Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Pardew - Sound Familiar ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    We've signed 3 players and 1 on loan, and I dont think we've spent much over half a million, we've released about 14....Hardly going crazy signing people is he?
    Gully in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc3cXOTvOx8
  • Options
    Since he has taken over he has signed 4 players?

How much in total has he spent now? Must be over £3.5m?
  • Options
    No, this summer. None of the signings last season have been at all excessive, they've pretty much all gone straight into the first team, we had an absolute gash squad after administration so obviously needed to strengthen. Be around that I'd have thought, but Surman went for 1.5m about a week before he arrived and we've sold other players so transfers have probably only cost us about 1m over the last 2 years, and then that's easily been recouped in increased season tickets etc. The wage bill also wouldnt be much higher because we were paying crap like wayne thomas over 10k a week until we got rid of him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sfc86[/cite]No, this summer. None of the signings last season have been at all excessive, they've pretty much all gone straight into the first team, we had an absolute gash squad after administration so obviously needed to strengthen. Be around that I'd have thought, but Surman went for 1.5m about a week before he arrived and we've sold other players so transfers have probably only cost us about 1m over the last 2 years, and then that's easily been recouped in increased season tickets etc. The wage bill also wouldnt be much higher because we were paying crap like wayne thomas over 10k a week until we got rid of him.

... and you went into administration.

It wasn't sustainable then. Now, in a lower league, it's somehow sustainable. I wonder how long Liebherr's family will continue financing his pet project.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sfc86[/cite]No, this summer. None of the signings last season have been at all excessive, they've pretty much all gone straight into the first team, we had an absolute gash squad after administration so obviously needed to strengthen. Be around that I'd have thought, but Surman went for 1.5m about a week before he arrived and we've sold other players so transfers have probably only cost us about 1m over the last 2 years, and then that's easily been recouped in increased season tickets etc.The wage bill also wouldnt be much higher because we were paying crap like wayne thomas over 10k a weekuntil we got rid of him.

... and you went into administration.

It wasn't sustainable then. Now, in a lower league, it's somehow sustainable. I wonder how long Liebherr's family will continue financing his pet project.

It's sustainable now because we have no debts, before we had a 25million pound mortgage to pay off.
  • Options
    OK. I think I'll stop this conversation. I usually get annoyed when I see fans of clubs talk about how their big spending is all great and sustainable now after putting themselves in administration.

Fair enough.

Do you know why Cesana would agree to this deal?
  • Options
    You could also consider the fact that saints fans know a fair bit more about our club and its situation then other clubs fans?
    No idea, club fall out with the player, needed wages trimming a bit, Cortese apparently has some quite good contacts in Italy....your guess is as good as anyones though!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Saints fan, do you have any idea why Cesana would agree to this? The only two possibilities I can see are either that he's pony (either in ability or attitude) or that they're getting a big chunk of money for the 5 month deal.

No I do not have any idea why they would agree to this, he appears to be a fan favourite at Cesana.

The fee talked about in Italian papers was 1 million euros - They never mentioned the loan deal though.

My guess would be:
    £100k loan fee, £600k if he impresses to make the deal permanent.
    Saints pay 100% of his wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]OK. I think I'll stop this conversation. I usually get annoyed when I see fans of clubs talk about how their big spending is all great and sustainable now after putting themselves in administration.

To be fair i've never seen any Saints fan on here giving it about how much they've spent.
    But if you look at who he's signed. Lambert cost 1m but you can't knock that. Puncheon was a good buy and plenty of our fans wanted him. Barnard cost 200k, less than we're reportedly buying Benson for. Fonte was a good buy for this division, as was Frazer for 400k and i'm not sure who else they've really spent decent money on.
    As one of the Saints fans above says they've spent about 3.5m in total and got back 1.5 for Surman. Plus they went to Wembley and won the JPT and also had an FA Cup run and a big televised game with Pompey that would've made them money.
    I hate Pardew as much as the next Charlton fan but he hasn't exactly spent the tens of millions that some on here seem to think he has.
  • Options
    What kind of contracts are those guys on though....?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lambert's on 7/8k a week I believe, can't see anyone being on more then him. Just to clarify I think Pardew is crap and an absolute tosser who wont see out xmas at saints, but the one area he has done well in is signings, they've pretty much all been spot on and whoever takes over next is going to inherit one hell of a squad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sfc86[/cite]Lambert's on 7/8k a week I believe, can't see anyone being on more then him. Just to clarify I think Pardew is crap and an absolute tosser who wont see out xmas at saints, but the one area he has done well in is signings, they've pretty much all been spot on and whoever takes over next is going to inherit one hell of a squad.

now i like you at first i was unsure but now i like you

Pardew is a complete tosser
  • Options
    Chris - the amount Southampton have spent at your level is the equivalent of spending tens of millions in the prem. It's a huge amount of money when clubs like yourselves, us and many more are living as tight as possible.

As for Pardew, mentioned to a few people that the one thing I can see stopping Southampton get promoted is Pardew. Can't stand the fella.
  • Options
    How very dare you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont you know he once managed West Ham
  • Options
    I think I read at the time that the amount Saints paid for Lambert was more than Yeovil have spent on transfers in their entire history (ie adding up all the transfer fees they've ever spent)

Yeah, Chris, you're right that they're not having a go about how much they've spent, but he did talk about how things were great and rosey now they don't have that pesky mortgage to pay off (the bank - I think it was Halifax - wrote off a big chunk of that debt to let the takeover go through). Not the worst thing to say, but any time I see things like that, I can't help but think of the Nigels and tend to get a red mist. But I will not argue it.

Pardew is an absolute tosser, I agree.
  • Options
    Also signed Jose Fonte - 1.2m
    Dean Hammond - undisclosed
  • Options
    Is that right he's been given an 8 year contract?

(resurrected, just for @bedsaddick - as it's one of his)
    ;o)
  • Options
    something very wrong about that