Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

smoking at the valley?

Comments

• Options
    WTF do you do on long flights ? smoking, flithy dirty habbit, should ban the selling of cigs !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]i think people that smoke should be put to sleep, preferably from birth. it's the only language they understand!%-(>
    [cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]WTF do you do on long flights ? smoking, flithy dirty habbit, should ban the selling of cigs !

Don't know if either of the above are on wind-ups. But heres my threepenneth. I smoke but I don't drink. So going by whats written above all drinkers should be put to sleep, at birth and the sale of alcohol banned. I haven't noticed many gangs of "smoked up (tobacco only)" yobs starting trouble on a night out but can the same can't be said for those "pissed up" yobs.
  • Options
    What Southampton addick said.

I'd ban alot of things before i got to smoking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]i think people that smoke should be put to sleep, preferably from birth. it's the only language they understand!%-(>
    [cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]WTF do you do on long flights ? smoking, flithy dirty habbit, should ban the selling of cigs !

Don't know if either of the above are on wind-ups. But heres my threepenneth. I smoke but I don't drink. So going by whats written above all drinkers should be put to sleep, at birth and the sale of alcohol banned. I haven't noticed many gangs of "smoked up (tobacco only)" yobs starting trouble on a night out but can the same can't be said for those "pissed up" yobs.

I rally don't want to go down this road (but I will).

You don't see many bar staff suffering from lung disease because they work in a place where people drink alcohol.
    You don't see massive increases in the number of children with asthma because their parents drink.

And you don't see the government forced to take action to ban drinking in the way it has seen fit to ban smoking.

Sorry but you can not win a pro-smoking argument with an anti-drinking one.

If you want to argue for smoking at least use the pro-choice one.
  • Options
    Have to say I agree. Can't understand why smoking is seen as a sociable thing. Have never been able to understand why people enjoy smoking so much knowing the harm it does to them and how bad it makes them stink. No offence smokers and all that...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As I said earlier I'm not a smoker but I do have things in perspective. Just go check the figures on shipping and airplane emmisions and the coincidental rise of asthma world wide since central heating came about. Asthma cases are still on the rise, yet the amount of people smoking in the UK has come down dramatically in recent years...FACT!

One third of the emergency services time is taken up with drink related incidents.
    Hospital beds taken up with drink related illnesses is around 10 times greater than those for smokers.
    The worst thing about drinkers is that they get aggresive and talk bollocks when they're drunk...hence the above anti smoking rants!
  • Options
    The facts don't lie Olly ^
  • Options
    Fair do's. Honest question though, I've always wondered is why do people take up smoking? It's always seemed to me, particularly in this day and age that it's just because kids want to look cool and it goes from there, which to me seems a bit pathetic. Not fishing for arguments at all, just a genuine question. Why do people start? Any smokers on here, why did you start? I've tried it years ago, thought it was foul. Is it really just a matter of taste?
  • Options
    Wasnt aimed at you Olly...understood it was more a question. Just waiting for someone to come up with some smoke-driving argument lol.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Wasnt aimed at you Olly...understood it was more a question. Just waiting for someone to come up with some smoke-driving argument lol.

Depends what your smoking mate, then you have an argument.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Wasnt aimed at you Olly...understood it was more a question. Just waiting for someone to come up with some smoke-driving argument lol.

Don't see how thats relevant at all, as nobody on the thread has tried to justify driving whilst under the influence of anything.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    All good points Windscreen, I still don't think the anti drinking argument is the best way to win the pro-smoking one.

The same as you don't win the legalise drugs argument by comparing the dangers of it to drinking.

I think someone Mum once said "Two wrongs, don't make a right."

The pro-choice argument is much stronger and much more valid.

"I don't smoke, and nor do I intend to, but I'm uneasy about a blanket ban because it sets a dangerous precedent about the reach of the state." Lembit Opik, ex Liberal Democrat MP

"This is not an issue about smoking. It's about freedom. I do not smoke and I do not like going into smoky places, and so I don't. That is my choice. There is no need for more nanny-state government interference." Philip Davies, Conservative MP
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I take your point entirely HT...I also dont like to be in the company of smokers, but I agree this nanny state mindset is a little worrying on a universal level. Keeping to the essence of this thread, it just seems that smokers are generally open minded and to a point tolerant of drinkers, whereas many in the non smoking fraternity, drinkers or not, are manic in their hatred of others that have aquired equally unhealthy habits.

ps. I am not anti drinking, was just using it as a comparrison because it is a more accepted drug.
  • Options
    I wasn't using anti drinking as a debate for pro smoking I was using it as an example of the I don't do it/like it so lets ban it brigade.

I smoke because i choose to. People drink because they choose to. It all comes down to choice everyone makes choices whether they are right or wrong. You make your choice you live with the consequences.

I started smoking when I was 15 I am now fi... a lot older. Why I started I'm not sure probably the same reason as any other "cool" thing pier(sp) pressure, because you think you look good etc. I do consider giving up from time to time and have stopped for long periods in the past. Whether that makes me a bad person I'll let everyone else decide.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

Don't see how thats relevant at all, as nobody on the thread has tried to justify driving whilst under the influence of anything.

Sorry attempt at a joke...Sorry Boss.
  • Options
    Just for the record I used to smoke 40 a day and drink quite heavy. Im still a drinker, probably 40 - 60 units a week , far too much but i enjoy it. Reason for giving up the fags, woke up one morning and felt like someone was sitting on my chest ! Fingers crossed im over the fags and no lasting damage done, saying that I could have one most days !!!
    So there you go a smoker and a drinker, oh , and yes , I have got in pissed up rumbles , all part of growing up :-)

"The worst thing about drinkers is that they get aggresive and talk bollocks when they're drunk...hence the above anti smoking rants!" ??? does this mean all on here are pissed up lol !! ???
  • Options
    It's been suggested that smoking is a social "thing". That's nonsense. Smokers are addicted to a lethal cocktail of poisons that kill and cause immeasurable harm. They cannot give up or else they would. Of those that do try to stop the vast majority are sucked back in because of the strength of chemical addiction not because they miss the comraderie of their smoking pals huddled in a draughty toilet in a football stadium. I think you can see where I stand on smoking but actually I couldn't give a stuff if all the worlds smokers puffed themselves into oblivion. What I do object to is being subjected to their second hand stench and poison whilst I am taking a piss or for that matter anything else. I see the results of "social" smoking everyday and trust me it ain't pretty.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]All good points Windscreen, I still don't think the anti drinking argument is the best way to win the pro-smoking one.

The same as you don't win the legalise drugs argument by comparing the dangers of it to drinking.

I think someone Mum once said "Two wrongs, don't make a right."

The pro-choice argument is much stronger and much more valid.

"I don't smoke, and nor do I intend to, but I'm uneasy about a blanket ban because it sets a dangerous precedent about the reach of the state." Lembit Opik, ex Liberal Democrat MP

"This is not an issue about smoking. It's about freedom. I do not smoke and I do not like going into smoky places, and so I don't. That is my choice. There is no need for more nanny-state government interference." Philip Davies, Conservative MP

That freedom is fine as long as it doesn't impinge on anyone else's freedom. Me? I wan't the freedom to breath fresh air without being choked by someone else's filthy stinking anti-social habit.
  • Options
    Can't see how a smoker can argue that it's a choice.

An addiction is not a choice.

Is a smokers 'freedom' to smoke greater than my freedom to breathe clean air?

I really wish the people who smoke in the toilets at half time wouldn't.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]
    I really wish the people who smoke in the toilets at half time wouldn't.[/quote]

I spose we could invite some Hampsted Cottagers ,,, that would sort the men from the boys and the smokers as well ! lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]It's been suggested that smoking is a social "thing". That's nonsense. Smokers are addicted to a lethal cocktail of poisons that kill and cause immeasurable harm. They cannot give up or else they would. Of those that do try to stop the vast majority are sucked back in because of the strength of chemical addiction not because they miss the comraderie of their smoking pals huddled in a draughty toilet in a football stadium. I think you can see where I stand on smoking but actually I couldn't give a stuff if all the worlds smokers puffed themselves into oblivion. What I do object to is being subjected to their second hand stench and poison whilst I am taking a piss or for that matter anything else. I see the results of "social" smoking everyday and trust me it ain't pretty.

I thought the physical addiction was gone after 1 week of not smoking? That's what everybody seem to says.

I found it a struggle breaking the "habit" rather than the "joy" of smoking. Had a routine I was in and felt like I needed one at those points in the day. I managed to break that routine by accident and ain't smoked for 3 months. Long may it continue cos it stinks!
  • Options
    In some respects you are correct SLL. The chemical addiction does cease quite soon after smoking ceases but addiction is much more complex than just the chemical aspects. The body remembers what the chemical addiction did and does not give that up easily. Much is made of the smoking "ritual" but that is just a manifestation of our mind / body making excuses to have another smoke. Good luck with your attempt to stop.
  • Options
    I smoked for 30 years, I was on at least 40 a day at the end. Most cant stop because it is an addiction and a very hard one to break. Its an habitual addiction so you are always wanting one when you would normally have one no matter where you are. I packed up 4 years ago and have never wanted another one since. Not even the slightest desire for one, I dont like the smell of it now but do understand the need to do it. I think maybe the club should open up somewhere outside fenced off so that we dont get people smoking in the toilets. i'm so glad i dont have to stand outside a pub in the rain to get my fix but i have done that in the past.
  • Options
    can we get back to the topic

when are we going to have a designated smoking area like derby and treat all fans with a bit more respect irelevant if they smoke or not

the derby model should be followed by every club in the land

do we still have a fans forum or not
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]can we get back to the topic

when are we going to have a designated smoking area like derby and treat all fans with a bit more respect irelevant if they smoke or not

the derby model should be followed by every club in the land

do we still have a fans forum or not

Sorry sitemaster i thought i was on topic having mentioned getting an area for the smokers ;-)
  • Options
    It's a fair point NLA. Regardless of personal views the issue of smokers at The Valley has to be addressed. At present it seems the club has it's head in the sand. Can't see any real problem with allowing a fenced off area outside the stadium being made available.
  • Options
    i tell you what though, why the feck does my nine year old have to choke like buggery when he wants a pee at half time.If you want a fag and you're billy big bollocks, just have one on the concourse.It's worse when it's condensed in the bogs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]i tell you what though, why the feck does my nine year old have to choke like buggery when he wants a pee at half time.If you want a fag and you're billy big bollocks, just have one on the concourse.It's worse when it's condensed in the bogs.

Thats true, if your going to do it then do it somewhere in the open.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]i tell you what though, why the feck does my nine year old have to choke like buggery when he wants a pee at half time.If you want a fag and you're billy big bollocks, just have one on the concourse.It's worse when it's condensed in the bogs.

Thats true, if your going to do it then do it somewhere in the open.

What he said. On the stair well or even in the seated areas would be better than in the bogs, the most confined area in the ground.
  • Options
    Pmsfl uncle wernt aimed at your rubbish twaddle

Would be good if we could have a answer rather than the one I expect to be carpeted out with regards to cost.

We have an opportunity to give back to a large percentage of its fan base. And to relieve conflict with those that don't smoke

The feeling off pure joy at Derby for smokers and non smokers that was playing cricket against the cop car that day was worth the entrance fee alone

I have not felt so well treated at any of the grounds I have visited
    Derby also said it had reduced conflicts