Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lost live music venues

The Black Prince thread has made me realise how many live music venues have disappeared over the years. I never went to the Black Prince, my older Brothers didn't want a kid around while they were on the pull.

Some of the now defunct venues I used to go to include

The Tramshed (Saw Albert Lee, the Blues Band and many others there)
Woolwich Poly (Wilco Johnson)
Lewisham Odeon (My first gig, Lindisfarne supported by an up and coming band called Genisis)
The White Swan Greenwich (Numerous local bands)
The Albert in Deptford (same)
The Saxon Tavern (Iron Maiden!)
The Dutch House (Angel Witch and other rockers)
The Roebuck in Lewisham (someone dragged me to see a C&W band!)
The old Downham Tavern (the venue at the back was call Bal Tabarin or something)
The Mitre at Blackwall tunnel (Traditional Jazz, saw Kenny Ball amongst others)
The Cartoon in Croydon (Steve Marriot)
The Greyhound in Croydon (Talking Heads)
The Rutland Tavern (The Nicky Moore Band)

I think a couple are still going.
The Rose of Lee (K T Bush!) still going as Southside!
The Tigers Head at Lee Green (Dumpys rusty nuts!!!) still has live music

Any others? Someone mentioned The Harrow inn on the other thread and I think the Welcome inn at Shooters Hill used to have live bands at one point.

Might make a good book for local historians.

Comments

• Its shocking, there used to be some great venues, The Tramshed was alaways good value saw the Stray Cats there, Lindisfarne, Spizz , loads of great bands, I saw Queen at Lewisham Odean on the Crazy Little Tour, amazing gig.. used to go and see a local roack band about 82 who I cannot remember the name of but always did a great version of Pink Panther theme....
  • I have gone misty eyed with the mention of The Tramshed on here and a photo on another thread.

As metioned before check out The Stray Cats - Run Away Boys on Youtube filmed at The Tramshed. Looks like similar posters on the wall to the photo in the bike thread.
  • [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]The Saxon Tavern (Iron Maiden!)

Don't suppose you saw Saxon at the Iron Maiden Tavern?!
  • [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]The Saxon Tavern (Iron Maiden!)

Or a Saxon Maiden at an Iron Tavern?
  • The Astoria & LA2(Mean Fiddler in it's latter days & in the same complex). - Charing Cross Road.
    I can't believe they knocked that down for the crossrail, & kept Centre Point instead. That has to one of the ugliest buildings in London, & all that history, gone! :-(

The Marquee - Wardour Street & Charing Cross Road Venues

The Falcon - Camden - Was the Barfly before that 'brand'/promoter relocated to the Monarch

The Laurel Tree - Camden - An early hub for all things 'Brit Pop'
  • The Astoria was one of my favourite venues.
    I saw some quite diverse bands there over the years, including Fatback Band, Wedding Present, Stiff Little Fingers and various club nights in the 80's.
  • [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]I have gone misty eyed with the mention of The Tramshed on here and a photo on another thread.

As metioned before check out The Stray Cats - Run Away Boys on Youtube filmed at The Tramshed. Looks like similar posters on the wall to the photo in the bike thread.
    You mentioning the stray cats.... Saw them at the Thomas A Beckett in the old kent road
  • [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]The Saxon Tavern (Iron Maiden!)

Or a Saxon Maiden at an Iron Tavern?
    lol, no, but I did see Saxon at the Camden palace
  • Dirty South is still going well.
  • Anyone remember the Black Cat nee Embers in Vincent Road? Not many well known bands, but quite a few American R & B bands...sometimes absolute rubbish, other times you'd be blown away...those were the days.
  • Sponsored links:

• I love dirty south in Lee just for the fact they will have a big poster in the window saying "KlAXONS" in massive writing then underneath in writing you need a magnifying glass to see "dj set"
  • the rainbow at finsbury park ( iggy pop, walked out he was crap, elvis costello )

music machine- camden town

lewisham odeon ( david bowie )
  • [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]the rainbow at finsbury park ( iggy pop, walked out he was crap, elvis costello )

music machine- camden town

lewisham odeon ( david bowie )

I saw Bad Company at The Rainbow and a music journo brushed past me on the way in - my mate said it was some guy by the name of Bob Geldorf - whatever happened to him, I wonder.

I saw The Who at the Lewisham Odeon with Kenny Jones on drums.
  • The Iron Curtain Club, St Mary's Cray. Saw the Small Faces there in 1965 and Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band in '66.
  • I think the Queen Elizabeth Hall used to stage more regular rock gigs than nowadays. Saw Stone the Crows there - front row centre. How close to Maggie Bell was that!
  • adsads
    edited August 2010
    the powerhouse at the angel and the, erm, goldsmiths tavern new cross, opera on the green, shepherds bush
  • edited August 2010
    I think the Queen Elizabeth Hall used to stage more regular rock gigs than nowadays. Saw Stone the Crows there - front row centre. How close to Maggie Bell was that!

Saw Rory Gallagher there.

Lyceum the midnight court : best venue in central London in the early 70s
    The factory : Leicester square, Ray Owen from Juicy Luicy there with Reg isadore,
    The Woodman Blackfen: Hamsters, my mates band the 'Hendrix project '
    Woolwich Poly: Saw Strawbs, Edgar Broughton, a version of Jethro Tull, ( apparently wings played there)
    Greenwich Town Hall: The Amen corner, UFO.

Obviously the Rainbow, Marquee and Hammersmith Odeon had some great bands.

Anyone who likes music this site is worth a check out.....
    http://www.feenstra.co.uk/

My mates band Sinnerboy are playing Old Dartfordian......
    Sinnerboy play Rory Gallagher on sat 30 October......

The DA5 Club @ Old Dartfordians RFC, War Memorial Clubhouse, Bourne Road, Bexley,
    Kent, DA5 1LW

Too old to rock and roll ...... too young to die.....
  • Tramshed - saw Climax Blues Band, Groundhogs (and Albert Lee)
  • That link looks very interesting Ken. Lots at the Beaverwood I could fancy going to.

Ads - Goldsmiths! Saw Slade in the early 80's, one of the best gigs I've EVER been to :) also Lloyd cole & the commotions.
  • Lyceum was my favourite.

Hammersmith Palais

Camden Palace

Unless they are still going/open again & I'm unaware.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Astoria for me is the biggest loss - great venue.
  • Hope and Anchor in Islington, the grimiest cellar in the world. It was effing marvelous...
  • edited August 2010
    Ahh - those were the days!

Tramshed - Loved this place, the band I was in at the time supported Climax Blues band, Wilco Johnson, Jackie Lynton, Albert lee, I think they used to get about 400 in there so got to play in front of a few peeps!! Kate Bush was at the bar one night, was introduced and just started dribbling!!! Great!!
    Also I was in Dublin in 89 went to a bar and Brian Downey from Thin Lizzy was playing drums, said hello and had a pint, he asked where we played, told him the Tramshed, he said that Lizzy used to rehearse at the Tramshed before their world tours, so our biggest gig and his rehearsal room, charming!!! Top geezer though.

The Mitre - More or less the same list as above.

The Albert Deptford, used to play there alternate Fridays and Saturdays, good sound for a boozer.

Played at The Father Redcap (Camberwell, if memory serves me right). Is that still going???

Played last year at The Dirty South, good venue.

I wish there was more live music venues, such a shame.

Great thread and has brought back memories!!! Apologies for the name dropping!!
  • Best thing I ever saw at the Tramshed was Fundation with an early Hale and Pace, always a joy....
  • PeteF - Used to see Fundation , Sundays they where on, great stuff!!
  • Fridays and Saturdays as well, their version of Bohemian Rhapsody with a pian, bucket of china and a vacuum was a joy
  • I remember it well, Gareth Hale sat on the bog singing My Way was a winner, 'to think I did all that....'
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Lyceum was my favourite.

Hammersmith Palais

Camden Palace - now known as KOKO

Unless they are still going/open again & I'm unaware.
  • Witchdoctor/Savoy
    Surrey Rooms
  • Rainbow - Ramones, Stiff little Fingers, Boomtown Rats
    Hope and Anchor - Stranglers
    Some place in Gravesend - Dr Feelgood
    Astoria - Stiff Little Fingers
    The Marquee - The Jam
    Old Wembly - Rolling Stones