Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace offer Edgar Davids contract

2»

Comments

• Options
    Blimey Churley that is very enlightening.

I hadn't realised Palace's problems were all down to the nasty Agilo wanting some of the cash back that they had loaned to Palace. How dare they do that, surely they knew Palace was a not for profit charitable organisation who are set up to look after all the geeks/pikeys and weirdos in the local area once a week. if only someone had told Agilo their loan was considered to be more of a donation the whole situation could have been avoided.
  • Options
    So much for Palace's famed academy. They can use a 37 year old who hasn't played for 2 years instead.
  • Options
    He was a great player in his day. Particularly in that Ajax team, at Juve and when he went on loan to Barca for that half season and turned them round. But the pace went a long time ago. He's not the easiest man to get along with as team mates and co-commentators have discovered, so I'd imagine that he might struggle to contain his demons amongst less able players in less wonderful facilities than he's been used to.

That said if we signed him I'd probably be aprehenisvely excited.

It does all make you wonder about the whole admin thing. I wonder if 10 points is anything like enough punishment as several teams seem to have profited from it all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]He was a great player in his day. Particularly in that Ajax team, at Juve and when he went on loan to Barca for that half season and turned them round. But the pace went a long time ago. He's not the easiest man to get along with as team mates and co-commentators have discovered, so I'd imagine that he might struggle to contain his demons amongst less able players in less wonderful facilities than he's been used to.

Agree with a lot of this, but how much pace does a defensive midfielder in the championship need to have? Robbie Savage is still going strong and he must be about 36. Nicky Butt played quite a bit for Newcastle last season as well.
    Depends on his wages really but he might be worth it for 1 season just for his experience.
  • Options
    Davids, Davids, He likes a bird he likes a bloke ....

you get where im going with this.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Agree with a lot of this, but how much pace does a defensive midfielder in the championship need to have? Robbie Savage is still going strong and he must be about 36. Nicky Butt played quite a bit for Newcastle last season as well. Depends on his wages really but he might be worth it for 1 season just for his experience.Unquote[/quote]

Savage and Butt have never stop playing as far as I'm aware whereas Davids has been out for some while by all accounts, which is not a good thing to do at that age.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Posted By: McLovinAgree with a lot of this, but how much pace does a defensive midfielder in the championship need to have? Robbie Savage is still going strong and he must be about 36. Nicky Butt played quite a bit for Newcastle last season as well. Depends on his wages really but he might be worth it for 1 season just for his experience.Unquote

Savage and Butt have never stop playing as far as I'm aware whereas Davids has been out for some while by all accounts, which is not a good thing to do at that age.

True, i hadn't considered that. May 2008 was apparently the last time he played. Players are out of shape after 2 months off over the summer, so he's certainly got a lot of work to do!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Agree with a lot of this, but how much pace does a defensive midfielder in the championship need to have? Robbie Savage is still going strong and he must be about 36. Nicky Butt played quite a bit for Newcastle last season as well. Depends on his wages really but he might be worth it for 1 season just for his experience.Unquote

Savage and Butt have never stop playing as far as I'm aware whereas Davids has been out for some while by all accounts, which is not a good thing to do at that age.[/quote] never mind the chumpionship scholes is 36 and still going for the biggest team in the world!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]scholes is 36 and still going for the biggest team in the world!

We've signed Scholes!??!!?!?? MCS is gonna be FUMING.
  • Options
    Scholes is a different type of midfielder to Davids. Davids game was a lot about harrying and engine, whereas Scholes is about touch and vision. He is like the conductor for Man Utd and has enough young legs around him. Davids, like the Vieras and keane type of players go downhill rapidly after 30 whereas a Scholes type player (don't have many other examples in this country) can play on longer and arguably get even better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with Dan - Strachan, McAllister, Merson are other (not quite the quality of Scholes) examples off the top of my head.

Davids is well past it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Signs on a pay as you play deal.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10323~2128733,00.html

Why were you on the Palace website?!
  • Options
    Came through a BBC Sport person on Twitter...

Honest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Came through a BBC Sport person on Twitter...

Honest.

Closet Nigel if you ask me :-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Came through a BBC Sport person on Twitter...

Honest.[/quote]

Closet Nigel if you ask me :-)[/quote]

Think he should be flogged in the Lib tomorrow
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Came through a BBC Sport person on Twitter...

Honest.

Closet Nigel if you ask me :-)

Think he should be flogged in the Lib tomorrow

surely flogging is not a Liberal policy now, or is it...

:)
  • Options
    Lineker and Beardsley are wanting a game apparently.
  • Options
    He's 37 and hasn't played a game for 2 years! At least they did a pay as you play deal
  • Options
    Looks like we are after Gary Bailey & Les Ferdinand
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]He's 37 and hasn't played a game for 2 years! At least they did a pay as you play deal

He plays as often as Cory Gibbs did for us then!!
  • Options
    He doesn't look delighted with the deal, does he?

0,,10323~8987550,00.jpg

I can't help thinking a third administration is going to be in the offing for Palace sooner or later. "We'll sign up a big name to please our stupid fans, that'll bring 'em in..."
  • Options
    he looks like hes just swallowed a wasp...
  • Options
    It looks like he was asked does he want to play for a team in red & blue stripes, thinking it was Barcelona, he said yes. Oh, how wrong was he.
  • Options
    That's some forehead.