cheese and onion from the Guy next door would cover the bill?
  • Options
    My son is a season ticket holder but currently in Costa Rica on the World Challenge. "Nice" surprise for hime to come back to!
  • Options
    They are at home saturday, I was thinking of going anyway but definately will pop along now.
  • Options
    As many people should pop along as possible on sat...
  • Options
    I'm definitely going, I hope they survive have very fond memories of going when I was a kid seeing Terry Robbins etc. Paul Gorman was a hero of mine at Welling & looked like Gary Lineker at that level.

HMRC should be going after the big fish IMO - Portsmouth getting away with murder last week, Palace and all the others.
  • Options
    Admin make this a sticky to get as many addicks as we can there on Saturday. With orien on the Friday I reckon we could get a couple of hundred bods down there.
  • Options
    When I was a kid, I used to watch Bexley United at Park View Road, with Charlton legend John Hewie as their player-manager.

Towards the end of the 70s, Bexley United were wound up, and for a season or so the grass grew long at Park View Road. Very sad to see the abandonment of the ground and the ghosts of time past.

A while later, Welling United took over the ground having over the years evolved from a local park side - and their climb to the Conference League, which they consolidated for many seasons 'punching above their weight'.

Echoes of Bexley United. It'd be such a shame for Welling if history repeated itself here..
  • Options
    Going Orient on Friday night and will be going to this on Saturday now. Would be good to get as many CAFC there as possible, with no game home or away it would be nice to take a couple of hundred as mentioned above.
  • Options
    it is a petition, not a winding up order
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Edited, but it's not a good state of affairs for them
  • Options
    For those of us who are uneducated, what's the difference between a winding up order & petition?
  • Options
    I think it will be fantastic if Charlton supporters go to the Welling game in large numbers.
    Brilliant gesture.

If you can, be there!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]For those of us who are uneducated, what's the difference between a winding up order & petition?

A petition is effectively a request to wind up.

An order grants the request. It is possible for the petition to be turned down or extra time be granted if Welling argue a good enough case.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]When I was a kid, I used to watch Bexley United at Park View Road, with Charlton legend John Hewie as their player-manager.

Towards the end of the 70s, Bexley United were wound up, and for a season or so the grass grew long at Park View Road. Very sad to see the abandonment of the ground and the ghosts of time past.

A while later, Welling United took over the ground having over the years evolved from a local park side - and their climb to the Conference League, which they consolidated for many seasons 'punching above their weight'.

Echoes of Bexley United. It'd be such a shame for Welling if history repeated itself here..

Being about 70 you probably remember Bexleyheath and Welling before they became Bexley United Oggy :-)

I got taken to watch Bexleyheath and Welling by my grandparents as a very small child and probably delayed my Valley debut by running around and generally messing about rather than watching the game!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cheers Len, doesn't make for good reading really, I hope they survive, I really do.
    According to Kent online, they owe a substantial five figure fee which although a huge sum of money, doesn't touch the sides of the £20-£30 odd million Portsmouth owed HMRC.

It would be great to hear that players like Steve Finnan & Andy Townsend who played for Welling were able to give something towards their cause.
  • Options
    They apparently owe a 'substantial five figure sum'

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/sport/2010/august/12/welling_future.aspx

I have great affection for Welling, spent a lot of time there when I was younger, mainly around the time they won the Southern League and still get to a few games. This season was looking a great prospect with Darts, Bromley, Ebbsfleet all in the division.

I was going on Saturday anyway but hopefully will see a few more through the gates. Good luck Welling.
  • Options
    Sad, my sisters boyfriend just signed for welling from our sussex county league. Had a big chance
  • Options
    I'm watching Bromley on Saturday but wish Welling all the best.
  • Options
    I know there's an element of "look after the pennies & the pounds will look after themselves" coming from the HMRC in why they're doing this, but is it really in everyone's best interests to chase a debt of under £100k to the point of extinction of a club like Welling whilst letting the bigger clubs get away with not paying millions?

They really need to re-assess their priorities. Yes, I know that all companies/clubs have to pay & should be treated the same, but they should at least go after the "criminals" (eg. Portsmouth's "image rights" payments scam) first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I know there's an element of "look after the pennies & the pounds will look after themselves" coming from the HMRC in why they're doing this, but is it really in everyone's best interests to chase a debt of under £100k to the point of extinction of a club like Welling whilst letting the bigger clubs get away with not paying millions?

They really need to re-assess their priorities. Yes, I know that all companies/clubs have to pay & should be treated the same, but they should at least go after the "criminals" (eg. Portsmouth's "image rights" payments scam) first.

Soft, easy target syndrome.

Portsmouth's case would be defended vigorously if only for the reason that other Premiership clubs are probably also "at it" if what Portsmouth have done is actually evasion rather than legitimate avoidance. There would also be political fall out if a "big" club in a large town like Portsmouth were driven to the wall effectively by the government in the persons of HMRC.

Far easier to pick off the soft non-league targets whom are unlikely to have the technical or financial wherewithal to defend themselves. Scarborough went a few years back and who raised a whimper? They are now battling their way back up the pyramid in a new incarnation.

We see soft target syndrome in life outside football too when the old bill go after motorists because there is money in it rather than pursue muggers and burglars of domestic properties which are of far more concern to ordinary law abiding decent people.

Anything for an easy life seems to be the motto.
  • Options
    who has welling got on sat?
  • Options
    has anyone been to any welling pre-season friendly's where Ben Billings has been playing?
  • Options
    Welling have got Hampton & Richmond on Saturday, 3pm kick off
  • Options
    Sad to see..... Clubs like Welling need to survive for the good of the local football.

Thought one or two of ther players looked good against us in the friendly, my lads played with a few of them in the past decent footballers,
    Christ this game is hard to break into anyway, loosing Welling is not going to make things easier!
  • Options
    I'll be there on Saturday
  • Options
    It was the court that let Portsmouth off the hook, not HMRC.
  • Options
    welling fans fight back..

Welling-Maidstone.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8329307.Hobbins__We_ve_already_paid___30k_of_Welling_s_debt/
  • Options
    a bumper gate on saturday sounds like it would help...