Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mini Cabs

Comments

• Options
    All legit cabs are licenced by their local council or if inside London, the carriage office
    If you feel you have been overcharged first speak to the cab office, ask for a quote first then tell them what happened,
    if no luck there then go to the cabs licencing authority.
    IMO you were overcharged and would def look into it (If you can be bothered)
    I would say the top end fares at the moment are around the £2 a mile charge
  • Options
    I don't know any Indian cab drivers. I know plenty of Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Somalian, Nigerian, Sierra Leonean and English ones though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I don't know any Indian cab drivers. I know plenty of Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Somalian, Nigerian, Sierra Leonean and English ones though.

Do you hang around cab ranks or something? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I don't know any Indian cab drivers. I know plenty of Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Somalian, Nigerian, Sierra Leonean and English ones though.

That is the definition of mixed race. Crazy family tree situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: wwaddickson[/cite]

That is the definition of mixed race. Crazy family tree situation.

How long would the programme be, when doing " Who do you thing you are."?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]cabs 'taxis' up here (Solihull) are all run by indians who hardly know a word of english on top of that they ask YOU the directions of where to go which makes me think they share cabs and id's. On top of that they charge a fortune, its about 5 miles to the airport and they charge 15 quid ! rip off !
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]no racist assumptions from you then Andy : - (

I can't see it's racist to say Indians hardly know a word of English & they ask you the directions.

When I'm abroad a lot of foreigners can't speak English, that's a fact, not a matter of racism :-(

"All" cab firms are run by "Indians". All of them? Andy has done a survey no doubt. And are they Indians or are they Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans or even British Asians. But it's OK to just lump them all together.

And none of them can speak more than a few words of English? Andy has spoken to all of them has he? Of course not but if one or two do then that applies to all of "Them".

And they switch IDs and Cars. His evidence of this is what? Oh, yeah they are all "Indian" and they ask directions so it must be true. What more proof for a slur could you need?

Blimey listen to yourself. His comment was just generalising. If i say that most cab drivers outside the Venue at New cross are black and most of them don't know where they're going, does that make me racist?!
    I've got a couple of mates who live in Birmingham and i've been up there for plenty of nights out and to be fair Andy's not far off the mark with what he says. I can honestly say i bet you're the only person on this board who thought his comment was racist.
  • Options
    I fell asleep on the last train home once. I woke up in Gillingham and it cost me £70 for a cab back to Charlton.

I was gutted because I remember still being awake going through Westcombe Park yet still managed to miss my stop (and 20 others) before finally waking up in Gillingham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Zinedine Bagheri[/cite]I fell asleep on the last train home once

My father-in-law works around Liverpool st and 5 times in the last 3 years I've had to run down to Brighton to pick him up
  • Options
    Mini cabs may be licenced nowadays but a lot of them are still going to rip you off, If you can use a REAL london Black cab ( when in London) they will know the way and use a meter that you can clearly see.....

Colin in Thailand ..Retired ..London Black cab Driver.
  • Options
    When you pull up at your destination just get out and leg it!! It doesn't matter if they are Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Somalian, Nigerian, Sierra Leonean, White (whatever that is?) or any other ethnic minority I have not mentioned, if they are a lump they wont chase you!!

Or you could put the dough towards are new watch!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It should be £2 a mile with a minimum of £5.
  • Options
    HENRY - ,
    Im quite offended by you accusing me of being racist, even if I was its none of your business.
    I agree, this was a generalisation, im sorry but this is my upbringing in a non PC woruld, but NOT a racist post.
    Read Sidups msg, come up and have a see for yourself, I can introduce to my Asian pals in the local eatery who will gladly explain the 'workings' of the Taxi firms, its very very common for familys to share cars, and even more common for the driver not to be able to speak English very well.

Now lets flip your racist drivel , did you see chnl 4 last night ? 1st cousin marriages and genetic illness, the millions of ££££'s being spent by the NHS. The NHS tried to promote the issues around these marriages and having children. However the local 'community leaders' (by the way who is mine ??) accused the NHS of being racist and attacking the Islamic community and traditions. However, the NHS are allowed to point out obese people , smokers and drinkers, do you have any thoughts on this ?

Is giving medical advise that the concentrated gene pool gives a 1 in 4 chance of a serious genetic birth defect racist ? would you get on an aircraft if it had a 1 in 4 chance of crashing ?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Andy, if you don't want to be offended don't make sweeping generalisations (and yes that is racist) about ethnic groups.

Suggesting that ALL the INDIAN mini cabs drivers are breaking the law by using false identities solely on the basis of their knowledge of the local area is making a racist assumption.

You brought race in the debate, no one else. Maybe just think for more than two seconds and stop assuming that because your Asian "pals" (funny that they are Asian now not Indian) say it happens doesn't make it true for EVERY Asian driver.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: chris from Sidcup[/cite]Blimey listen to yourself. His comment was just generalising

No, you read what you just wrote.

Generalising ie making an assumption about all people in an ethnic group based on the behaviour of one or a few members of that group is just what racism is.

Should I judge all people from Sidcup on the basis of what you say? No that would be irrational and stupid. But accusing all cab drivers of an (badly defined) ethnic group of criminal behaviour is, as you yourself admitted a "generalisation" and so racist.

Thanks for proving my argument.

And don't give a toss if I'm the only one on here who thinks so.

Finally I didn't call him a racist I said he'd made a racist assumption. I can distinguish between the behaviour and the personality.
  • Options
    I'm against Black cabs.
  • Options
    Henry I'm with you mate - I hate ALL sweeping statements ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]Henry I'm with you mate - I hate ALL sweeping statements ;-)

No one could disagree with that : - )
  • Options
    for what my opinion counts on this board i think Andy has a right to be upset.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]for what my opinion counts on this board i think Andy has a right to be upset.

And I have the "right" to challenge racist assumptions when they are made on here.
  • Options
    Just because you have the right to do something, does it really make it the right thing to do?

It certainly isnt what the board is intended for (imo) and I imagine most reading it arnt really interested in reading it either, surely a whisper would be better, so you can get your point across without having to clog the forum up for everyone else?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    couldn't have put it better myself Stu - if things are well 'out of order', fair enough but....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Just because you have the right to do something, does it really make it the right thing to do?

It certainly isn't what the board is intended for (imo) and I imagine most reading it arnt really interested in reading it either, surely a whisper would be better, so you can get your point across without having to clog the forum up for everyone else?

I agree racist assumptions aren't what the board should be for.

Andy could have kept his to himself but he didn't.

Shame you decided to pick me up, and not via a whisper as you yourself suggested was more appropriate, and not the one who initiated the racial slurs but that's your "right" as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]Henry I'm with you mate - I hate ALL sweeping statements ;-)

I hated Dick Van Dyke's sweeping statement in Mary Poppins...
  • Options
    pedantic alert
  • Options
    Sink alert.

Boring.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Boring.

Too right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]for what my opinion counts on this board i think Andy has a right to be upset.

I didnt think Andy was one bit racist. Maybe people just like being to P.C now days. As someone said earlier all cab drivers are black out side Venue. I dont think I have every got into a white persons cab outside there, thats just the way it is.
  • Options
    Henry , nob off mate , YOU consider it racist no one else, folk who go around pointing out who is and isnt racist are usually the guilty party. Dont tell me what and how to post I've already said im not from the PC brigade !

"Suggesting that ALL the INDIAN mini cabs drivers are breaking the law by using false identities solely on the basis of their knowledge of the local area is making a racist assumption."
    1, where did I say ALL 2. how is this racist ? 3 if they were white what would i be then ? very foolish to have picked me upon this !!

Youve not answere my question re the Chnl 4 programe last night where the NHS WAS accused of being racist !

My Asian pals arnt Indian , they are from Pakistan , oh and my black pals from Hall Green , or do you want thier actual country of birth ?

One last point, most people from Sidcup ARE pikeys ! lol !
  • Options
    I'm from sidcup, not a pikey yet find I'm buying more and more from primark.

And every mini cab I have ever got in leeds had an asian driver.

Generalising, I think I'm becoming a racist pikey. With a new found love for picnic bars, but I'm sure that is going off topic....
  • Options
    You've got no choice but to embrace your 'Sidcupness' Afka. Now you have kids Primarni is the only store you can afford.

How sad this thread is.

Sums up the madness of the modern world.

Andy had no intent of being racist in what he said.

Henners felt that what Andy had said was racist.

Who is right?

You don't have to prove the intent. You only have to have a victim. Someone who found what you said to be 'ist' i.e. sexist, racist, ageist etc....

Moral of the story in this crazy paranoid world we live in?

Be careful what, where & when you say it.

:-(